A very helpful French Lady and Taxi Driver

I moan continually about "the French" but I am not usually referring to individuals (except perhaps those that work for public bodies!) but the many other irritating things that happen in France, that the French moan about too - but do nothing about! We have four couples and one singleton as neighbours. Including us we are a mixture of two English, five French, three Belgium and one Portuguese and it is a wonderful little community. We help each other out all the time with manual labour, tools, machinery, eggs, vegetables, swimming (their grandchildren in our pool), knowledge. We have also recently been introduced to those who live further afield but within a kilometre or so, many of whom are only here part time and they are French and English families, all very friendly.

I have found most of the people I encounter on a daily basis to be extremely polite and helpful. A bit like how the Uk once was - 40 or so years ago!

I think the English who criticise the French in this manner are completely rude themselves. The French will react to your demeanour and I have rarely come across any French person who is rude and bad mannered. I have nearly always found them to be helfpful and courteous. On occasions they can be off hand but this is usually when you are trying to buck their system and make them behave in an English manner.

There is one exception, however, to the above and tongue in cheek I would say that to put them behind the wheel of a car they grow horns as they all seem to drive like demons with little of the courtesy you find elsewhere!

So pleased I'm not the only one who thinks this!

All the people I come into contact with are just ordinary, nice folk. Even Parisians! :-) The only problem we have ever had is with the VERY occasional guest (maybe three in the past eight years) at the hotel who complains that we are not fully fluent in French. They have never said it to our faces, but have put disparaging comments on booking.com. I think these people have a problem with étrangers in general. (But the funniest ever was the English couple who complained on "tripadvisor" that we were not French!)

Steve, I can only confirm your experiences. A lot depends on what you are expecting to deserve and what you really deserve if you do not stick to the "protocol" by simply comply to good manners. Increasing "conduct disorder" backfires more & more which seems to be a result of "communicating via "social" websites.

I agree with you 100% Andy. We have lived here for 10 years, also in the Midi Pyrenees. We have never had a problem with anyone. I sometimes wonder why some of the Brits stay here with all their negativity towards the French and the French way of life.

I so agree , it irritates me no end when people moan about the French. I have lived in 3 different places in France. We had a holiday cottage for 10 years from 1993 and the locals in the viallage were so excited that we were going to live there and welcomed us with open arms and with little gifts of vegetables and eggs etc. After 10 happy years with a maison secondaire we moved here permanently but as the cottage was too small for lots of visitors we bought a house in another village and found just the same welcome and the neighbours couldn't do enough to make us feel at home. Sadly after only 2 years of retirement my husband died suddenly. After 44 years of extremely happy marriage I was bereft. My neighbours were just wonderful - even offering bedrooms in their house so friends and family coming to the funeral had places to stay. After a couple of years on my own I met a wonderful man whose story was just the same as mine and we eventually moved in together - we are now married. Once again what wonderful neighbours.I recently had a haemorrage and was rushed to hospital and our neighbours insisted that my husband shouldn't drive. They drove him to the hospital which is about 35 miles away and stayed there with him all day and brouyght us both home when I was discharged in the evening.Several other neighbours also offer to help with shopping gardening or anything we needed. So my experience in 3 different places has been of friendly helpful supportive people. I hope we are as good neighbours and friends to them as they have been to us .

I am glad to hear of your experiences, I the 21 years I have been coming to france, 14 years owning a house and 6 living here full time, I have never had a problem with anyone. I find most people very kind in the Midi Pyrenees now voted the best place in France to live. I can usually tell who to avoid and most of them are English.

We have only been in our village 4 months, but have had nothing but warmth and kindness. The bureaucracy is a minefield, but it have found the people delightful.

Expatriates tend to grumble a lot. Having experienced them over long periods of time in several countries, I would say it's more or less the norm, unfortunately it is also the norm that it irritates the locals no end!

I have to say that I am a little more understanding of moaning and groaning in Russia than I am of relentless complaining in France, England, Germany, Austria, Belgium or Switzerland.

Like you Sandra, I am surprised that adults who consider themselves as well-informed, can make life arrangements which do not suit them one bit. On the other hand, I know several people who were utterly miserable in Switzerland, for instance, and who are now utterly miserable back home. Go figure

Have to agree we find most folks we deal with open, helpful and friendly…

Thank goodness that someone who has chosen to make France their home actually likes the French. I am always amazed at the negative posting that goes on. In my eight plus years here I have rarely had a problem with any French person, finding them courteous, friendly and good to know.