Cervical Herniated Disc Symptoms and Treatment

I had exactly the same problem, but in my case it was my left thumb. Treatment was in 2001, using a private heath provider (BUPA), when I was working back in the UK. Treatment was surgery to remove the disc. This required access to the spine through the front of my neck, the surgeon's incision was along one of the creases in my neck and is barely visible. The incision was on my left side, in your case probably the right. A piece of bone was taken from my hip and inserted between the vertebrae, resulting in fusion of the bones (cervical fusion). The most painful aspect was the removal of the piece of bone from my hip, the neck didn't hurt at all.

My experience may be different to other sufferers, and was 25 years ago, so things have moved on with 3D printing and so on. Even in 2001 there were different methods, some surgeons used bone from the hip, some didn't use bone at all.

The operation took about four hours and I spent 10 days in hospital. I had to wear a rigid plastic collar, to imobilise the neck and head, for three months, even in bed; I had to sleep propped up. I could shower, which meant removing the collar for a short period, but very carefully! Rotation of the head from side-to-side becomes restricted because two vertebrae are now fused. I was warned that would put extra stress on the remaining discs, so needed to be aware of this.

Following the stay in hospital I had pain in my shoulder and left arm, traction was prescribed, which entailed having a 'noose' fitted around my neck and under my chin with a strap taken over a pulley behind my head and weights added to stretch my neck. This worked after a few weeks of treatment.

Over the years I have had associated 'pain', more discomfort really, and have taken pain killers since, but only when needed. About eight years ago I had problems with some pain and discomfort and had to have an injection through the side of my neck to an area close to my spine, I was able to watch the needle via an X-ray monitor, there was no pain or discomfort, and it was fascinating to watch! And it worked.

Ever since the operation my arm has been numb along the line of the nerve from my thumb to my shoulder. This isn't really a major problem, the lack of feeling in my thumb sometimes results in me dropping things, thinking I have a good grasp but don't. The upside is I haven't felt an injection in my arm since! The numbness is only along the line of the nerve, the rest of the arm is fine.

The numbness is due to the nerve being damaged by the pressure from the ruptured disc, so surgery is essential if this is to be avoided. I recommend that you don't waste time. Hope this helps.

I had a steroidal epidural injection directly in to the disk over a week ago and it is slowly improving, I have to spend a lot of time on my back but the pain is around 20% of what it was! Long may it continue, the procedure is around 80% successful apparently.

I've had 3 in the lower spine, the first in 2005 L5 was 5mm which was operated on after I spent several months deliberating and seemed to be fine afterwards. The second in 2010 was 10 mm and was twice as painful it felt as though my pelvis and my right leg were smashed. It took about 2 months to get an MRI so by the time I got to see the surgeon it had moved from the spine along the nerve and had lodged behind a large muscle, surgery would have necessitated that muscle cut and 18 months off work, I would have lost my job. So this was managed with medication which has destroyed my stomach, upper intestine and enlarged the pancreas and left me with severe sciatica. The third was the original L5 herniating again not as bad as the first time but uncomfortable enough at least I wasn't incontinent again. At 55 I'm not financially viable for surgery these days as I'm classed as HandicappƩ and reduced to working at 50%. Whatever you choose for your problem I hope it works out well for you.

I had an injection directly in to the disc whilst in an MRI scanner. Worked a treat, Iā€™m fully repaired form a 15 minute (albeit excruciatingly painful) procedure!

I had a similar problem recently. My left buttock/leg was giving me severe pain so after X-rays and scans, a lumbar injection of cortisone was proposed. This was the most pain I have suffered at the hands of a healthcare professional. The result was I was unable to walk the next day. More scans and an operation was scheduled to drill out a channel in the herniated disc that was trapping the nerve. I spent 4 months in bed awaiting the proceedure which was day surgery. Three months later, I have total recovery apart from an occassional twinge which should go after physio. The surgeon was a miracle worker - tiny 3 cms scar and all done via fibre optic camera and a minature Black and decker drill ! Beziers hospital.

Hi James

Iā€™m really glad you are better and managed to avoid surgery.

I was surprised at the Pic selected with the pencil, actually the one to the right looks much more worrying as the disc protrusion there is shown very close to the spinal cord - a much bigger risk that impinging on the nerve root alone. The pics look much more like a CT scan than an MRI.

I hope it is all now behind you and you will have no more trouble.

Regards

Mike

1 Like

Thanks @Michael_Blackmore :grinning:

Nearly five months on it would seem the pain is back this morning, not as bad and no numbness as of yet but the pain is definitely similar.