Your Work - Please read this before posting!

Please feel free to shamelessly self-promote within this thread! Upload links to published work or post a pdf of the printed article. Tell us about your books, plays and film-scripts and generally create an on-line portfolio to let us know what you are doing.

There are several editors who are members of SFN so if your work is visible, it might even lead to a commission. Or two...

But.....can I just reiterate - links to published work are fine - links to your website building services / PR company or mail order knitting wool are NOT.

This is the one part of SFN where we've decided to let people add 'commercial' links - i.e to Kindle / Amazon etc. on the grounds that authors need all the help they can get and if anyone turns out to be the next JK Rowling or indeed, sells a fair few, they will have the decency to make a donation to SFN.

Please don't spoil this concept by posting inappropriate links. I don't have the time to police every comment so it will just lead to a "no links full stop" policy which will ruin it for everyone else - thanks!

My book is up on Amazon at £90 with release date 28 June (also happens to be my daughter's birthday), so look out for 'The History and Theory of Children’s Citizenship in Contemporary Societies'. If you are looking for light reading, go for something else...

My first novel came out last year, and you can find it here on Kindle. It's called Priors Gardens, which is the name of a real street in west London, and I really did start my life there - but the rest is fiction. It is the story of three post-war baby girls whose lives start in Priors Gardens and who all, unexpectedly and in different ways, become famous - or notorious - and who make the world take notice. One a brilliant police officer in a man's world, one an MP in Tony Blair's House of Commons (yes OK I did do that for eight years, but her story is not mine) and one a model who changed the way clothes - and women - were looked at. I'm writing another, and a collection of stories is coming out soon. If you read it, please post a review. Thanks.

Shameless self-publicity. The cover design and final price are not yet up but here we are, Springer under 'Political Science':

The History and Theory of Children’s Citizenship in Contemporary Societies

Milne, Brian

2013, Approx. 295 p.

Hardcover
Information
approx. 105,45 €

(gross) price

ISBN 978-94-007-6520-7

Due: June 28, 2013

• ABOUT THIS BOOK

• The first comprehensive work on children's rights
  • Contributes to ending the intellectual stagnation on the discourse about children's rights
  • Examines whether children’s citizenship is either realism or romanticism
This book examines the notion of children having full citizenship. It does so historically, through intellectual discourse, beliefs, and moral and ideological positions on children. It looks at the status and extent of knowledge of the position of children covering about 2500 years. The book takes European and other cultures, traditions and beliefs into consideration. It reflects on the topic from a variety of disciplines, including social sciences, theology and philosophy. The book places children’s citizenship in the centre of children’s rights discourse. Part of the work is a critical appraisal of ‘children’s participation’ because it diverts attention away from children as members of society toward being a separable group. The book moves on from child participation using a children’s rights based argument toward examination of the relationship of the child with the state, i.e. as potentially full member citizens.

Content Level » Research

Keywords » Child Participation - Child Sciences - Childhood Studies - Childhood in antiquity -Childhood in the middle ages - Childhood in the modern world - Children Citizenship - Children’s Citizenship - Children’s Rights - Emergence of Childhood - Ideological Positions on Children -Ideological Positions on Children From the High Middle Ages - Inclusion of Children in Governance and Full Citizenship - Modern World of Childhood

Related subjects » Law - Political Science - Social Sciences

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Preface.- Dedication.- Acknowledgements.- Chapter One: Introduction: the Children’s Citizenship paradigm.- Chapter Two: Methodology and methods.- Chapter Three: Citizenship.- Chapter Four: The Emergence Of Childhood – from the ancient world until the dawn of the Enlightenment.- Chapter Five: The emergence of childhood –from the Enlightenment to Modern World Of Childhood.- Chapter Six: Intellectual discourse, beliefs, moral and Ideological Positions On Children from antiquity until the present – children from Antiquity to the high Middle Ages.- Chapter Seven: Intellectual discourse, beliefs, moral and Ideological Positions On Children From The High Middle Ages Ages through early modern to the present.- Chapter Eight: The ‘Child Sciences’, social sciences and Childhood Studies.- Chapter Nine: Children’s Rights and the contemporary interest in Child Participation.- Chapter Ten: Issues concerning the legal status, welfare, policy making and Inclusion Of Children In Governance And Full Citizenship.- Chapter Eleven: upplementary areas that contribute to notions of children’s citizenship.- Chapter Twelve: Conclusion.- Notes .- Appendices.- Bibliography.- Index.​

Zwei/deux/two - Theo und/et/and yours truly. Actually, there is a third but let her add her name if she is same minded. However, as Theo says, little bits of personal material but not long texts.

