You can't beat a bit of irony!

Apparently someone had reported a strange car on the land of someone fairly well connected and they were sent to investigate. When Jerome saw them he drove away from them down a narrow track. They, two of them, opened fire and killed him.

Seeing that they were searching for him to try and help him, they must have been given his car registration number.

Totally with you this Stella. Perhaps they could retrain them to deal with the 400,000 backlogged applications for exchange de permis de conduire. I’m a founding member of a FB group Applying for a French driving licence (should really say exchange but that’s too long) . Many people have posted comments in there that they have waited over a year and one couple have just got theirs back after a total of 14 MONTH’s. I’ve had an email (remember they only reply here to one question at a time so I still have no confirmation they actually have my application or that it is correct) saying they are currently dealing with applications submitted in August - doesn’t say which year
Assuming it’s 2018 ours won’t get looked at (assuming it got to the correct Dept as we only sent it CS - didn’t know about AR) until April . If there’s a no deal Brexit under the current U.K. Gov advisory our licences will no longer be accepted here and it says we may have to take a French driving test . At 63 with a memory problem there is no way I will pass that even if I could afford it . Minimum cost is €1300 & it takes a minimum (by law) of 20 lessons (recommended 40) before you are put in for a test plus 9 weeks to get your permit after passing . Given where we live we’d be dead from starvation before getting it.

1 Like

Ignore the U.K. government information re driving licences and read what the French Interior Ministry say, there will be no need to re-take your driving test.

There will be if there is a no deal and we WILL be 3rd Country Nationals after March even is there isn’t one. Even as an EU citizen you only have 18 months to exchange your EU issued licence. I wouldn’t mind betting there’s a whole Li of people going to get caught out. https://www.demarches.interieur.gouv.fr/particuliers/echange-permis-conduire-passe-europe

Your link is irrelevant. There is no requirement for EU nationals resident in France to exchange a valid driving until it expires. That will change for UK citizens after Brexit but even in the case of a no deal they will have a year to do so. U.K. citizens moving to France after Brexit will also have a year to exchange their licences.
This is what you need to be reading. It has been posted so many times already I’m surprised that you haven’t seen it before.

1 Like

A bit of irony French style.

Whilst sitting in the doctor’s waiting room at the medical centre yesterday in my nearest town, I overheard two elderly locals talking about this and that.

Too many immigrants here, there aren’t even enough jobs for the French! Everything was much better during De Gaulle’s time. The immigrants are taking everything, causing trouble and give nothing back, why are we even in Europe ?
We fought a war and now the people we fought are better off than us.

The irony 
 population of less than 2,000 people in the town. Immigrants, well apart from a few full time British, some Romanians, and in Summer Dutch, Belgian and German second home owners there aren’t many !

What’s really ironic is that without the 2 new Romanian immigrant doctors, the new Romanian immigrant dentist and the new Romanian immigrant physiotherapist the medical centre would be closed. There are no French doctors who want to bury theirselves in rural France !

I can only assume that the immigrants they were talking about were those they had seen on the tv who weren’t the same colour 
 white!

If people can be so ignorant, racist and xenophobic in such a small community then what chance is there for the future ?

Quite frankly if I hadn’t been feeling so low I would have challenged their views !

5 Likes

You get similar comments in Cornwall where the real harm to the local economy has been done by British second home owners who have priced the locals out of the housing market. Cornwall has also benefitted hugely from EU grants, more, I believe, than any other county. They voted leave however by a huge margin and the FB comments that I’ve seen are all about the EU controlling the borders and forcing laws on Britain or about immigrants taking all the jobs. In my opinion very few of these moans came from actual first hand experience but were invented, talked about and exaggerated down in the pub.

