You know it's Spring in France when

Spring is here when you can play 'Name that tune' with the birds on the power lines, anyone remember that television show?

You hear the rev of a motor scooter outside of the ÉlysĂ©e Palace at midnight.

Its snowing here!

Thank Melissa, don't feel too bad now!! Hope weather improves soon though.

Don't be too envious as the weather here in the south west if not the whole of France is not brilliant - Sunshine and Showers sums it up and rain forecast for the next week or so.

You are all making me feel very envious as I ready this sat in my office in the UK willing our move to France to happen asap!! (Although I am in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales on a bright, sunny morning so could be worse!)

Les petites jonquilles appear in the woods and fields by the hundreds (and clusters of violets) - but I wont say where - mine for the picking! ![](upload://86sDz0q8P9mYk8mIU22FS5zip8S.JPG)

... and some restaurants start to reopen after their 3-4 month redecoration/winter/ski holiday closure and Supermarkets start to stock swimming pool products again - but don't buy any 'till the promos in April!

I'm with you on the hirondelles. Never get too cocky about the arrival of spring! Here in the heights of the Mont's d'Arree (not unlike Wales or Dartmoor!) it's not about the temperature but about the wind, as we are exposed to everything the Atlantic can hurl at us and this year it's been pretty angry. Keen gardeners here don't really put sensitive stuff into their gardens until after the first of May. Signs of spring? Birds singing (have heard great activity very early this year) and litter of twigs and moss dropped by nest building birds. The type of agricultural machinery passing through the village is also a sure sign, along with passing groups of cyclists and,a little later, motorcycle clubs. For me it's the first day I can lower the car hood. Oh yes, people start to smile a bit more, and as people get out more we remember the ones that won't be here this year.

... you can't get a parking space in the Lidl car park for the annual return of masses of Belgian/Dutch/German camping cars. However, I prefer the return of the late spring hirondelles

yes, it’s true
yesterday I attacked the fridge freezer & floors with a little help from my 2 year old who kept trying to put her books in the fridge x
today - good sort out of wardrobes!

Do you!!! Really?..

• you get the urge to spring clean like a mad person

You sit out at lunch-time with your glass of wine in shorts and t-shirt!

Well, you are if you’re my parents in Charente-Maritime, whilst I’m wrapped up in all my layers and warm boots in Burton-on-Trent ;o)

tiny buds apear on your cherry tree’s

And the scooters, don’t forget the scooters!

F

You can’t brush the ponies without getting covered in hair
You get the odd day when you can turn your horses out without rugs on
The girls are playing on the trampoline wearing T shirts
You find yourself looking wistfully out of your office window wishing you were in the garden
You think to yourself ‘It’s about time I deflea the cat’

I love this post - so cheerful!

. France turns into TractorLand as everyone is out planting their fields

• Lycra clad gents -of all ages- out on bicycles, dress as if they are in the Tour de France
  • The Vide Grenier little orange handbook is published
  • IntermarchĂ© starts displaying the garden furniture

Here in Normandy though, we don’t have the windows and doors open just yet!! Still a bit nippy for that;-)

• you don’t need the tumble dryer anymore
  • you hear millions of birds cheaping outside (that’s when the sound of the builder’s drill stops)
  • everybody smiles