Connexion subscription - worth it?

I’ve subscribed for many years and find it a very informative online publication despite only having a résidence secondaire in France.

For anyone living and possibly working in France I would think it would an even more useful resource

I’ve subscribed for several years, some useful info, but their Pest issues are so far off the mark, I wait for them to be listed on fb then I rip them to shreds.

They always ask lab techs or scientists, I find them way off the mark.

I think this year will be my last subscripted (sic) year.

1 Like

If the issue is serious in any way then far better to look at service-public or impôts.gouv sites. Just about anything one needs to know is there, and it is authoritative and reliable. Their newsletters and those from the ministries are free and good.

3 Likes

I think you’re in danger of comparing two very different sources of info and types of info, and of course looking at one doesn’t preclude looking at the other…

For me The Connexion has many shortcomings and occasional errors, but I think in balance it’s better that it exists than that it didn’t. It can be useful to many people and in any case subscription is voluntary.

Nevertheless I wouldn’t want it to be my sole source of French news and info.

5 Likes

Factual up to date info versus (very often) inaccurate out of date waffle?

6 Likes

No, primary and secondary texts.

I’m not comparing them - no point in comparing an elephant and a dustbin!

But on reflection perhaps these publications are useful for people who really don’t have much of a clue how France works, don’t read French, and don’t look at or read other news. So maybe useful for those yet to move to France, or newly arrived.

3 Likes

I suppose if the Correxion makes you aware of something, and you look at the primary source, it is a good thing.

5 Likes

I think that with so much news/info now out there, coming from all sorts of directions, I find it more and more important to cross reference to ensure what I’m taking away is indeed real and correct. Sometimes it can be a challenge!

3 Likes

But so much cheaper to go to the tax office. They will help you FOC.

1 Like

This year’s official exchange rate is £1 = €1.139 - so that’s not cost you anything!

And if one factors in petrol, time and hassle by doing it F2F?

TBF, we went there for our firs French tax return because our situation was complicated as it spanned four countries. But ever since the process became pre-filled and online, I’ve done the whole thing without moving from the sofa.

From the various to-ing and fro-ing here on this thread… it’s clear (at least to me) that folk will do what suits them best… for whatever reason… they make whatever their choice… and no need to pigeonhole anyone… just because they do… or do not subscribe … :rofl:

I read at least 2 and sometimes 3 French Publications each day… just to see what’s what and how they differ in their presentation and understanding… OK, it’s not often but a different viewpoint can sometimes be quite an eye opener… or food for thought.

1 Like

If one goes to the tax office most will tell you there is no official annual exchange rate, but you should use the precise exchange rate on the day the sum in question arrived in your French account :slightly_smiling_face::man_shrugging:

1 Like

I presume the negative comments come from people who don’t subscribe hence how can they make any valid criticism.
Some are quite nonsensical.

I have an online sub to NYT but occasionally still buy a hard copy from our local Tabac because there’s something wonderful about sitting at the Café with a grand creme and a paper from a world away. Love living here!

3 Likes

Back in UK, I used to subscribe to Paris Match … pretending we had already achieved our dream… :wink:

My Impôts office said put what conversion rate you think reasonable, and you don’t really have to worry because if we don’t like it we’ll recalculate with our own rate.

I took that as “show your workings” so make use of Notes boxes to jot down how Euro figure was arrived at.

Actually, most of us who have commented actually do subscribe, or at least have subscribed in the past or have bought the paper from newsagents etc. My comments, for example, are a result of having subscribed for many years.

4 Likes

I subscribe to multiple publications because I feel that I should pay for what I use. Connexion included. I enjoy the hard copy and that it brings up things I may want to research/check further. Napoleonic baguettes being a fun fact recently.

I pass my copies to my English students. Reading French centred stories and current affaires in English is more interesting for them. Provides us with topics to discuss.

1 Like

Nevertheless, I’ve always used a single figure (two actually as we still also have income in rand) for the whole year with appropriate explanation and it’s never been questioned.

I’m seventy-two this year and IMO life’s too short to unnecessarily work out the precise individual exchange rate on a year of international transfers in rand and sterling across several different accounts

But if others enjoy that sort of exercise, that’s fine by me…