Driver not at fault

I agree, but tempus fugit and all that, also perhaps some of us are still a bit sharper than others. Food for thought either way. No wonder the insurance companies stack it against us too, not that I have ever claimed over pushing the half century.

Quite prepared to admit that I used to have better eyesight, better hearing, quicker reactions, but I like to think that long experience, better anticipation and less testosterone compensates for that. Can't speak for others though.........

Actually Mike, I looked after reading your comment and over-60s (that's us... blast!) are as bad as young, inexperienced drivers all over Europe. Over big seven-oh it gets worse and the young ones improve. High speed accidents are mainly males between 30 and 50, peaking at 38, women in the same age group are comparably very good. I thought a bit like you but checked and I think it is probably a question of perception - how we see things rather than how they actually are (drat, drat, drat!).

A lot of drivers these days have not been through the same apprenticeship as we had, starting off with a pedal cycle, then motorbike, then old bangers with feeble brakes and poor roadholding. These all give you a feel for the road that young drivers seem to lack. Yet there is talk of re-testing older drivers, even though they are rarely involved in the most dangerous high-speed accidents.
Get rid of the air bags and seat belts and put a spike in the middle of the steering wheel - that's what I say! ;-)

But then, turning left or right off a road and having somebody overtake although you have signalled for several hundred meters or somebody who jumps a give way when not only do you have right of way but are already half way across the junction and all the rest of the stunts are hairy. Overtaking at high speed on blind corner roulette gets me especially, then I have had a post up after seeing the outcome of a stupid gamble on that count. For all of that, it is the minority of drivers who do these things.

I must have been too old when I moved here. I neither feel safe in France, nor in the UK any more!
But I like to think that it makes me a more careful driver........

Our small local supermarket is popular with old folks who only use their cars to go shopping. Some of them can hardly walk, let alone turn round to see while reversing.
Large supermarkets have different problems. The "parkings" are so big that it is possible to drive through them at high speed, making it very difficult for drivers trying to reverse out of a bay. I now use my hazard lights in these situations, but some still don't seem to get the message.

French car parks AKA "Dodgems" are surely the most dangerous places. I nearly got my brand spanking car totalled this morning by some imbecile who just jumped in his car, put it in reverse & pulled out as I was about to pass him. If it hadn't been a new car I probably wouldn't have been as wary with the obvious result. Strangely I find the French quite reasonable & courteous drivers once outside the car park!

A friend of mine was knocked over in the car park, and all she was doing was putting her trolley back. The driver didn't even know he had hit her until it was pointed out to him. This happened in December last year and she is still undergoing intensive physiotherapy (which involves five days a week, six hours a day) on her arm, which will never ever be the same again, and she's having to take medication for the pain, which doesn't always agree with her. The matter is still going through the insurance stage, but the insurance company has been dragging its heels, and heaven only knows when it will all be over. She is currently out of pocket, too; hopefully, she will get all her money back when the matter has been resolved. I feel as nervous in the car parks as I do on the roads here because people are always reversing out without looking behind them; I always feel safer driving in the UK!

To be serious, just for a moment..... ;-)

I find the following phrase in common use "Si l'autre conducteur prend la fuite......."

Sounds a bit ambiguous to English ears, but no, it doesn't translate as "takes a leak!"

Some useful practical advice here - http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F2149.xhtml

Thanks Jane.

Shirley,

My observations in the UK taught me never to trust a man who drives while wearing a hat!
But I think this one is a permanent fixture and he probably wears it in bed as well............

Un délit de fuite ?

a bit strong but it's about right.

Ahem! I don't think I've learnt to conjugate that one yet ;-)

Kate,

Don't know the correct legal terminology, but "foutre le camp" should do it!

It could have helped to confirm that I was driving at walking pace.
It might also have shown if his reversing light was on before I drew level with the back of his car and I might have been able to avoid the accident if I had been more observant.
A useful learning tool for anyone interested in improving their driving - and that should be all of us!

As I've posted before, a dash camera, these days, is a Godsend in many situations. Personally, I think everyone should have one. In the UK, I believe possession and use of one may reduce insurance premiums in some cases.

In this case, however, it probably wouldn't have helped.

Patrick,

Different in France. The "Code de la Route" also applies in "Parkings". So it is important to follow the arrows and observe priority from the right.

Also, it is not an offense to refuse to complete the "Constat" but it could look like an admission of guilt. However it might be justifiable if you are shocked after the accident and don't feel able to think clearly.

But it is illegal to leave the scene of the accident without exchanging details.

I only know these things because I checked after this incident.........

Directly after the accident, the other driver was claiming that it was my fault and I wondered if he would be saying the same thing if I had been walking past and he had put me in hospital with two broken legs.
OK, we all make mistakes and quite often other alert drivers save us from the consequences. But I like to think that we can learn from these incidents and become better drivers as a result. A downright denial of liability doesn't seem to show the right attitude of mind. Especially in France where drivers are encouraged to agree the circumstances of the accident, unlike the UK where the process is more confrontational and drivers are advised to admit nothing.

I took pictures right after the accident, but a windscreen camera could have provided even better evidence. I understand that in Russia these are regarded as essential, both as a source of evidence in insurance claims, as well as providing amusing clips to post on Facebook!

If I were to call the gendarmes to ask them to book "the driver for simply walking away leaving the incident as if it had never happened and taking evasive action" - is there a particular term for this in French or would stumbling through the facts over the phone to a policeman bring about the same conclusion?

Although I'm fairly fluent I find reporting incidents in French very difficult because of the often specific legal terminology. Is there a good quick way to improve this that you know of?

Yep. 'Sharp Practice' is a phrase that springs to mind.