I thought it might be interesting to know for some of you here on SFN that there is someone who can translate for you from/to ENG<>DE and/or FR<>DE, but only for personal use, I do not want to commercialize it.

With publications I have it a bit easier being a photographer as you writers. www.theofruendt.com

Post them here!!!

Or else......:)

Thanks, Catharine, & for wishing me a happy birthday!

I'm a budding blogger if I can master the formats & have a blog concerning the legitimacy or otherwise of keeping your UK licence while being a French resident. It can bee read here http://drivingfrance.blogspot.fr/2013/01/normal-0-your-uk-driving-licence-legal.html

There are some other winges there too...

If you all post links to your blogs and a category in the BLOGROLL post - NOT here, I will update it next week. Promise!

I write a blog about my life in Le Morvan. http://moncoeurestdanslacampagne.blogspot.com. Please drop by and comment. It is evolving....sometimes I give advice about moving to France and sometimes I write about my experiences of living here.

No worries - I've expanded on the top bit so hopefully that will make it clear that the thread is about promoting the published word.....

I've just looked back in and seen that my post has been deleted as it was one of the offending ones - please accept my apologies Catherine, I simply saw the opening line "Please feel free to shamelessly self-promote within this thread" and rushed in to it without reading the instructions carefully enough. "More haste, less speed Richard" as my mother always used to tell me!

No worries Brian! x

I would just like to mention that there is a free promotion of my latest book Web Marketing & SEO Guide on Amazon tomorrow 24th Jan. You can find the book on amazon.fr using this link.

It is a Kindle book but can be downloaded to a PC or eReader other than Kindle using an appropriate app courtesy of Amazon.

If you buy your Kindle books from sites other than .fr just change the extension as appropriate when you land on the page.

My website design guide can also be purchased from Amazon here Website Design Guide sorry no free promotion on this one.

Apologies to Catherine as well for posting website links, I am going to delete that post now. Didn't read the instructions properly.

I agree Zaragoza is breathtaking and I was lucky to have gone there in Franco times when there were few tourists compared to now. Church architecture is a wonder of engineering and when one sees a building that will about now makes its first thousand years and hear a contemporary architect say that it is technically impossible stuff held together by a gnat's whisker, then it is all the more astounding. That don't make 'em like that no more... I have Lascuax, Rouffignac and such temptations nearby and within a kilometre is a cave system with prehistoric paintings, engravings, sculpture and animal/human remains discovered just over a decade ago that I might just live long enough to get inside and see for myself. So the contemporary, nah - too new!

Thanks Brian. Be assured, I'm an out-and-out non religious person, but the history, architecture etc, all interest me, quite apart from the walking. As you can see, the relic game was a great money-spinner for many centuries, until those damn Protestants ruined it. The, there the legends, the architecture. Was impressed by Albi cathedral, especially the interio. And for sheer scale, Zaragoza is very impressive. You have any favourites, or are you ken on the contemporary?

I'm afraid that with 5000 plus members that isn't always possible. It very much depends on the circumstances. But I wouldn't worry - we very rarely have 'issues' with people who've uploaded profile photos - they tend to be polite! And a little politeness goes a long way :)

Snap Helen,

I broke my shoulder 11 months ago but it will never really get better. Together we can change a light bulb, since one person alone cannot do it with one hand! ;-)

If I am ever a bad boy please could you tell me privately, because, I sometimes do things wrong in some peoples eyes in all innocence and to be judged sub rosa with a public verdict is a bit harsh on ones image.

I'm not so sure about walkers numerically, although there are actually waymarked paths that include the route. I used to be a member of the Long Distance Walkers Association in the UK, so you might guess I have 'explored' thoroughly. There are naturally vehicular pilgrimages as we would expect. Visits to the abbey, others in the area on this westerly route and wayside shrines are not infrequent. I actually met some people who began in Bretagne and were walking to Compostella, visiting every shrine and religious building whether standing and used or ruined on the way. So yes, there are pilgrims and some obviously very serious at that. I looked at the pilgrimage routes out of interest and naturally wonder whether the 'politics' of certain historic periods and the role clerics played in those regimes did not actually shape the numerous routes and sub-routes. It is a social anthropologist's curiosity only, not having any spiritual interest myself, however I am very much fascinated by the supposed healing powers of certain shrines and small villages and towns with local saints where there are also all the lay lines and so on that mystics, especially those who follow reconstructed Celtic beliefs are so enthusiastic about. The past holds a lot of mystery for sure and this is an area with a lot of ritualistic archaeology right back to the Neolithic given the number of dolmens there and earlier periods as we now know from cave paintings and flutings.