Your most positive experiences please

1. The weather
  2. the space
  3. the countryside (gorges, moutains, rivers, forests....)
  4. the food
  5. the cultural and organised social life
  6. in my experience the people are as friendly as "back home"
  7. as an expat, the ablity to be eccentric without arousing too much comment

Health care in France is impressive and seems to work better than the UK's NHS. It does put a considerable burden on taxpayers, but this is égalité in the real world and everyone is entitled to the best health care, regardless of personal wealth. You may need expensive care, but your condition will not be made worse by worrying about how to pay for it.
But things are not so good if you become unable to live alone and have to go into residential care. Costs are crippling. They will take your savings, sell your house and pursue your children for anything that is owing after your death.

I have no interest in spending my final years sitting in a plastic chair, watching rubbish on television, but would prefer a quick exit route. Whether I will still have the mental capacity to do anything about that, is something that is impossible to know......

I've had three occasions to use French hospitals and was never surprised at the quality and professionalism of the care provided but was always pleasantly surprised and the minimal charges which were for the meals provided. The food was not bad either. Thank god for Securité Sociale. I'm so glad we decided to stay in France after my retirement from the UN so I don't have to be involved in the political and administrative mess going on in health insurance in the US. The automation of the French Securité Sociale is fantastic with the Carte Vitale. The US is way behind France except in the delivery of quality health care - if you can afford it over there.

As the oldest couple in the hamlet we really appreciate our younger neighbours dropping by with various excuses (Do you want any shopping? help with the bins etc) just making sure we are OK.

Yes, and a lot of those who were chucked out after 1492 went to Oran where Andalusian music remained very strong, and is still a living tradition there today. It's said that Rai music from Oran derives from that tradition too.

Here comes the anthro bit, I naturally had a look in our library and sure enough there is still a lot of the old Moorish (not Arabic as such) language implanted in the Spanish and particularly pronunciation down there and real local food (small local restaurants well away from the big cities and towns) is very Moroccan like. There is still a fair bit of genetic trace in the people, hence how African some of the people look. Whilst they slowly kicked the Moors out over the next couple of hundred years or so, much of the vestiges are there in the music, traditional costume and other very visible respects.

You must be at one of the courses near Aurillac Nick ? I've played both but not for a while. My mate helped with the construction of the 'new' nine hole course. I'm sure the trees must have grown a bit now ?

I was greenkeeper for 15 years at a course in Limousin, a thankless job !

My most positive experience in France was the moment that I was asked to be President of the local golf club. At the 2012 AGM I was unanimously elected (probably as no-one else was put forward). For the last 3 years I have attended all the committee meetings; taught/coached golf to novices and school classes; frequently manned the club reception desk single-handed; served meals in the club house; made loads of speeches; attended numerous parades and activities in town as the Club representative; made loads of new friends (all French) and consequently improved my French language considerably. The golf's gone downhill a bit as I'm too busy as President !

Fascinating stuff, I think it's time I did some serious 'learning' !

Sounds utterly fantastic Brian. You've convinced me I have to go further south !

Granada only fell in 1492, Peter, same year as Columbus set off to the Indies. Quite symbolic. Charles V threw out the remaining Moors some years later, and the Conversos (the surface-converts to Christianity) were only chucked out in the 17th century.

Interesting stuff Ian. The Moors certainly got about, even reaching southern France of course. The muslim influence was amazing and lasted until the fall of Granada apparently in the 13th C.

The Cotentin is an area close to my heart as I lived around there in the '70s. Loads to do and see.

http://www.france3.fr/emissions/thalassa/cotentin-la-force-de-la-mer_280653

It is brilliant down there Peter. My introduction was when an organisation I was on the UK committee of had its world congress there in Granada one year so I stuck a week on top to get some sun (it was June after all). I got to Córdoba, Andújar, Guadix and so on. The Alhambra was visible from the congress centre but because out days there were long I had to wait five whole days before that visit. After that and the round tour with a car, alone which was a luxury, I loved it all. The Mezquita–catedral is stunning. The whole region is, plus the climate and appearance are so north African and the people too, that it is easy to forget where you actually are. I have been back three times since and hope for more. Fortunately my OH loved it first trip and returns happily too.

Thalassa Cotentin, oh indeed, Peter.

If you read French, the absolute definitive work on Al-Andalus is "Histoire de l'Espagne Musulmane" in 3 volumes by E. Lévi-Provençal. It first came out in 1950, but was re-edited by Maisonneuve & Larose in 1999. Splendid stuff.

Yep Ian, brilliant programme last night. Cordoba looks great. I never realised just how much of an influence north Africa played on the southern half of Spain. I've only ever been 'oop north' you see. Thalassa tomorrow evening will be on the menu also.All about Le Cotentin.

Just watching England making a dogs dinner in Sri Lanka.....give me strength !

It certainly was, Peter, I enjoyed the stuff about the Mosquée at Cordoba immensely. I enjoyed the blanquette de veau as well, and, more importantly, so did Herself!

Brian, gerraway wi ye - the Twisted Wheel ! We used to gather up at the Samlesbury M6 roundabout - Lambrettas only, no Vespas allowed - and head off in a convoy for a night at the Twisted Wheel :)

The french medical and dental services have been truly amazing.

Hahaha, I believe you are right :-D

Quite agree Brian

Wasn't it an old Kit Kat advert on the telly where a record producer listened to a band's demo tape in his office with the band present and he said " well you can't play, can't sing and you look a mess - you should make a fortune !"

Much as I love old John Mayall, when he sings I cringe. Always sounded like a strangled parrot squawking to me, but the blues he keeps going is great.