Brexit will leave 2 million Britons in legal limbo abroad

ever closer political union was always the plan

I think you're nuts Robert, but it takes all sorts :-)

My comment was really about the "little Britain" mentality that hankers after the long gone and never to return glory days of Empire. I think people may be swayed by that mirage and make the biggest mistake the UK has ever made and exit. But que sera, sera. However, if the vote is for Brexit I think your homeland (which was governed by political "has beens" in Westminister for long enough) by will quit the UK PDQ. So you'll be back in again :-)

I also don't accept your definition of immigrant vs ex-pat. I've never emigrated to anywhere, despite living and working in several locations around the World. I live where I choose to live, I'm a serial ex pat. I've even got dual nationality so I've multiple "pats" :-)

BTW, I've a pal that has been in audit (and is now very senior) in Brussels. I know how stringent and meticulous he is in his work and I'm sure he could easly dispell your concerns on fiscal rectitude. Anyway, I'm sure the UK is no better that any other administration in the EU.

I agree David.

maybe it was, but i'll be dead before it happens at this rate!

With all due respect, I doubt that there are many (if any at all) who "hanker[s] after the long gone and never to return glory days of Empire." What many do "hanker" after is the right to be governed by our own elected representatives who may, if the elecotrate so wish, be dismissed at the next election!

With regard to Scotland separating from the UK in the event of Brexit, and then joining the EU as a separate nation, I suspect that wee Nicky will be in for a surprise when she discovers the percentage of Scots who vote to LEAVE the EU! Even if that is not the case, did not even Mr Juncker indicate that Brexit would herald the complete break-up of the Eu with so many other countries now clamouring for their own referenda?

I did not give a definition of "ex-pat" and/or "immigrant". I merely referred to what someone else had said. If you had read my comment carefully, you would have noted my statement, "If that is true, then I am an ex-pat." That little word "If" is extremely important! Bully for you, by the way, in holding dual nationality - that may give you dual "pats", but not multiple "pats"! "Living and working" in a location does not imply permanent residency, so that aspect of your obviously long and varied career, is totally irrelevant to the topic!

Perhaps your very senior audit friend in Brussels should publish his evidence! I have certainly never come across any claim other than those that the books have not been "signed off" for, as I stated, about twenty years. Perhaps you are of the opinion that "They're a' oot o' step but oor Jock" (to use a familiar Scottish adage!)!

Kind regards.

What has the EU ever done for us eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptfmAY6M6aA

Sure it's not a wet week (as they say) since Scotland was ruled lock stock and barrel from Westminster so what's this great aversion to a bit of benevolent central control from the EU? Anyway, an independent Scotland interfacing directly with the EU would cut out all the Westminister overhead, expense and interfering. Let's face it, Westminister is only really interested in the Home Counties. Seems very sensible to me for Scotland to go it alone. It's a pity it wasn't done before all their oil was nicked. Scotland might have been as wealthy as Norway is now.

Regardless of what anyone says, the EU is here to stay and I could only find reference to other countries wanting a referendum in the Telegraph, which is rag. I do note that extreme rightwing parties in some countries advocate exit, you know the sort of chaps that wear leather and have swastika tattoos :-)

I have no doubt, no doubt at all, that leaving the EU will be a catastrophe for the UK. Banks will leave the City for Frankfurt and the Dublin IFSC. Manufactures, such as Nissan, Honda and Toyota, won't stay in a disconnected UK. The US has no interest in a bilateral trade agreement and it will take years and years and years to negeotiate any new trade agreements with any other contries. Some good info here http://news.cbi.org.uk/business-issues/uk-and-the-european-union/

It is really amusing that those who are trying to advise on the negative impact of leaving are called "scare mongerers". Bit like those scare mongering doctors that told us smoking would give us lung cancer :-) Therefore, I believe the only people who could even consider such a preposterous idea must be "little Britain" dreamers, because there is NO upside.

I googled the audit atuff. The first thing that came up was the Telegraph, well 'nuff said, we can ignore that. Next up was

https://fullfact.org/europe/has-eu-budget-been-rejected-auditors-past-18-years/

which actually explains the issue and shows the whole thing to be a canard. The Mail and Telegraph just stirring up the gullible perhaps?

BTW C, do you live in France?

Amusing - and I did watch right to the end. However, the ECHR is NOT the EU and, to the best of my knowledge, one does not require to be a member of the EU in order to subscribe to the ECHR! Is it not also the case that most, if not all, of the matters raised are already adequately covered by British law? If so, then all that the ECHR provides is a further layer to which one may appeal!

Unsure as to why you posted the link - but it has, I would suggest, no bearing on the forthcoming referendum!

Absolutely excellent David :-)

That is the ECHR version. This is the EU one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2vufQIxLvw

Well now we will see who was right. As my old boss used to say " If you want to know the answer do the experiment"

Well now we will see who was right. As my old boss used to say " If you want to know the answer do the experiment"

Hi Everyone

Does anybody know how the recent Brexit vote will effect all of us expats living here?

I ve finally received my CMU for a health issue but am not sure if this will stop now.

I have lived in France for nearly 20 years.

I'm sure it will be business as usual for many months if not years to come Jenni. The UK has to trigger article 50 and then the clock starts ticking on a 24 month negotiation. The UK doesn't want to trigger until a new PM is appointed. Some bureaucrats in Brussels (who's arrogance IMO helped get us to where we are) are "demanding" it's triggered now. One way or the other, I from what I understand, we have a minimum of 24 months with no changes for those of us on the ground.

many thanks for that

i was a bit worried as i need a small opp

many thanks

My old boss, who was an extraordinarily clever and kind man, often told me that in sensitive, often personnel related negotiations "if you don't know the answer, don't ask the question" :-) I think Cameron would have benefitted from that advice.

A statement often attributed to barristers in cross examinaton. I am not sure who was the originator - probably lost in the mists of time. Not really appropriate in this context however.

Or maybe simply repeal the relevant Acts and start again from scratch with individual countries with whom we wish to trade on preferentail terms. There is no reason why the EU has to dictate the terms on which UK can leave. UK is now in a position where it can write the rules for its own negotiations. Treaties have often been repudiated in the past unilaterally - why not this time?