Hats off to Amazon!

At times, when the return cannot be handled, you can cancel the return and then start the return process again - this happened to me whilst I was in the drop off point and this time it all worked fine.
I have found the whole returns process to be great and painless.

Your anti Amazon crusade is admirable Jane and I seem to recall Leroy Merlin is in your banned list due to links with Russia?
Rather than damaging a brick wall, if you can’t beat um - join um.
Would be interested to see the source of your claim regarding twice as many injuries than other companies in the sector.
As for trade unions those who work for Amazon and other companies who don’t allow them know what employment contract they are signing up to.
Amazons business model might not please everyone but if they have something someone wants that is cheaper than the rest and you don’t have to drive from place to place to find a shop that might have stock, and doesn’t then Amazon it is.

1 Like

@billybutcher if you can’t untick Prime trial during the checkout process just go back a screen then forward again and it will give you a version you can untick.

If you need to switch return methods, eg from print return label to drop at relais, contact Amazon and they will reissue in the different mode. Chat is best, but needs the Amazon app on your phone (which I install, use for Chat and promptly delete).

I have msde many Kindle book returns on Amazon always due to accidental clicks. After the 3rd one in a shorish period, Ihink 4-5 weeks, the return is not agreed automatically and you have to contact them. I’ve never once had a problem with this.

I’ve only ever returned 1 physical item : as it was not the colour described and I point this out too when asking them to refund accidentally purchased Kindle books.

The real fun ones are when I’ve bern scrolling a aeries of, say, 12 Kindle books to see what’s in the “Series” product and accidentally clicked the Purchase button for the series (slow network means I clicked to scroll but internally the website still had that part of the screen as the Purchase series button). When you come to refund the accidental purchase, it purchased 12 books with one click. But it won’t let you un-purchse them except individually…This is why I know Amazon will only let you return 3 books within a short period without having to contact them for any more than 3 :-). Done this twice.

Watch out though if something you ordered is never delivered to.you - eg far, far too late still not there.
After about 2 weeks past estimated delivery date in F they seem to categorise it “lost by delivery co”. They will promptly send you another of the sme item BUT beware their system will do it by marking the not-received item as a return. So your returms count will look higher than it is - I’ve had 2 of those in F and wish they wouldn’t do.this.

1 Like

We did, but even clicking “no thanks” it remained in the basket, with no option to remove it.

Reasons to use Amazon: it’s cheaper and delivery is easy and fast.

Reasons not to use Amazon: monumental tax avoidance and huge profits off the backs of underpaid and poorly treated workers, not to speak of anticompetitive and monopolistic practices, attacks on customers’ privacy, damaging environmental practices…

Hats off indeed.

2 Likes

Under Distance Selling regs, which I think are still similar enough in UK and F, if return is due to error of seller then they are responsible for return costs. If you just changed your mind, not.

So if something about the product is not suitable and that feature was not disclosed on the website, or the product differs from description, return costs must be paid by the vendor in addition to refund. Or if product is defective or fails within an unreasonably short time.

Any clause in their t’s and c’s or restriction attempting to say you have to pay return costs does not apply in these cases - as statute overrides contract and the Distance Selling Regulations are in statute.

Then trash the Checkout process and do it again. The system does learn. Though I agree it’s irritating. A few years back Amazon was told to stop “sticky” tactics like this by regulator in the UK but they seem to be creeping back in.

If you cancel straight away, the benefits still run for 30 days.
That way you don’t forget.

I was blissfully unaware of just what a shit storm the Amazon marketplace is until I spoke with some friends about it a few years back. We were, at the time, considering starting a business selling via Amazon.

That conversation sent us down the rabbit hole of Amazon keywords, pay-per-click, sponsored ads, etc… Turns out there’s a whole industry that’s spun up just dealing with gaming Amazon’s search results.

I then read some articles by Cory Doctorow on the enshittification of sites such as Facebook, Google, Twitter… and Amazon.

The Amazon one is particularly worth reading… Pluralistic: How monopoly enshittified Amazon/28 Nov 2022 – Pluralistic: Daily links from Cory Doctorow

Keep scrolling, you’ll keep seeing ads, including ads you’ve already scrolled past. “On these first five screens, more than 50 percent of the space was dedicated to ads and Amazon touting its own products.” Amazon is a cesspit of ads: twice as many as Target, four times as many as Walmart.

How did we get here? We always knew that Amazon didn’t care about its suppliers, but being an Amazon customer has historically been a great deal – lots of selection, low prices, and a generous returns policy. How could “Earth’s most customer-centric” company become such a bad place to shop?

The answer is in Amazon’s $31b “ad” business. Amazon touts this widely, and analysts repeat it without any critical interrogation, proclaiming that Amazon is catching up with the Googbook ad-tech duopoly. But nearly all of that “ad” business isn’t ads at all – it’s payola.

With each passing day, I am more impressed on my first return! Checked my CA card, and sure enough, the money is there!

Now, the cynic in me kicks in - I doubt if Amazon have physically received my return, as it was only lodged Saturday afternoon. I could have packed a pile of rubbish in the box for all they know…

I feel a tad guilty though - thinking about it last night in bed, I have a distinct feeling that I might have inserted the batteries in the wrong way around… :grimacing:

I’m pretty sure they’d reverse the refund when they checked the contents of the parcel, and possibly cancel your account too so probably not worth the risk :smiley: They resell returned items under their Amazon Renewed section.

Not paying tax is not Amazon’s fault. All companies have a duty to maximise profits for their share holders and if that means avoiding paying tax then it is up to the country in which they are based to legislate to ensure tax at the correct level is paid.

2 Likes

I presume you are paying for Amazon Prime when you say you get free next day delivery so it is not free.

Another urban myth. A company does have a duty (but not an obligation) to try to maximise the value of a company, which is not necessarily measured in money. Reputation and other intangibles have a lot of value.

4 Likes

True, but I think most shareholders prefer the money though. :smiley:

1 Like

Their share price seems surprisingly low considering the value of the company…

But you can’t easily build a remuneration package for senior executives based on intangibles. Obviously it would be nice if all stakeholders, owners (shareholders), employees, customers and society at large benefitted but that’s not in vogue anymore.

During the course my career, from the seventies through to 2011, I witnessed the move to shareholder value being the only real driver in many MNCs. Often to the long term detriment of those companies, focus on cost cutting, low or no investment, excessive share buyback etc. it’s really a form of asset stripping IMO.

And of course the shareholders are the most mobile and least loyale of the interested parties, suppliers, customers, employees and communities are tied to some degree or other to a firm, shareholders can just sell and move on.

1 Like

I saw the same at the company I worked for from the 80’s to the late 10’s. A great, engineering and customer focused company expanded rapidly to the point where it became a vehicle for upper management to extract as much as they could from it for shareholders and themselves, in the end pretty much destroying the company. At the point when the writing was on the wall, I abandoned ship and retired early. Now, most of the excellent engineering teams built up over decades have been spread to the four winds and the original company is now just a shell, absorbed into another faceless conglomerate.

Because the market doesnt see them increasing revenue. Big companies can suffer because greedy for quick profit red braces wearing trading a**holes dont care about long term.

Exactly. As far as the markets are concerned, they’ve peaked. Not a huge potential for further big growth that they’ve shown in the past. The aforementioned a**holes always want more that what you gave them last week.

1 Like