Early Retirees Healthcare in France - help!

Susan, I am in a similar position to you & have researched & sought opinions in many places. I currently live in Spain which, believe me, makes France seem like a walk in the park in comparison. We will be moving to France as soon as the sale of our house here is complete & I have decided that the only safe option is to do our 90 days on our still valid EHICs & then do the required 5 year residency in France covered by fully comprehensive health insurance. Yes, it does seem unfair but it highlights the utter uselessness of the unelected EU bureaucrats in Brussels - sitting in their ivory towers concocting rules & regulations that nobody ( apart from the UK ) pays the slightest bit of attention to.

One can complain all day long & get absolutely nowhere, achieving nothing but taking years off your life with the stress of it all, unfair though it may seem.

By the way, can anyone impart the name of an organisation that may be able to better the €440 per month I have been quoted for comprehensive health care for my wife & I (59 & 62 next birthday) - this is the best quote I have received so far

That's a lot clearer, thank you Debra. I will let you know how I get on.

We have 3 boys, 8, 7 and 3. They're looking forward to starting school in a couple of weeks time.

Thanks Theresa.....when we finally get our Orange landline connected no doubt all will get easier.

call the hotline CPAM number I mentioned... it is based in Nimes and it is for English speaking people.... I'm sure you'll get the updated answers that you require :)

I've also now read the very informative thread...thankyou.

My wife is an early retiree having moved to France last month with our three young children. She will not receive her UK Police pension until she is 60 as she completed 23 years service but not the required 30.

I continue to work in the UK before finishing and retiring from my police career (with my pension) in three years time. The move has been done now so our eldest, 8 yrs won't be disadvantaged in terms of his schooling otherwise we'd have waited until I retire.

We have received conflicting information in respect of healthcare but in terms of early retirees (as in my wifes case the attached is how we now understand it from the UK perspective)

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/Pages/healthcareinFrance.aspx

Tony or Debra if you can offer advice as to what you believe we should have / do in our circumstances then I would be really appreciative. After you've given the advice (if you feel able) then can I suggest you set yourselves as Healthcare Advice Consultants and make some money out of it as clearly many of us are finding it very useful.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Good luck with it. John.

Thanks for that Sarah. You’ve turned my waffle into a logical plan :slight_smile:

John,

Are you still operating as an AE? If so, forget the private insurance and apply for your French CEAM card (like the UK EHIC) via your French health provider.

If you have closed your AE, as you are approaching (by 2015) 5 years' residency, you can apply to CMU.

At UK state retirement age you will be entitled to your healthcare via a S1.

I think that your old bills should be reimbursed if you haven't received your card (and that it was their fault that the process was long).... for engineers that I help who are covered by Ram gamex it is stated that they must pay but will be reimbursed as of the date that the coverage was accepted....

try :)

you must unfortunately have to go regularly to the CPAM office to bug them... a friend of mine systematically makes photocopies of his health care sheets and when he goes to the CPAM and there is a problem...he shows them the copy that he has...this seems to speed up the process....unfortunately, whatever the work sector you can meet competent and incompetent employees :)

I know that even for ram gamex (for engineers that are independent workers), I must regularly send new emails with copies of documents to get things sorted out ... very long, aggravating and time-consuming...but it works :)

hang in there !!!

Hello

...that is why is you are have the French coverage (carte vitale) that it is essential to get a supplemental private plan...which is not that expensive (....perhaps 50 euros per month per person)... but you're rate will be based on your age, your professional situation, ...

Swiss Life were very well priced for great coverage

and

of course Pacifica from Crédit Agricole was recommended by a friend but I haven't checked their rates (I'm covered through my company....) I find health coverage for engineers who come work on a temporary basis in France as independent workers (travailleurs indépendents)

You are spot on Susan. We retired here in 2010. I was 56 and my wife was 50. I took out private health insurance for both of us but also through bloody mindedness pursued CVs through us both becoming AEs, which worked. I also kept and renewed our EHICs. So we had it all. Unfortunately my wife passed away suddenly las December so now the private health insurance bills are halved but our income remains the same. Thus I doubt I’ll start paying 15% from age 65/66. Maybe when the private insurance gets too expensive :slight_smile:

I wonder is anyone knows of you can get top up insurance for EHICs?

Does this mean that Gillian Marquis and husband upon being resident in France (which is what they seem to be) could apply for and get from France a CEAM - Carte Européene d'Assurance Maladie and then when they require health care that seems like it may be expensive simply visit Britain, perhaps visiting relatives for 89 days for instance, and obtain full NHS treatment for free? In theory at least. Or do they have to obtain 100% French health cover as a necessity anyway, which negates my question.

call the hotline :)

0811 363 646

CPAM hotline to explain your situation and find the solution :)

I have just sent this to friends who have just moved here a few weeks ago and are about to embark on the full time ex pat life in France having had a holiday home here for a good few years. Fortunately for them their French is fairly good and that is a massive head start. Just spotted that there is a posting on car registration so will have to have a look at that as that is partially covered below:

Hi Karen and Simon,

This is well worth a read on the early retirement stuff.

As far as I am concerned you have to stay healthy and avoid any of this or have a massive heart attack in which case they will look after you.

Basically it is a nightmare. I still have loads of bills, which I have paid for and still cannot find out if they should all have been sent to the UK or just to CPAM here. It also looks like they are time limited so the older ones I can kiss reimbursement good-by to. Phoning the georgies in Newcastle is like talking to the wall and they are even more obtuse than the French and as hard to understand.

