Home made bread recipes

sounds like the classic British problem - we avoid putting enough liquid in the dough as it isn't so easy to handle. This means that there isn't enough rise. Also when you put the loaf in the oven, try throwing a cup of water into the bottom of your oven to create a burst of steam. (Obviously, not throwing onto a gas flame...)

I do know that mill, it's 15 minutes down the road from us! I use the dried yeast sachets, I've never seen cube yeast, although they did have some other types of yeast in the bio shops that looked interesting.

Yeast, yep. Intermarché have it but in the cooler with cream cakes (!), some LeClercs have it and only the biggest Carrefours. Otherwise, look for a 'tame' baker. They exist, we haven't found one yet but have a friend with a son who works for a bakery and will sometimes remember to get a load.

HI James, it also depends which yeast you use, fresh cube yeast being the best; we make our own bread and brioche everyday for the B&B and the guests love it, for the standard bread we use 3/4 white flour (special flour for bread we buy in Metro, we used to buy it at the mill in Peyrehorade which you might know but now they only sell to bakers!!!) and 1/4 "farine de céréales" , sometimes dense is also because of an excess of water, in our liquids we put olive oil and a little splash of milk for the golden effect! you just got to keep trying something different everytime until it is right, bonne chance!

I'm a bit like Carol. By hand. It was the early years and then the part-time German life that have made me a rye bread eater. I am slightly gluten intolerant too, so even pastry, etc tends to be brown. I also use lots of buckwheat. Like rye, you need to make it at a time when you can put it to proof at least twice before baking - so typically I'll make of an evening, knead next morning and again mid afternoon followed by baking that evening.

Hi James - Agree with Carol = With "speciality flours" with low gluten contents like Rye, I would max the mix at 25-30 of the overall weight. You will need the gluten from a standard flour - creme, bise, etc to get the rise you need.

Feel free to mix your flours but try and keep to that 70 creme/bise to 30 "special flour"

Hi James...I have made bread for over 30 years..I dont like bread machines and always make by hand.I find that bread tends to be lighter and far less dense if you really do kneed it for as long as possible....the dough should feel light and elastic when you are kneeding it....and if you allow it plenty of time to rise and prove...it will be altogether lighter. Rye flour will make the bread tasty, but heavier and more dense...there is no such thing as lightweight rye bread! French bread is often left to rise for 12 or 24 hours...but it has less yeast than conventional bread. Try looking up on the internet ideas for lighter bread...I find a good hot oven, a warm spot to prove and rise the bread...and kneed for longer than usual. Good luck.