Is there a solution to the 'Calais Situation'?

Graham, not sure about sparkling, but around.

Goodly then I am incorrect on all counts. As I said in my closing remarks I couldn't give a toss anyway. It won't affect me and I am making no moves to buy a prayer mat - I already have a copy of the Koran.

I will stand corrected, but assume you knewx how to differentiate?

With you most of the way. Because my discipline is social anthropology people expect me to go along with what the 'vocal minority' who believe they speak for people who need (in their opinion and not that of the people they mean) to have a voice. In fact, most of my fellow anthros and I have spent a bit over a century pleading for other people's cultures not to be interfered with. There are no exceptions, therefore whether it is an Islamic minority insisting that everywhere adopt Shari'a, the minority who say we must give space in our culture for such things to happen or people demanding the French bow and scrape to the queen of England which they refuse to... Each culture should be equally respected, not what is undesired by the majority imposed. Therefore, the proposition that somehow Shari'a be integrated into UK or any other European state's way of life is as abhorrent as what the Victorian missionaries did trying to impose Christianity because all 'unbelievers' were wrong and condemned to eternal hell fires.

Globalisation, selfish capitalism, fascism, Stalinism and other forms of dictatorship, GMOs, pesticides killing all insects including honeybees, herbicides killing everything and eventually everybody and all the rest of it are no better though. I hope the natives are restless, this old man would be happy to go to the barriers as well if the cause being fought was justified.

Twickers and Wembley both, but the hot dogs are real pork and there is definitely alcohol available. My nephew who uses both places, being a football and rugby fanatic, would attest that. Culturally the Shariah law on cloven footed animals, pigs amongst others, forbids eating pork and so on. In several Islamic countries wild pigs are hunted, no idea what they do with the carcasses though and throughout much of Islamic Indonesia, one of the biggest Moslem populations of all, pork is eaten on many of the islands. It is, as I have always understood it, a cultural rather than Ibrahamic practice in the near east and Indian subcontinent that was adopted before Judaism and later Islam grew in the Middle East and adopted the culture. It is an addition to Shariah law some centuries after the Qran was written and has never been adopted by all Moslems.

:-)

That's odd about the burgers, Norman, because last time I was at the Parc des Princes (a year ago) & indeed the Stade de France (March) I had a hot-dog at 1/2 time, which was made of pork, as they usually are, washed down with eurofizz lager, which is technically alcohol. Just saying. Can't comment on Twickenham as I haven't been for about 25 years.

I am with you 100%!

Halal probably makes sense in a hot climate - bleed the animal dry and (maybe - I am no expert!) the risk of disease is reduced. So many Islamic (and Jewish) customs make sense within the Middle Eastern environment, but are out dated or totally irrelevant in Northern Europe.

Keep you right hand for "clean" tasks and the left for dirty jobs - eminently practical in a water scarce environment.

Pigs are dirty? Yep - pigs in hot climates carry all sorts of diseases and rot quickly. Best to avoid. But irrelevant in Europe.

Your point about fleeing miserable conditions and then trying to re-create them in your new land are just so right.

And us? We revel in being tolerant, bend over backwards - and have been shafted for our pains!

Have a good day!

:-) Morning, Norman! Sparking on all six already :-)

And Mr Hollande hates the rich - so obviously what they want are poor businessmen?

I'm sorry but it IS happening across Europe - the intrusion of Shariah Law and most notably at the momnt of Halal sllaughtering. Again accepting what Brian and others say the media do like to get onto a controversial subject and build on it there is more than enough factual and checkable evidence on this element at least.

We know as a simple example that you cannot buy a non-Halal burger in either the Parc des Princes or Twickenham as the caterers are Moslim apparently. Both Rugby headquarters which is not exactly a game Muslims are renowned in. Quick Restaurants are totally Halal. OK small point perhaps if animal cruelty doesn't trouble you,and it certainly doesn't seem to trouble the young people of today as far as I can tell. It might be interesting to talkto your local butcher and ask how much meat he sells is Halal - not combative, but a simple question. I have done this recently and received a rather astonishing reply, but do your own reserach - if you care.

Yes, I hear it now cruelty to animals exists everywhere, but I don't know where it is enshrined in a religion except the Jewish one and I don't like that either.

What is more puzzling to me with Islamic immigrants is that they apparently leave their own countries to get a better life, and then immediately try and turn the host country into the same as the one they left! To me that suggests a political agenda more than a 'poor migrant' reasoning.

