Your Art

Hi!

I have a question for everyone. What does creating art mean to you? Is it your passion? A way to earn a living? An enjoyable hobby you pursue? Is it your top priority after your loved ones? Do you work at it every day or is it something you do only when you have some free time?

For me, art is my life. I have never wanted to be anything but an artist. I literally hurt if I don't make art. I work in my studio...or out in the field...every day. Even when I am ill I do drawings and little projects. I resent anything that keeps me from creating. (I sound a little extreme, don't I? lol) I earn my living through my art but I will never stop creating it...even if I am only creating it for myself. So, art is definitely my passion.

Please share your thoughts...

Wonderful painting, Suzy! Well, as long as you are creating on a regular basis, it doesn't matter the medium. :) I have always said that, if I lived in a cardboard box, I would burn the ends of sticks to make a simple charcoal, draw designs in the dirt, use whatever I could lay hands on to make art. Look at the cave paintings in Lascaux. Where there is a will, there is a way. I hope you have a grand week!

Hi Debra, that wall easel looks fun,I used to just bang a nail in the wall to hang the canvas,but in this house I have no wall space available. I too used to paint in a tiny bedsit.But you can't really throw the paint around.As I draw every day I don't need any chains broken.![](upload://6XFZYjbuC1J9hxTnOIfVElTjMqj.jpg)

Heres a painting I did with photoshop,no need of space and no mess.

It is nice to see a little activity here again. Thank you for posting, Rachael. I hope you are doing well, Suzy!

I haven't always had a studio space. I have worked in any space available. I used to keep my sketchbooks and drawing materials on one side of my sofa. Even in my studio, I have to set out and put away materials. The only items that stay out are my pastels on tables and the paintings on the easels. I suppose my years in art school...during the Stone Age...when I had to carry my materials, set them out, then put them away for each class taught me to accept the extra time setting up and cleaning up. I believe a lot of artists don't have the luxury of a studio. One well-known American pastel artist used to paint in her dining room using the table to hold both her pastels and her baby in a carrier. It was the only place she had to work and she was supporting herself and son with her art.

There is an easel that helps address lack of work space and allows you to keep your wips out. Here is a link to it: http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/easels/rue-wall-easels.htm I am sure other art suppliers offer it, too. A kitchen island cart on wheels would make a great place to hide your art materials when you aren't using them. You could use the work surface to hold your palette, etc. They are not inexpensive but they are no worse than a nice taboret. I have seen them for approximately 265 euros.

Can you tell I get a little excited when I am trying to encourage someone to break the chains and paint? Anyway, it is nice to find a kindred spirit here, Rachael. Please post some examples of your work when you are able.

I envy you Rachael,I get up in the morning with full intentions to paint but I find other things to do,nothing of importance,then its too late so I put it off till the next day. Maybe the fact that I've spent most of my life drawing for a living and working to command, has something to do with it;I don't know.I don't have much work at present so have plenty of time, but unless I have a reason to paint,an exhibition or a commission,I find it hard to be motivated.I think if I had a studio,such as Debra has, where everything is set up, it would be different,having to get my paints out each time on the dinner table is not very motivating.

Hi Debra, great subject. Yes it hurts for me not to create too, so I hurt a lot as I have to do "normal" work for a living which takes up most of my time. I always look forward to my weekends to have some time for my passion. When I can't do art I am dreaming about it and planning. I too hate everything that keeps me from it, so it's not extreme. I have just had to learn to live with the constant pinings...

Hi Jan, you must miss your daughter,but I think England is probably the best place,hope all works out well for her.

Hi all after chatting with my daughter she was insistant that I edit all her personal info, as it was too late to edit I had to delete as suggested by James. Thankyou again for all your input, although she has read all your replies and sends her thanks too. :)))

Jan, your daughter's work is quite good and shows great promise for a long career as an artist. I know a few fantasy artists who design cards for gaming and created illustrations for niche magazines, calendars and books. I don't know if there are sci-fi and fantasy conventions in the UK but there are many fantasy artists who sell their work at these events. There is usually a vendor's room and/or artist's area. I have a deviantart page. If your daughter is interested in looking at it, let me know and I will give you the link.

I understand,my son would have reacted the same. Tell her theres only a few of us in this group and we're artists so understand her totally,no judgement.Show her what I've written. Obviously what you wrote came from a worried mum (aren't we all)don't pass those onto her,and maybe she should start seeing herself as a digital artist first and foremost.She has to believe in her talent and when she's ready make the step up to selling herself as such.This isn't easy so a couple of years in an animation studio would be good,to be with fellow artists,to get her into the real world.

Ask James how to edit,he can do it for you.

Wise words and it's a point of view I hadn't thought of in terms of her mundane job fuelling her imagination, all I've ever wanted is that she be happy with whatever it is she does and maybe this works for her. I have been asked by her to redact some of the things I've written about her on this forum, she is unhappy that I have divulged too much personal information and is worried. Problem is I'm not sure how to do that, I know you can edit a post within 15 mins of posting, I'm not sure if I can edit it now I'd be grateful if someone could advise me.

