Change in retirement age effecting women born after April 1951

Thanks - Signed!!

Keep an eye on the WASPI page if you have the time Sue - there may be other easy actions you can take online as the campaign progresses. The most important thing at the moment is the get the 100,000 signatures we need on the petition :)

Is this the shape of things to come? It may be journalism, but think about what is there just under the surface!

www.upmoments.com/man-asks-an-old-lady-why-shes-alone-on-cruise/

Thanks Maureen - have you been able to look at the WASPI page on Facebook? It keeps you updated with how the campaign is going :)

Feels like time to invest in ice floes, rather than care homes.

65 is the age when people can start collecting a government pension in Canada, and there is a move to change it to 70. A lot of people I know can't afford to live on a pension anyway and if they're healthy and still have their mind, they work. I know lots of people still working at 70. I never worried about it much because by the time I get near that age, if I haven't been worked to death, there will be no money left in the government coffers.

I can understand someone counting on getting a pension at age 60 if they'd started doing hard physical labour while still in their teens, but frankly some of the people I know (present company excluded of course), who are wailing about this pension change have been doing nothing more strenuous than pruning their rosebushes and mixing cocktails for the last 10 years :-). It's hard for me to relate.

Signed - thank you

I was born September 1953 and was hoping to get my pension the same year as Hubby got his at 65... that prompted us to make the move fulltime..... but no Goverment changed it!!! makes me very angry as a good friend of mines birthday is December 30th 1952 and she gote hers this year in September...... 9 months difference!!! not fair..... stagger it yes but not by nearly 4 years..................................................

Yes Brian. It will be cheaper for governments to work everyone to death.

I've signed it and posted it to my facebook page-I feel this is far more important than the continuing arguement about the winter fuel payment. It affects far more people and also affects those who are UK resident.

Hi Sue. Like you I will not get mine until I am 66 years old, having been born in 1957. What a bummer! I will sign the petition. Many thanks.

We moved to France in Sept 2007. Early that year we contacted DWP for a pensions forecast for End of 2007. Mine was fine, full 44yrs qualifying payable on 65th birthday Oct 2007. My wife's was 31yrs qualifying payable on her 60th birthday in Sept 2013.

In consultation with an accountant we calculated we would be OK financially on these forecasts so we sold up in UK and moved to France.

In 2008 my wife received a letter from DWP stating that she would not be receiving her state pension until 62.5 years of age, March 2016, however to soften the blow she only needed 30yrs qualifying for full pension and she had 31.

Once again we did some calculations and decided that we would still be fine. Then came the crash at end of 2008. Savings interests plummeted, exchange rate fell dramatically but we managed by using savings.

The last changes to my wife's pension forecast is that she will not get her pension until March 2018 when she is 64.5 and now needs 35 qualifying years to get a full pension.

We have a small amount of savings to keep us going but now having to eek it out until 2018 will mean cutting back on a lot.

I am now 69 and my wife 62 so I doubt very much if getting a job is going to be an option either here or in UK. We could however try and sell up and go back to UK to claim numerous benefits.

In reply Anne, none of the changes were even being discussed in public when we moved over. I had a very good business accountant in UK and he had no knowledge of them in 2006/7.

I just hope that it is now settled and will not be extended even further before 2018.

John you make it sound like it came as a surprise after you moved to France that your wife has to wait longer for her pension. I agree that it is unfair how the changes have been implemented - I know of many couples where the husband will retire at 65 long before their younger wives, but I am amazed how many people also act as if they had only just heard about the changes!

PS I think the government are hoping that a lot of us pop off before they have to pay us and I am sorry to hear about your private scheme - hope you get your compensation soon!

Hi Brian

I agree that pensions look like they are on the way out. In principle I don't object to the age rising so long as sufficient warning is given to people so that they can make alternative arrangements. I am trying to raise the plight of a particular group who have been hit the hardest by the speedy equalisation of pension age for men and women. Women born in the 1950s have been hard hit largely because we have had the goalposts moved at a time of life when we don't have time to do anything about it. I appreciate all that you say and even though, as you say, it is too late for you if you feel able to support our cause here is the link:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/110776

Thank you

Hi John

I am in the same position as your wife - having been born in 1956. I have friends here slightly older who are enjoying a much better quality of life than me because they received their pensions at age 60 as promised. We have a campaign group who are working hard on our behalf at Westminster and last week a petition was launched asking for justice for the 1950s women. If you would like to add your names to the petition please either go to the WASPI Facebook page, follow on Twitter or here is the link direct to the petition:https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/110776

Thank you

Hi Roselyn

I feel your anger - many of us feel the same and 20,000 have signed the petition aimed at getting justice for us in the week since its launch. Please go to the WASPI page on Facebook to see the progress that the campaign is making or follow on Twitter. Or here is the link direct to the petition. We need 100,000 signatures to trigger a debate in parliament so please feel free to share with any of your contemporaries who have been disadvantaged by the rapid changes to pension age:

Thank you

Hi Karen

Lots of us are very angry and many are suffering real hardship because of the speedy implementation of the pension equalisation. Please visit the WASPI Facebook page and add your voice to our campaign. A lot of progress has been made but we need to keep up the momentum. Here is the link to our petition - I hope you will feel able to add your name and pass it on to any contemporaries you have who have been equally let down by successive governments with regard to pension provision.

Thank you

Hi Elaine,

you are one of the lucky ones. I was expecting to get my pension next year at 60 but unfortunately now have to wait until I . Even though you now have your pension I hope you will find the time to put your name on our petition for those less fortunate. You can read about the campaign on the WASPI Facebook page or here is the link directly to the petition:

Thank you

Hi Sue, I was born in 1956 and instead of collecting my pension next year I will have to wait another 6 years until I am 66. There is a government petition that you can sign organised by WASPI (women against state pension injustice) They have a Facebook page, are on Twitter and are vigorously campaigning in Westminster on behalf of us 1950s women. Here is the web address for the petition - I hope you will support the campaign and pass this on to as many of your contemporaries as possible. Hopefully we will get justice before we are all dead!