Any of you Brits have a carte de sejour?

Nothing in life is free David! :)

How could you be so inconsiderate. I am signing off for the last time.

Not being inconsiderate at all David! Why do you think that? I was being flippant if anything as you seem to be perpetually complaining about the cost of your health care. Yes, there are costs involved in being in France but that is true for everyone posting here, and for most people it's a price worth paying!

1 Like

I didn't think Canadian's paid any more of a percentage of their income into the CMU than British people did? Unless by 'British Expats' you mean British pensioners who haven't worked in France (or at least not enough to have any pension rights) and have an OAP giving them the right to the CPAM element of their healthcare being paid by Britain? Not everyone is in that position. British people work here and pay for their healthcare via their contributions. British people who don't work here and aren't at retirement age join the CMU and pay 8% of their income over the plafond. Is that what you do?

Firstly, I appologise for not downloading my photo, I put it down to age as I have tried so many times without success, but I hope to succeed before I reach my 80th.

My cart de sejure states it is permanent . Is this because my first card was issued in 1989, long before the borders were opened, and my wife and myself were interviewed twice at the French embassy before we were allowed to reside permanently in France.

I fail to understand why people are afraid of having their fingerprints on file. Every policeman has it done before he is accepted and I suspect many other occupations are subject to similar practices. If there is an objection, it has to be presumed that there are skeletons in the cupboard that have, or need to be kept hidden.

My titre de sejour has sejour permanent,toutes activites professionelles on it.It is valide for ten years ,which is the same length of time as a french carte d'identite.The fingerprints are taken because french nationals have to give theirs to have a carte d'identite.I would assume that if the EU says you have the right to the same things as a native person then you have to submit to the same things as a native.

I dissagree with your final sentence Jack. I suppose you also have no objection to total surveilance either - because of course 'if you have nothing to hide ............etc.

We all need privacy - it is a basic right and I for one do not want my prints on a worldwide database where the possibility of an error could lead to unforeseen problems.

How do you go on with a biometric passport then.

I don't think mine is 'biometric'

I for one do not want my prints on a worldwide database where the possibility of an error could lead to unforeseen problems

Hahahahaha... Clearly on the run from the law :D

All UK passports will be "biometric" from this year however for "biometric" read "digital" since we haven't had our eyes scanned, our fingerprints logged or our DNA analysed. There are connections between government databases: when applying online to renew our UK driving licences last month we elected to use the photos used in our passports, without having to supply hard copies. Apart from this I can't see any "bio" elements at all. I think the Carte Vitale holds much more personal inormation than does a biometric passport. If you have retinal photos taken in Boots Opticians they are not easy to refer to from another branch of Boots, let alone from the eye hospital, so clearly aren't available to be added to your passport data. The fact that someone is diabetic or epileptic could be useful embedded in a passport which medics abroad could read, but it isn't there. I guess the only reason the USA has insisted on turning away anyone without biometric passports is because these are scanned by standard equipment worldwide rather than because criminal records are accessible through them. I can't understand why they are called "biometric" at all!

Just for info, I don't think it is only the OAP that entitles one to having one's "competent country" pay for the Carte Vitale. I'm "only" 62 and not due to have an OAP until 66 but, sadly, I do receive a widower's pension and that entitles me to a E106. .

Yes, it's a 'pension', which also includes IB or ESA. People who are dependants of someone who still pays contributions in the UK can also get one. I mentioned OAP because I suspected that's what he was referring to and I wanted to point out that not all British in France have their healthcare covered in that way. I have no idea what the percentages are but there are a good many who don't.

Regrettably the lunatics appear to have taken over in the UK at least.

1 Like

Yey :couple:
Picked up our CdSs today from Angouleme prefecture.

5 Likes

Good stuff :wink:

Yes, but it took two dossiers of 42 pages and four trips to the Prefecture.

2 Likes

Is there any point yet? The french government say that after Brexit UK citizens will need a CDS but they have not yet decided the format or requirements. It will be different to the CDS currently issued.
It might be easier to exchange the one currently issued but in view of the difficulties involved in even getting an appointment I have decided to wait & only go through the procedure only once.
It’s not as if at the end of March we will be rounded up & loaded on to cattle trucks bound for Calais!
Same with my driving licence.

2 Likes

It’s already harder to swap than 12 months ago - only going to get worse (IMO)

1 Like

Thank goodness we exchanged our driving licences before the new age limit came into force.
We will have to see what happens with the CdS issued on the basis of EU citizenship.