Horror at the Barbers

When I was six years old I had very long hair. My mother took me to her hairdresser in Beirut to solve my split ends. He put me on a very high chair, plaited my hair in long plaits, then with a flame singed everything sticking out of the plaits. I just thought this was one of the things a lady had to endure.

Just as well. A couple of years later, to end repeated bouts of nits from school, I was given a page boy haircut. All the same, I still preferred the girly hair and flaming.

I have longish hair (below shoulderblades) and my colleagues at work have from chin-length to longer than mine, nobody has very short hair.

That was the usual thing the rare times I had long hair as a child (my granny would encourage long hair but my mother always made me have a buzzcut).

I was into sports a lot at school and always ending up in the showers after whatever match or training session … so Mum insisted that my hair was kept short.

As soon as I left school I grew my hair long, longer and longer :wink:
Now I have it just trimmed or a definite “transformation” once a year or so depending on my mood.
Hairdressers seem to appreciate me offering a photo of what “look” I would like them to achieve… and it’s always fun.

Being able to tie it back in foul weather does avoid me looking like a smurf :rofl: :rofl:

So, a sensible and eminently practical gentlemen’s discussion about the best technology to deal with receding hairlines has been hijacked by lady SFers flaunting their hair growing prowess… :wink:

2 Likes

My hairdresser now has a very well-presented gentleman working with her… and he did a super job on OH… while my lady did a super transformation on my way past the shoulder hair.

Excuse me, there’s no receding hairline here, I’m with the ladies but don’t need to flaunt my hair growing prowess, hence my need for a good (lady) barber. :laughing:

If you choose to use your hormones for growing hair, that’s up to you. :rofl:

1 Like

I’m very tolerant, but there are times when I too would have to have wild horses drag me back. But not in this case.

I’ve looked at several reviews (lots of good reviews) and what I like is that there are minimal (all that I need) comb attachments (2), a good battery, self-sharpening (no oiling), and can be cleaned under a tap.

The one I shall get (BT5515/13) has an additional third small trimming head for trimming close around the nose, upper lip & corners of the mouth.

Looks like a good choice, thanks.

Might try trimming the hair on my head to stay tidy and avoid going to the barbers, but we shall see!

That’s interesting @vero - I wonder if it’s a regional thing? I don’t think I’ve met anyone around here with hair that isn’t extremely short. Normandy-style hair? :rofl:

That certainly fits the styles depicted in La Tapisserie de Bayeux :wink:

3 Likes

Maybe it is; thinking of all the women I know or am in contact with one way or another (rather than just my colleagues) there are only three with very short hair, and they are mid-sixties and older. One is my neighbour, one is my hairdresser and one is the lady in the tobacconists’ who is in her 70s. I can’t think of anyone my age (I’ll be 60 this year) or younger with very short hair.

1 Like

Its because it dries quicker when they’ve been outside :cloud_with_rain:

3 Likes

I suppose a large proportion of people I know are in that bracket (including me) but not all by any means. Hmmm… :thinking: