English TV 2F and 2E what's happening

Hi John, we are in the Var (inland) and we have a 1 metre dish. So far the only problem we have had was one night we had a channel 5 wobble, but it was back the next day. We have a signal tracking meter. Thanks for all your useful information.

We lost 5 a while back and we live in the Lot would a bigger dish solve this ?

I would love to be a tester but problem is I am an infrequent visitor to my place in Trebes (near Carcassonne) and wont be there next until October 15. I do have people in village with a key but assume you would want me there. I also assume that October is too late for your test

Steve

Hi John

We live in the Tarn (81) and lose channel 5 in the evening on an 80cm dish, we would be interested to be a volunteer for your trial.....

Thanks for the info Neil very interesting as everybody else is losing 5 at night even with a 80cm dish. How are the tv's in the gites with the other receivers?

The dish is 60cms installed 9 years ago with quad lnb for feeds to the gite, house and apartment now with double feed to the pvr. All channels including all the 4's and 5's plus all radio channels now being received. Found it difficult to get a pvr delivered to France so family bought one at PC worldfor £150 with 320gb hard drive and brought it over. Waiting for the changeover with bated breath!

Neil

Hi Guys

Sorry for delay in replying. What size dish do you have Neil? i will look at my calendar Julia and send you a p.m with costs of install.

John

already sent you a friend request !

All channels available after 8p-will try different regions for ITV+1

Neil

Hi Neil

Is everything still working after 8.00 at night? itv+1 maybe the regional issue that it is on 2F check the lyngsat site to see.

John

Hi John

installed a Manhattan Freesat PVR yesterday with 65% signal - all Freesat channels installed within a few minutes except ITV+1

Neil

Hi Julia

Thanks for the offer. Add me as a friend as i am just going through areas and time to get to them.

Many thanks

John

Hi Neil

All receivers should get the same channels based on the satellite they are pointing at. Age/quality can have a bearing on reception quality. I am finding you need above 68% quality to keep channel 5 going all the time (this is based on using a satellite meter not the in built system). If you have freesat boxes try a new install and for a skybox pull out the power lead, press and hold the back-up button, then plug it back in, keep your finger on back-up until a message comes on the tv saying update in progress make take 10 mins or along those lines, let go and wait. There has been a lot of frequency changes due to the satellite changes. If this doesn't work and before you spend money wait until 2E is up and all is going to be ok.

John

Hi John. I am west of Perpignan in the foothills of the Canigou. You can't get much more south than me. I permanently lost channel 5 and all that went with it several months ago now. I have a normal 'small' dish. I'm a willing volunteer for your dish testing !

Here, just north of Pau, all chanels 5's lost a few weeks ago but main channel 5 back during the day. We have 3 receivers on one dish and the older ones have lost signals but the newer one has retained them. Does the choice of receiver affect the channels you can see?

Hi Keith I am just south of the Montagne Noir between Carcassonne and Narbonne . If you have lost 5 or only get it in the day you will definitely need to upgrade your dish size unless you already have an 88-100cm dish then it may be the lnb or cabling. It is a fine line at the moment just a few percent reduction in quality will lose you channel 5. For example i was getting good quality at my dish but then not so good at the point of entry to the box so i recabled with better quality cabke and better routing (the less bends the better). I found i went from between 63-68% quality (it went up and down due to poor running of the cables previously) to 74% this also meant i am now above the 68% permanantly needed to get channel 5.

Hope this helps

John. How do you "think" La Montagne Noire will be affected? We are 30 clicks up from Carcassonne and get everything perfectly,but recently lost Channel 5.