We have our CV attestation but we still don't have the actual cards. The pharmacy in St Bonnet would not accept the numbers on the CV attestation but Bollick Pharmacy in Mirambeau, opposite the square did. What is that all about?

We also have top up insurance but no-one seems to be able to tell me if the insurance and the CPAM office are linked or do you have to send copies or what to the insurance company. As I said before it is a nightmare but a lot of that is down to not speaking French.

Finally, after many aborted attempts, got the agreement from the Prefecture on the car re-registration, but talk about going through hoops of fire. Due to a mis understanding I thought that I had to produce a stamped envelope with my address on it as proof of residence. It turns out I needed to provide a stamped self addressed envelope for the Carte Grise to be sent to me. Found this out at 11.55 yesterday. They close at twelve and true to form there was a sign on the door saying they were closed in the afternoons all this week. The man gave me an envelope to address but I had to get to the Tabac and back with a stamp for it. Just made it on time, somewhat out of puff, and fortunately the people behind me, who had moved up, had held him up so that helped. A lady had popped out of the office next door, I think she was the manager, and looked over everything and told him it was all OK, while he was still dealing with the other people. I tried the old, parle vous anglais?, to which she replied non. As I left she called out bye bye when I said au revoir. Grrrrr. By the way there may be no 'Road Fund License' in France but it just cost 299.50€ to re-register the car from the previous owner to my own name.

Just made it back to the bank for 3.00 for my appointment to sort out the car insurance. Waited 20 minutes before being seen, which is par for the course. Insurance sorted but still can't drive the car until the paperwork arrives. Only in France!! New contact there speaks very good English and is well travelled, which explains that. I said to him about earlier and he thinks many French are too embarrassed to speak English in case they make mistakes and look silly. I told him I wouldn't mind being in that situation and I would have a go anyway. He also mentioned that his wife teaches English and he has often prompted her to teach as a part time job. May be worth progressing, depends what she wants in the way of wages.

Love and best wishes Ian xx

Hi Tony, thanks for the info. I must say that I never intended to 'use' the French system. It's a situation I found myself in. Caught between the two countries as I prepared to move over here permanently. Also worth saying that I have paid taxes in France for 19 years now for one reason or another; and obviously all my life in the UK. I have had other things on my mind throughout this frightening process so worrying about the legalities etc has only made things worse. The medical help I have had has been good but everything else associated with it has been a nightmare. I wouldn't recommend anyone who has the choice to go through it here unless they have endless funds to cover things whilst being treated. Interesting to note that my cardio-surgeon told me that he operates on many UK citizens here in Bordeaux as it is much cheaper for the NHS to send them to France for treatment. That was a surprise to me too! By the way I have never used the EHIC or the old E101 throughout all my years in France either for myself or for my family. I have always simply just paid the bills in the past. I am very very grateful to the French medical system who deemed it necessary to operate and not to wait as the NHS suggested, otherwise I would now be suffering heart failure. That would have cost either system a lot more money to treat. Thanks France :-) P.S. I will of course still have to pay the same as a French citizen for the 'extras' i.e. the daily hospital charges and other depassements which I will happily do as I don't yet have a mutuelle (?) to cover these costs. My surgeon wavered his 'depassement' out of the goodness of his heart. Nice fella! I wasn't trying to give advice to anyone, just sharing my experiences.

Please note for 2016

http://travail-emploi.gouv.fr/evenements-colloques,2215/la-loi-de-securisation-de-l-emploi,2288/les-fiches-pratiques,2305/une-loi-pour-les-droits-des,2307/generalisation-de-l-acces,16430.html

La généralisation de la complémentaire santé à compter du 1er janvier 2016

As of the 1st of January 2016 everyone shall have a supplemental private health plan in France (which goes to show you that the government doesn't reimburse everything...and less and less.... that is why, in my opinion it is important to have an extra health care plan.

Good morning everyone,

I finally got connected with the Nimes CPAM office who gave me the number for English speaking people to call the CPAM and explain their situation...to find a solution

Good luck!

Despite the fact that you have an "old" carte vitale, it doesn't mean that it's valid today... it hasn't been used lately and you cannot justify payment of contributions for this coverage as a salaried worker or independent worker in France... Regarding the private health care plan (supplemental to a state public plan : either UK or French) it is about 50 euros per month but seeing as they ask your age, .... it may be more expensive for you. It is best to compare insurance plans...

I'm 62 and no, you can't have an S1 now. Cameron the bastard hsa stopped issuing them to early retirees. You have to buy private insurance now. However: It hasn't been that easy and I am still waiting for most of my spending to be returned to me by CPAM but, I had open heart surgery in Bordeaux in March with all follow ups and all pre tests etc done with great care and (I hope) successfully. I simply used my EHIC card as I was told by CPAM it was acceptable. I got 100% cover as it was a heart problem. I think it all worked for me as my cardiologist deemed it necessary to operate quickly (in Scotland they had sent me away for a year!!!). As I say I am still waiting for most of my charges to be repaid, roughly €3000 but it is dribbling back into my bank account bit by bit as each bill seems to be being paid by a different department (very French). I did NOT have to pay for the operation itself. I have been in France continually now since last July (2013) and not just on holiday. I have no idea why it all worked out but it has. I did call the place in Durham in the UK and they said "Go ahead" it'll be fine! I have never officially lived in France but I have had my house for 19 years. CPAM have given me a Social Security number that will last for 5 years to cover all my future treatment but yet to offer me a Carte Vitale. That will be the next hurdle LOL. Good luck.