I'm not sorry that I've posted on here because the replies that the post received have been very helpful to me in understanding how things are, sometimes a parent can't see the wood for the trees and it takes an outside perspective to see things in a different light, again thankyou ladies for your insight into a world that I have little understanding of. :))))

Wow,what an imagination she has....and that tatoo drawing is excellent.Certainly worth more than sausage rolls.But most of us have trouble putting a price on our work.We always think we're not good enough to charge much,yet some people who have no talent, don't seem to care and ask huge prices. She's definately got talent,what she's doing digitally is very good,Divas story p 1 looks SO professional,and I loved 'I need you' and 'journey'. I don't know when she did 'pencil girl',its always good to see a basic drawing, but there you can see she can draw,and would be very good with life drawing classes,but she'd need a good teacher.I can see how she wouldn't fit in to French art schools. Her boring job at Tescos will only fuel her imagination. I would think when she's older she'll see for herself if she wants to go the professional route in illustration.Getting into animation would be great for her.

You've got a talented daughter who is not taking the 'normal' route in life,thank goodness for people like that, she's not worried about pensions and stuff and why should she be at 22. Things work out.Its so easy in France to get caught up in the functionaires mentality,get a safe job and stay there till you retire.Not much of a life and certainly not for an artist.I feel that you see her using the digital work as an escape from reality,why don't you see her as a fantasy artist who is working at Tescos to pay the bills.

You should be proud of her uniqeness and she's definately not 'scribbling',She's producing good work,its all a learning process and she can only improve.

Yes its really bad here for young people to get work,qualifications just to work at McDo.So its no wonder she's frustrated,it drove my son round the bend.He had moments like your daughter without work, and he was glued to video games.He took a couple of stages and now he's doing really well,he's a stone mason.So don't worry they do get through;and she's stll young. Its just that theres more pressure in france to follow the crowd,individualism isn't encouraged.Being able to be alone is part of being an artist,so if she gets enjoyment from art its good.She can create great stuff with the Wacom tablet, she should look at some artists who work digital,depends on her style.Ask her to show you some of her work and maybe we can suggest a direction for her.

Jan, I second Debras remark. You didn't say how hold your daughter is.Anything one does is never a waste,its all experience.Sometimes we need to have a break from studying.I know here qualifications are all that count,but maybe she can go back to college later. Is she bilingual? She can use her french.Is there maybe a life drawing class in the area? I'm sensing her problem is perhaps to do with France,why did she not stay with you and sort out other art studies?

I gave drawing lessons to a young boy for 4 yrs whom I could see had talent.I taught him to look,how to work in line variations.Some days just drawing boxes of pasta piled on top of one another,training the eye.He is now in an art school doing a 5 year illustration course.In France if you want to learn to draw you need to take illustration courses,not fine art. Let us know how she gets on.

You are more than welcome, Jan. Anything I post here you are free to forward to your daughter.

How wonderful about your novels! Are they still available?

The business end of a career in fine art is unappealing to many artists. I believe that is why there are more struggling artists than financially successful artists who don't have to rely on a "day job". I don't always like the business part of my art career but, I have learned to accept it. In other jobs one has to often do something not to one's liking but necessary. So, you do what you have to and try to find at least something of worth in it. I focus on the fact that I would rather be in control of my life instead of being subservient to someone else. I value my independence.

I am happy to hear that a chair is calling you! If you don't mind, would you post photos of your work in progress. I am always eager to see other artist's processes. :)

Thankyou ladies for your kind thoughts and words in regards to my daughter, if it's alright with you I'll copy and paste your replies onto her so she can follow your links. She's actually working in Tesco's in the south of England, what a waste of a Baccalaureate in Litereature. She is on one of those zero contract hours and she usually does around 17 hours a week earning just enough to pay her sister lodgings with enough left over for travel expenses and toiletries, it's ridiculous because they would rather take on another part time member of staff than give her a full time job and all the while not paying tax and hardly any NI she's not really contributing towards her future pension and other benefits.... but that's a whole different subject and I really should stay away from politics as it's very bad for my blood pressure, so thankyou again for your words it's good to know I'm not alone :)

Hi
I hope that you can see your daughter soon as you miss her so much.

There is a lot written about people who have suffered a breakdown, a period of mental illness, a crisis of confidence whatever you like to call it and the artistic temperament. Kay Redfield Jamison wrote a great deal about the link between, depression, bipolar and melancholia and artistic expression. Winston Churchill had a brilliant mind but was plagued by his moods and wrote a book about his 'black dog' metaphor for his darks moments.

I hope that through her drawing and continuing to communicate with you she finds confidence in herself again. And that more positive experiences will help her to enjoy her talent and grow as an artist in her unique way.