Changing the clocks 30 March 2024

We’ll move our clocks one hour forward when we go to bed on Saturday night…
30th March. :crossed_fingers:

Strange but my body has been in the plus hour mode for the past two weeks. It must be the mornings getting lighter earlier. Soon be time for the afternoon siesta again when it gets very hot.

I’m not looking forward to the (admittedly short) period when I’ll be back to driving to work in the dark :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I thought this nonsense was going to stop.

1 Like

it was being debated/considered by the EU… but more pressing international events took priority…

So we can blame Putin for that too?

Well, it was Covid, initially… but now …

I thought it had been debated, considered & decided - just not implemented.

I’ll willingly admit it’s selfish, but I love Summer Time!

1 Like

whilst they agreed on the idea… the EU countries never agreed on when to adopt the “stop changing the clocks”… so it continues…

The daft thing I think was, that each country was supposed to decide whether to keep one hour ahead or not.

Yes, the northern countries differed from those further south, but as the EU already spans three time zones, what does that matter? It’s just adding a north/south differentiation to the existing east/west one. At one time this would have been a very problematic complication, but surely not today.

Only tenuously linked to changing the clocks, but I watched this video recently and thoroughly enjoyed it…

As long as all the northern and southern countries agree with each other, then that’s ok.

La Méridienne Verte. This marker is not far from us. There are two of the old markers in Carcassonne, but I haven’t been to look at the other.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZkGL17e2zemmpkHq5

1 Like

What headlights does your car have? I use the Philips 150% WhiteVision/ExtremeVision ones in my Duster and they light up they dark rural roads like the Stade de France’s floodlights.

2 Likes

Driving anywhere in the dark, for me. For some years now I’ve found driving in twilight/darkness difficult/dangerous. An optician told me that it is an age-related condition. Incipient cataracts. A friend who otherwise has never admitted to any failing in any sphere of life, even his self-induced plunge towards bankrupcy/destituition, admitted that he has the same problem. I now think this is the reason my father used to toss the keys to me if we were out after dark.

It manifests as extreme dazzle from oncoming headlights, even across three lanes of motorway. On two-lane country roads the effect is driving into a wall of light. I have, once or twice, come to a stop on the roadway because I simply could not see the road ahead.

The other problem is very reduced horizotal judgement - the feeling I’m either going to collide with an oncoming vehicle or run off the side of the road.

The result is that I have to base my movements on hours of daylight. For example, I changed my ferry trip on April 1st to UK from Caen to St. Malo because the Caen trip involved driving to London in the dark, whereas the drive to St Malo will begin around 07:45, just as it’s getting light [despite the stoopid change of clocks].

I have seen this condition mentioned before, on SF. People have reported excellent results from eye surgery. Much as I dread any messing about with my eyes, it may come to that.

1 Like

I use clip on yellow tinted lenses at night, cuts out the glare

2 Likes

Cataract surgery is the most performed, and one of the safest forms of, surgery in the world. Get yourself checked out and booked in - you’ll be amazed at the difference.

4 Likes

As like Brian says, I was scared to death of the thought of my eyes being tampered with, but, it was amazingly painless apart from pulling off the sticky tape on my eyebrows next morning. I could not drive in the dark at all nor in bright sunlight as I did not have prescription sunglasses then and also could not judge where the pavement or the centre line was which was a good indication of how bad it can get apart from total blindness. I had both eyes done within three months of each other, a prescription lens inserted in both and this meant no need for glasses although now its beginning to change and glasses are worn for driving. Best bit was the local, just like downing many glasses of strong red wine and not having a care in the world and you get an amazing light show for free as well!

1 Like