Your Art

Hi

You have reminded me that a while ago I was on facebook and twitter marketing two novels which I wrote and which found a publisher, nevertheless I tried to be involved with the sales of the books myself and gave several readings and signings. So I do have it in me but for the moment have lost confidence and I suppose its easier to think and daydream about something which may never happen. I have sold paintings privately and in galleries, in England. I hate the money aspect of selling paintings and am no good at pricing them, especially to friends, so I suppose having a gallery again would detach me from all that.

I too go and paint when I cant sleep. I can feel another chair coming on soon!

Jan,sorry to hear about what your daughter had to go through,I'm not surprised on one hand as the french can get very snobby,yet BD is seen as an art form,so the prof had no right to criticise her.But I think french teachers seem to believe they can say any crushing thing to a student.My son was destroyed by the french system of education. I understand that Beaux Art schools are not the best places if you want to learn to draw and paint,you don't even have to show a portfolio to be accepted,its based on academic work,so your daughter must be very clever to have been accepted.
How old is she?and where in the UK is she?Can she get into an art school there?
If you want to contact me I can offer any help with her work.

Wonderful, fiona! I am glad to hear that you are passionate about art! It is sometimes difficult to express to others how art is vital to me. They don't understand the drive you feel to create with no concern if you make money from it or not. If you look at photos of famous artist's studios...such as Pablo Picasso's...you will see stacks and stacks work. He certainly didn't sell them all, even with his reputation, yet he constantly produced. If I was given three more lifetimes, I would never be able to turn all the ideas in my mind into pieces of art...and I am constantly being bombarded by new ideas. Artist's block has never been an issue for me. Sometimes I can't sleep due to my passion and will go down to my studio to work rather than wrestle with my bed. :)

I find Facebook and twitter to be necessary evils. I recently sold a piece of my work via Facebook...even though it was still in progress. I also maintain a blog and I am currently revamping my website. I will link all my online services to my website. It seems most sales of art are online now. So, I am working hard to learn how to effectively market online. It is easier than setting up a tent, display system, and carrying dozens of framed paintings to art festivals every weekend. I never get rained on, I don't have to pay for countless spaces in which to pitch my tent, and I don't pay commissions to galleries. It has increased my income while decreasing my overall expenses.

Anyway, keep sharing your work! I love seeing it.

I am so sorry to hear of your daughter's experience, Jan. I firmly believe that comic book art is an art form just as valuable as any other. The art world still has rather impressive pockets of snobbery, chauvinism, and intolerance. I wish I could offer some help to your daughter. Do tell her that there are other artists, such as me, who appreciate her passion and are supportive of her dreams.

On the practical side, there are online art coaches that offer free advice that could help her market her art via the Internet. She can break away from being a struggling artist. I have tried some of the techniques offered and sold a painting...in progress...on Facebook. People are following me on twitter and via my blog. There is increasing interest in my work. Three good art coaches who provide free information (although they do offer paid courses as well) are Cory Huff of The Abundant Artist, Brainard Carey, and Jason Horejs of Xanadu Gallery. They have videos on youtube, present free webinars, and two of them have written books to help artists market their work. I have managed to improve my marketing skills through the free information alone.

If you have any questions that I might answer to help your daughter, please ask...

Sorry to confuse everyone. I did post this on the Art & Design group, too. In that discussion, I believe I mentioned that I posted the same question here. I was trying to make certain that everyone in the two groups saw it. I will refrain from doing that again as it did cause an issue. Just post on Art & Design. :)

Its not you Fiona,you are replying to her message here,but she also posted it on another discussion....Creating Art.

Sorry to confuse you. I thought I was on the Art without limits as I was replying to Debras meesage. I am confused too, now

This is getting confusing,there seems to be 4 or maybe 5 art sections now.I replied to this subject on the Creating Art page,as did Neil. Can we not keep it to the original Art and Design Dept and the new Art without limits?

Hi Debra

Thanks for starting such a wonderful subject to write about!
There are lots of things you mentioned which resonate, for me especially the need to be creative is so strong and for myself I feel I would have no purpose to live without that, having no children. It is not that it fills a void it just is my reason to be.

Having for many years lived with illness, I struggled and the life of an artist felt too insecure. Working for a company as a graphic designer in a regular job in a supportive environment and painting before and after work became a good compromise. Now, in France I think I have a balance - getting involved in teaching drawing and painting and painting and drawing myself. Hopeless at routine but obsessive by nature, I produce work and in the production of painting after painting I get into my stride and daydream about finding a gallery in france, another theme, entering a competition.

I tend to keep off facebook and twitter and find myself at home on this site. Going to have a look at some more of other people s work now.