Personally I have sounded my warnings from my own physical experience, and yes again mine may have been different from others. But why do I bother? The Islamisation of Europe probably won't fully happen in my last few years on the planet. I don't have children or grandchildren to consider or worry about, so in reality I don't or shouldn't care less should I? In fact I have already reached that decision.

The future is not mine to really change, and people don't want to hear anyway - and it is tiresome continually trying to explain that Islam is NOT a race, and therefore being 'anti' it cannot be called racism. Anti-Islamism I will accept.

it is you, dearly beloved sisters and brethren, the sheep of the flock (who have been sheared so often), to make or not make any changes or protect what you feel is important. If you don't think it important to hold onto your own laws, customs and cultures, then so be it.

Not my problem any more.

Mr Valls says that France is pro-business!

http://www.english.rfi.fr/economy/20141006-france-pro-business-pm-valls-tells-london-audience

Doreen ....And we all know that fear provokes attack,

Look at the world right now.

I do not need dates, details and figures to stimulate my thoughts.

There is a solution to everything.

There has to be enough interest to instigate the changes.

But can they be bothered? Probably not>

I am not sure how we deal with a great deal of the question of beliefs, laws and such complicated issues. We are supposedly living in secular societies where law and religion are separated and one should not influence the other. The idea is to tolerate each others' beliefs. It is going very badly wrong at present. 99% of Moslems are trying to live day to day, 1% are fighting the rest of the world and each other. When children had their hands cut off for being members of a group of street children in Afghanistan who were suspected (not proved in any sense) of being thieves in 2012 many of us in the children's rights area put together a protest to the Afghani representation at the UN. We were met with a barrage of insulting reasons why it was none of our business. Quite a few of the people who protested are Islamic themselves, yet they were included in why it is not our business. Much the same goes where we are trying to do something about female genital mutilation (FGD), we hit walls of silence or get warnings about out interference back. If this had been roughly 20 years ago we would have been able to 'talk' to the people about such topics. Something has changed since and the question has to be what and how, but I am not optimistic we are going to see it undone. The war in Iraq seriously moved the goalposts and now it is getting scary.

Most of western Europe is accommodating those demands, it is not coming from the majority of people of their faith but from small, very vocal minorities who consider themselves their leaders. I am not so convinced Shari'a is going to take over the west but a backlash against what is happening may well. However, it is such a good illustration of the unwillingness of the people who govern and hold the purse strings to look properly, if at all, at what is happening to the people they are supposed to answer to or earn their obscene fortunes from.

'Immigration advisers' working for the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner are trained to make the assessments. They are not the same for 'normal' immigration and asylum seeking, in fact there are several grades and types of post but they are not the same as normal Immigration Services officers. Seven or eight years ago I did some children's rights training for a group of them who were sent to the university for a couple of weeks to find means of improving their training. I have no idea about pay but most of them were a very bright bunch.

Barbara I have been trying to do a very little bit of that, at least for children, for all of my working life. There are not enough people in a position to be really influential in every relevant sphere to make the world change as some of us would wish.

It is not just about disease it is about everything.

It is about UK....It is about finding a way to offer sanity to the people who are

so desperate. If these people give to the French and Calais in some way they will

have a solution.

We have to work towards making the world more ideal....

Barbara, the spread of disease is not a good reason. How can anybody know it is an immigrant and not a returning UK tourist who brings in Ebola one day? If it was that simple then many diseases would already have been eradicated by isolating people until the diseases died out.

Perhaps your village might be in an ideal world, but it is not that way.

perhaps if I had a solution no one would listien.

At this moment we are all thinking about a solution.

BUT I think that you know what I am saying....

Have a think about the spread of disease when people cross from country

to country illegally.

The starting point could be what I suggested before ....ie creating a village for

these people where they contribute towards the local economy in Calais and they

can then be assessed for entry to UK, with the knowledge that they would have

to conform to knew legislation rules Ie.....

working for rewards...in the area of housing, free medical attention and benefits...

AND, may I add this would apply to everyone in UK.

Complicated....no more than anything else. We have highly paid politicians, adminIstrators

and immigration officers.

I think people are spoiling for a fight rather than fair and square debate Glen. You are in your 'corner' and others in their own, but some people wish to throw in rocks. People find it hard to accept what others believe and can only respond that way. Ignore and let it go. I have followed this all the way through since you raised the question and will say, if I can be believed by those with rocks, that you Glen have not 'attacked' although simply questioned aspects of the issue, as is your right, and whether any of us agree or not you have been well within rights without particular prejudices.