Your views on Trophy Hunters, are they just sad innadequate men?

I totally agree with you Glen. I just dont get it either.

I'm also saddened with the horses that get injured/killed for the sake of a days racing.

Our Breton village high in the Monts d'Arree in fact revolves around the Chasse in the winter months and many feel that the Chasseurs run the commune more than the Mairie. You would have to be pretty careful what you said about hunting in general and in public and in fact one English guy who didn't effctively had to leave because he made himself so unpopular. I am a complete townie living in a contry village. I don't particularly object to managed country sports because it forms a central part of the traditional country life here, although I wouldn't myself partake. I do however profit from various gifts for the kitchen from time to time. That is very far from criminal detruction of endangered habitat and I signed the Masai petition some days ago. The King of Spain made himself quite unpopular in this regard last year.

Like you I used to go stalking in God's country but I was taught to take out the weak and try to improve the heard quality. And I always shot for my kitchen (Pheasant, Deer, Rabbits etc.)

The only reason I took up shooting was on moral grounds - Its was necessary to obtain my meat from the wild and not pretend that it came from a supermarket. Likewise I like Leather shoes, etc.

I agree entirely with your views, As a younger man I did love the stalk, to use the ground to get close to your quarry and then to take the shot or not, not animals I hasten to add but something that could shoot back. I had my phase of target shooting but now combine the two substituting a camera for a rifle, much more rewarding to record and revere rather than destroy.

I am not anti hunting per se, I have a good friend who shoots for the table and he is as scathing about trophy hunters as non hunters.

Surely these "heroes" could enjoy their sport without the need to kill, I get a thrill out of stalking, to try and get close for a clean picture, alas age has taken its toll and creaky Knees with a touch of extra padding usually cause enough noise to startle a deaf dog, it is fun trying though.

I don't shoot firearms any more, I have no inclination to reduce the animal population and don't understand those that do for no need, ergo your use of the term inadequate to describe trophy hunters seems to me to be toatally justified

I've never seen Adsense deliver anything that I have a problem with, they are very strict with what they will publish, unlike lots of other ad networks.

Bizarre you should mention shaving, I've just been photographing cut throat razors for a product review!

But (as a webmaster) if you do see advertising you dont agree with you can set your Adsense campaign to omit adverts from that source - its not easy as you have to see it first and as mentioned already you may not be the one who sees it. About time Adsense offered us a log to show what adverts have been appearing on our websites but I guess they have their (business) reasons for not giving us too many details.

The technology is getting very advanced though - I havent shaved for a few days and the ads I see are all for razors - shame they didnt pick up on my preference for an old fashioned razor blade - I am only getting disposable cartridge adverts but I guess they will iron out the wrinkles ;-)

Jon

Small appendage syndrome!!!! I signed this petition a few days ago, but the more people who see it the better.

Hunting animals for "sport" is disgusting.

An interesting aspect of this is the little boy at my grandchildren's school, whose Dad is a chasseur. All the other kids tend to shun him because his Dad kills bambis!

Clive, I am certainly not hiding behind that argument. I have actually read both sides of the argument. Tanzania and Kenya are doing every possible injustice to the Masai in their treatment of them and have both done for several decades. This is the icing on the cake. However, many governments do similar to many ethnic minorities. I am not a wet, wishy-washy liberal as I am occasionally accused of being but a scientifically informed anthropologist for over 40 years. In this case a wealthy consortium wishes to buy a large tract of tribal land from the government, repeal the wildlife protection in that area, banish the Masai from it as well and then use it as an exclusive hunting park for immensely rich and powerful people. The balance is on the side of indefensible.

Well -- I got lots of travel adverts! What have YOU been looking at???

Now try playing devils advocate and find the other side of the coin.

Don't hide behind the "You can't defend this" argumentation

Add "bully" to that list. Everybody stand up, speak out, stop this madness. And I carry the same judgement on the hunters in our regions that consider killing innocent life forms entertaining.

GRRRRRRRR.

Avaaz are worth a visit for this and many other issues. They cant please all people all the time but if everyone who gave a damn followed Azaaz the world would take a step forward.

Personally for a glimse of inadequate men I look no further than the dudes who think a 5 litre V8 4x4 is a cool thing to drive at this particular ecological tipping point - I frequently visit Germany and cringe every time a massive Merc or 'urban mega-jeep' passes me doing 200km/h. I love going to Germany and approve of their wind turbine and eco-housing initiatives but the fact that they have this blind spot on the autobahn just fries my brains - talk about inconsistent!!!

Anyway I digress...

Its all related and it starts with the question - "Just because I can pay for it - does that mean I can or rather should have it?" - I know folks who reason starts at "I am well off - I can afford a full tank of fuel, its my business what I do with it".

I suspect its the same personality type that reasons that if you can afford a ticket for a safari shoot then there is no other issue or accountabililty to be faced - there are some people who see no further than issues of personal economy when deciding what they shall or shall not have - the way I see the world it is this type of personality that is the biggest threat - much more common than full blown sociopaths.

Jon

That's correct Carl, and they will also be targeted at the pages content so we don't all see the same ads. You might have noticed if you look at something on Amazon for example, ads for whatever it was will stalk you around the internet for weeks afterwards!

LOL, I assume the adds here are targeted and reflect something you (Keith) have been looking at recently. :)

Bit of a kick in a sensitive place that! Some 'toys'.

I have signed several petitions now. The excuses for being allowed to do it and the Masai's cattle are complete tosh. As you are a psychologist so am I an anthropologist and see both the inadequacy in these people and the destruction of traditional life. However, the fact that because of low numbers of the lions some of these people wish to hunt, they are breeding them (avaaz missed that bit, when I saw it on another site I nigh on exploded) to put in the wild to be shot makes it all the worse. Damn their eyes.

The bigger the rifle the smaller the brain (substitute alternative body part if you wish). Sign the Avaaz petition

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/maasai_ss_tag_dm/?baspCdb&v=23808