Your first book - which did you buy?

I was prompted into thinking about this by the sad death of Patrick Moore and his books for boys. Which book did you buy with your own money?

Glyn

I can't remember. I do have a memory of going to the local newsagents with my Dad and buying the Beano Annual (well I had to bring the whole intellectual standard down) but whether that was with my own money. I was fortunate that my brother and sister were 5 & 6 years older than me, so I didn't really have to buy books. I think the first book I went out and bought was Selected Poems by TS Eliot. Then there was no stopping me!

Lord of the Rings when I was 9 and not allowed to borrow it from the library, as it was in the adult section, never mind I had read everything worth reading in the kids section. Spent my birthday money on it, still have my copy albeit battered and ver well thumbed

That's a good question! It's the "with your own money" part that makes it difficult for me. Maybe Kerouac's On the Road , Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance , Abbie Hoffmans Steal this book or Yoko Ono's Grapefruit. That would have been in the early seventies when I was sixteen.

Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island, Regent Classics in Woolworths on Wimbledon Broadway about Easter 1957. I bought Kidnapped, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and The Black Arrow: A Tale of the Two Roses during the summer holiday same year.