Your interior design

I was trying to keep vaguely on topic to gites, but I have SO MANY horror stories about french estate agents, the property details, and visits round properties :rofl: One place we literally ran out of as it was like ā€˜attack of the killer fliesā€™ when we opened the door, thousands dead on the floor, and thousands more buzzing around making an extraordinary noise. The fact that an agent wouldnā€™t bother to check before astonished me. But yes, the details are so awful. I asked one (British) agent about a floor plan or room dimensions band he looked at me with a mixture of confusion and horror as if Iā€™d just said I wanted to cook and eat his first born with some fava beans and a nice chianti. I think most have finally reached the twentieth century now, photos are actually in colour not sepia, and actually contain more words than ā€œHouse, 4 roomsā€, but I think itā€™ll be several decades before they start doing the annoying drone fly throughs that they do in the states these daysā€¦,

3 Likes

I particularly enjoy it when you get to see the estate agent, mobile phone in hand, reflected in the mirror when they show you the bathroom :grin:

3 Likes

Perhaps we should create a spin-off thread where we can share details of house of horrors weā€™ve seen.

4 Likes

That would be good as it is yawing away from a complaint.

Thatā€™s how I got my first job in photography, but for another tread, as you mentioned.

1 Like

Sadly not! Most people are happy with the results they get with their phones etc. Unless youā€™re dealing with large chateaux etc, most gite owners are reluctant to spend more than 50ā‚¬ - and for that they expect photos and a video of the entire complex. Given that Iā€™d typically spend at least a half day at their location followed by 2 days editing etc, itā€™s really not viable!

3 Likes

And our total annual marketing budget is under ā‚¬400 so not viable from our side either!

The most common problem with estate agentsā€™ photos (as with used cars) is the distortion that occurs when the aspect ratio is changed to make them fit into a predetermined frame.

When we were selling our UK house I took all the photos and corrected parallax and wide angle distortion in Photoshop, but thanks to the uncertainty generated by Brexit, it still took two years to sell.

2 Likes

Yes, sadly I wasnā€™t imagining that they were beating a path to your door, some of the horrors Iā€™ve seen are testament to that, just that they needed to be! It is such a false economy though in some cases, shitty photos if not accompanied by an extremely small price are a sign to scroll on by in my book, it just shows a lack of effort and attention to detail, but Iā€™m a weirdo about such things, maybe Iā€™m missing some gold. Even if they could manage to upload the photos the right way up would perhaps be a start :rofl:

1 Like

Probably 12" :joy:

1 Like

you wishšŸ˜ƒ

Having looked at quite a lot of houses in Italy, a drone fly past is not unusual for a country house.

1 Like

I dont use it as a ruleā€¦:joy:

1 Like

Quite.

Estate agents love using ā€˜fish eyeā€™ wide angle lens. Distorts but makes the room look bigger than reality.

Not art!

1 Like

We used a drone for aerial shots of our UK country house. Picked up by Country Life for editorial and sold within the month. Absolutely worth the extra charge.

1 Like

In my view it looks stunning and has given me a few ideas that I may well copy!

silly remark.

Is that so?

Reallyā€¦no do not think so,

The thirdā€¦Do tell, Porridge!