A cautionary word

Bonjour:

Sorry to hear about your problems.

If you do a long let again, you could consider doing it on multiple back-to-back contracts, say two/three weeks at a time, with payment for each rental period up-front. This would allow you to review the situation periodically and if you saw damage you could ask for payment, or you could choose not to renew.

1 Like

It’s an idea, but I think the way forward would be to take a bigger deposit (2 months rent?) and a bigger damage deposit, along with more thorough and frequent inspections to help stop things getting out of hand.

We have only ever had glasses broken, except one really fat English lady and we had a problem with the loo coming away from the wall.
I think I would be worried about the cost and time it would take getting the gite ready for our excellent forthcoming clients.

Well the bedrooms are just about done, just got to make the beds. Just wondering if it will be easier to chuck the cooker away and get a new one, pity as it’s only a year old.All the pots, pans, casseroles etc covered in grease…etc etc. Got a few more days yet I think!

We had a similar problem with a couple with tiny dog, had a rolling monthly let ,
They had been ‘away’ so rent was late , she knocked door to say goodbye ! No warning !
She said it’s all clean and deposit should settle rent.
Shell shocked I went to see Gite with her quickly.
After she had left I went back in and it stank of wet dog, my bedding etc was under bed etc against outside wall. I pulled it out and everything wet and mouldy.
I would not get into shower !
Anyway turned out we had to completely
redecorate and replace most soft furnishings as dog had been on everything
To top it all. The electric bill was 800e for 2 months !

That is horrifying. So far we have not had to let the gite out out of season. I had an unpleasant experience last Christmas when we opened up especially for the family of French friends. I wrote about it here on SFN. We did a good deed over Christmas.

http://www.survivefrance.com/t/we-did-a-good-deed-over-christmas-but-never-again/14537

This family slept on the sofa when we had offered them a bed in our house and then left without saying goodbye.
Fortunately they spent the vast proportion of their time with their family and did not cook.
You have to believe in karma!

Mark, I would investigate the possibility of having the cooker professionally deep cleaned before I threw it out.
When I was acting Bursar at a university college, all the cookers were deep cleaned professionally at the end of each term.
I am so sorry that this is necessary.

Very good advice. Depending on the price of replacement of course.

Personally, we provide good equipment, but bought at Sale prices with the idea of replacing every year if necessary.

The thing that really gets to me is that these “people” can have no self respect or self pride. I seriously wonder how they can live in such a disgusting state, and how they manage not to have any feelings of guilt.

Jane, Pauline says she WILL get the cooker clean, but it might take more than one tin of oven cleaner😕Have to get her some more rubber gloves!

true!

Can you ask for references from their previous landlord?

He was a home owner who had sold up in the UK, so no, not possible. I have been asked for a reference for him though…

Mark - without sounding patronising, best not to give him a bad one. Slander / libel laws are pretty unforgiving. Just better to say you’re ‘unable’ to give one - speaks volumes :slight_smile:

Thanks Simon, a picture can speak a thousand words!!

1 Like

Heck - the bare faced cheek of the guy giving you as a referee!!

This is a problem that is becoming more and more common as people (of both nationalities) decide to take advantage of the French law that prevents a landlord from evicting a tenant for any reason during the winter months. I would never do a winter let. Too many horror stories on the expat forums. In one case it was a supposedly honest Notaire who managed to stay in the premises the whole period after only paying one month’s rent.

Yes, I was quite (very) surprised.

Stella, where do you get a good sale deal?

When the January Sales are on… I look for the bigger stuff that we need/might need to replace. (white goods, mattresses etc)

For the smaller bits (kettles, microwaves, blenders etc) I pick them up throughout the year… whenever I see a bargain… and store them until needed.

Basically, we are always on the look-out…:relaxed: