Hand Made

Thanks Alison.

Anyone got a dog? We have just got a puppy from Phoenix and I was looking to make a bed for him. I found a great tutorial from Martha Stewart using an old bath towel and some wadding. It took me an evening but mainly because it has some hand sewing but I think this could be replaced by machining instead. Harley (the puppy) loves it. It washes and tumbles well which is fantastic with a pupply. I'm definitely going to make another. If anyone wants the link, let me know and I will dig it out and post it here.

What a great bag Karen.

I love Pinterest too, I totally agree about, both, the time and the bits of magazines !!! Found you and am now following you.

Thanks Patricia. I've made a few of these in slightly different formats for family and friends and they prove popular. I haven't followed one particular pattern. I saw a travel art case on Amazon and then did a bit of search on Pinterest, (love that site!). I then just draw up a rough pattern from the different styles I found. I adjust the inside layout depending on the end use. It helps if you have the pads etc. to go in it. My Mum already had all that so that's why I inserted paper cut-outs and instructions so she would know what went where as I wasn't sure she would figure it out! She was really pleased with it and uses it for her art class as she finds it much lighter to carry than her other case. I mainly made it because she travels quite a lot (cruises etc.) and doesn't want to take her heavy case but likes to paint and sketch while she's away. My daughter has one with a Union Jack design on the front made with ribbons and lace.

Talking of Pinterest, this is such a good source for patterns; sewing, knitting, crochet and craft. Either links to patterns to buy or blogs where someone has shared a tutorial. If you search for "Karen P" you should find my boards, then you will see how much I've pinned! At least it keeps the magazine tear sheets and print outs to a minimum. I love the fact that they are stored in one place and I can easily find what I need (most of the time!). However, it should come with a warning as it can be a time-waster - I find I go there to look for something and 2 hours later, I'm still on there! Such lovely things.

I think the Eiffel Tower appliqué is really striking and I think the size works well on your cushion. It makes it a real feature.

I am not very good at sharing photos of my work but you have given me a bit of confidence to share my latest project, an travel art bag for my mother.

Lovely sampler quilt Alison and Patricia your cushions are adorable. Thanks for sharing them. I love seeing other peoples work. I've been quilting off and on for thirty years and I'll post some photos too if I can figure out how to do it.

Alison - your quilt is lovely, great design.

Patricia - the cushions are also pretty. Love the Eiffel tower, was this a print or did you create it?

Thank you ladies.

Patricia, love your cushions. I find lining up the squares the hardest part, but these are both perfect.

Alison - it's really beautiful!

I would click the like button for that quilt for sure. It's terrific.

I finished my first quilt last week. I have to say how much I now love patchwork and quilting. I’ve alsready started my second one using some fab Libertys fabric. A xx

Sharon - I am not sure I said "Welcome" - anyway, you are (very) welcome to the group! Sounds like you are very busy!

Hi, I'm new to Hand Made, but have been crocheting since 1970 (my boyfriend's mother taught me). I am a retired American, married since 2000 to an Englishman; we lived 6 years in Cornwall then moved to France in 2006...and we have NEVER regretted it!

I am part of a group of English-speaking ex-pat crafters living in the northern part of the Indre and the southern part of the Loir-et-Cher departments. We get together each week at a different member's house for an afternoon of knitting/crocheting/sewing with a bit of chatter and tea and cakes. We have been selling our crafts (dolls, animals, baby clothing, potholders, key rings, fridge magnets, etc) at area brocantes and we use the money to buy more yarn/material (i.e.: support our habit) and once or twice a year we all go out for lunch with the group's fund paying 1/2 the bill. It's a great group of about 8-10 ladies and we always have a laugh. It's good to have a support group who speaks my native language (more or less!!) and since we have all been here various lengths of time, we have all learned places to go for special items, who the best dentists are around here, etc...a MOST valuable resource!

I will say that it probably has delayed my French language growth, since I'm not FORCED to speak French 24/7...but my life here is so much richer since I met these ladies and joined the group...and I DO keep trying to speak French on the other 6 days each week!

Our group is currently working on Fairies (very stylized), witches, wizards and elves. We hope they will be a hit at the Medieval Fairs this summer. We also continue with Teddy Bears, baby blankets and hats, etc.

Hope to connect with some of you talented ladies on this site, as well! HAGD! (Or: Cheers!)

Welcome Gillian. Please do tell us about your current projects, and put up a few photos if you have some.

Hi All, I'm new to SFN and this group. I like all kinds of sewing but particularly dressmaking and cross stitch.

Hi Helen, well, it's nothing exciting really but I am making cross stitch bookmarks as gifts for some young girls who have spent/will spend some time with us learning English. Other than that, I am doing running repairs to old clothes to spin them out and of course to hubby's overalls as we cannot find suitable replacements here - the local ones are far too thin with plastic buckles and he'd be through the knees quick as a flash. Sewing supplies here are few and far between and I have not found a good place for material, so still looking.

Welcome Pamela - please spend a moment telling us what you are making at the moment, and post up some pictures if you can.

Welcome Gerda!

Hi all.. just joined the SFN and as I like quilting and knitting and sewing.. I thought I'd join in here!

Well that explains everything! You are supermum. I guess also you are 20 years younger than me! once iget everything back to where it should be I'll get stuck in, I want to finsh my quilt!but I cant sew in mess, and of course the OH has just retired and is now at home all day..........say no more!!!!

thank you helen for your welcome.. Actually I'm a bit of a cheat amongst you all as Sewing is my profesion!! I 've worked from home since 1973 whith a work room in my house.I've brought up 4 children do the garden and no cleaning lady until this year someone comes for 2 hours a week.I studied at the London Colledge of Fashion in Baker street.and did tailoring but now I just do every thing to do with interieurs Roman blinds,cutains'loose covers etc.I just loved reading about all your members knitting and other handy ork as I am always amazed when people make an effort to "make" things.Sadly its now difficult to find even a shop which sells zips and forget all the fabric shops we had when I arrived in France!!There were 3 big shops even on the champs elyssé!! Max Bouchara and Rodin;Hardly any children want to learn to sew and my daughter can't even sew on a button