We have a new Romanian Doctor here in our commune of approx 1600 people
lots of rural satellite hamlets
and a merger with another small commune
when I first arrived there was no doctor and no corner shop
the Marie have worked incredibly hard to secure both
and the way I see it to keep our little commune close knit and relevant to local needs

I admit the only time I went to see our Romanian doctor was to try and fathom my way through the Carte Vitale process
he was lovely
spoke perfect English and although I offered to pay for his time In talking to me he wouldn’t take a cent from me as I wasn’t ill
xxx

The real irony is that three French doctors have retired here last year, an appeal went out with no French takers. Without these well qualified and young Romanians we wouldn’t have any doctors !

There aren’t a great number of ‘foreign’ second home owners here, rather it’s mainly Parisians who have been grabbing bargains !

2 Likes

In my old village 4 MTs either left or retired within just a few years. They were replaced with, initially, a Romanian doctor who himself left shortly after and now an African doctor. We were fortunate to get on the books of a doctor in a village 10km away and she closed her list soon after. She was a wonderful MT and would come out to us at very short notice. I don’t know what we would have done without her.

I hope you are feeling better Ann and it’s nothing too serious.

Sending love xx

1 Like

From my experience in France, for immigrants read Arabs!

Absolutely certainly not us Brits, how dare we be called immigrants! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::thinking:

One of the reasons I adore our wonderful Romanian lady MT is that we both speak to each other in mangled French with thick foreign accents and understand each other perfectly, even words like démangeaison, prédispositions, and la phase maniaque pop out perfectly formed, if a little ruffled, like newly hatched chicks! :hatching_chick::hatching_chick::hatching_chick:

2 Likes

I remember when we residents were given the choice of a tax to lose, because the state was in surplus, around 1999 I think.
The majority went for the tv license even though the car tax was higher. The state said no, car tax is going and I became suspicious as to why they would do that.
Subsequent years saw a huge increase in “safety cameras” and , of course, in fines, SATNAVS were forbidden to show the exact position of cameras and, of course, revenue went up immensely.
I do not speed much, and try to keep to the limits, especially in towns, but a 5% tolerance is hard to keep to so I either drive well below the limit and don’t get fined but get tailgated, overtaken dangerously and generally vilified for being an escargot or drive nearer the limit and very occasionally go over it as I have other things to look at like other road users, road conditions, real dangers etc.
I believe that this was a deliberate decision by the government to gain more income and hs very little to do with road safety, the 80kph limit being the latest example.
I want to drive safely and watch the road and its users for potential dangers, not my speedometer!

As a former Vulcan navigator, I take great exception to this post;I am pleased that I was not called upon to protect you from those who wished you harm, of which there are many in this world.
I also spent 5 1/2 months in the Falklands, those people were grateful that we helped them to remain British. What would have been your solution to the invasion of their country?

3 Likes

Raymond you are entitled to your opinion and responsible for your own emotional reaction to mine.

I respect your professional calling, but I don’t value the exercise of warfare. It has never done me any good, nor anyone of my life-long acquaintance. Nor in my 80 years of encounter with foreigners have I ever felt threatened by anyone. The threat I know is that of people who make warfare their career, and who profit from fostering it abroad. Including politicians, especially those of the right.

As for the Falklands: an imperial outpost, an anachronism. The people deserved a negotiated settlement that protected their rights to citizenship, residency, and property, whilst recognising the legitimacy of the Argentine territorial claim to administration. The Argentines sought to negotiate that, but the British were arrogantly obstructive. Same old colonial, imperialist and supercilious entitlement as was evidenced in India, Africa and more widely. Wasting human life, including British life, and squandering our money too.

Pretty ‘narrow’ experience then Ronald
 :thinking:

Well said Raymond and total respect to you - odious comments both before and immediately after your post! PG never felt threatened due to the very actions of you and your colleagues. Chapeau! How wonderful it must be to live in 'Fairy, Dairy Land’ eh?

2 Likes

I’m not quite sure what you mean. Whenever I met my French friends and neighbours they never complained about Poles or Albanians or Russians, certainly not the British etc but they always moaned about the Arabs.

The same over-inflated ideas about our importance which underlie much of the Brexit bluster as well.

1 Like