Eradicating Slugs and Snails without the use of chemicals

Dont forget copper foil around flower pots etc.

Have you had success with that, John?

Yes, I used to put foil strip around my Mums flower pots and some veg borders.

I tried it many years ago around trays etcon the allotment and remember that it didnā€™t work BUT it may be that it stopped working after a while because the copper oxidised? What do you think?

Interesting, I used a 2" wide copper foil that we had at work and that was ok. Unless it was heavily oxidised I would have expected it to be ok.

1 Like

Thanks John - Iā€™ll see if I can find some and will give it another go!

I think I will give a try over here in the UK again to.
Have to source a bit of copper foil.

You can buy copper bands in the UK (at a price) but Iā€™m not sure about foilā€¦ or in France eitherā€¦

Foil is used, as we did for electrical sheilding of test equipment, just ordered a couple of metres via Ebay.
Also have some aluminum tape so will try that as I just had to remove a snail fron the headlining of my car after taking garden rubbish yesterday so it can be the first test subject with the aluminum.

1 Like

Iā€™ll be very interested to hear about your results with aluminium. If I can find foil on ebay here Iā€™ll look at that tooā€¦

Aluminum no good at all, even after scrubbing off a possible laquer layer. Just put some old copper plumbing offcuts out and a slug climbed right through it without being deterred at all so I think it maybe junk science.

Ah yes - I remember now that I tried copper pipe to no avail. I wonder if the tape works if it makes a complete ring, hence pseudo circuit?

It was 40 years ago and only had Mum to comment but I think I shall save the Ā£5 on copper foil for now. The test was with slugs but I will try a snail ā€¦