Is Xenophobia on the rise post Brexit?

Another interesting option......

http://www.irishtimes.com/it-sunday/do-we-really-want-to-give-irish-passports-to-all-these-brits-1.2736386?utm_source=it-sunday-digest&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=digests

Can you imagine the chaos if the UK triggered Article 50 and started negotiating with France and Germany, both of whom have general elections next year, and any new incoming government had an opposing policy?

And this would have to be done for all other EU cou tries as well.

John, that assumes that all City Institutions would leave. Also the Irish are guaranteed access to work in the UK apart from being in the EU.

True but I'm a pragmatician at heart and it just aint worth the hassle asthe result is pretty much worthless (in my case, that is, I'll jump through any necessary hoops later in the day if an when required but I don't think it'll come to that ;-)

Why would you need a Carte de Sejour...now that one can be accepted by the state, after 3 months proven residency for the Carte Vitale.....What is the Carte Sejour supposed to enable one to do ?

Let's not hope not, but I don't have a French spouse either.

When the availbility of supply teaching diminished greatly in the UK, I took in lodgers for a period to make ends meet , one of whom was Polish & another a young Romanian nurse.....Yes, Poland would be a possibility nice architecture, great history and music (but I am not fond of cold winters, much less bone-freezing Polish ones).....I would be very well off in Romania (my Romanian nurse told me that he could only expect to earn the equivalent of £400 per month working as a nurse over there)...apparently HRH Charles has a magnificent palace/estate there and surprisingly, they have the best , most extensive and reliable broadband coverage of anywhere in the world.....Unfortunately, there is a bad gang problem, (particularly in the gypsy communities) and local corruption (as in places like Bulgaria) is rife.it's sad...Also, I can just about cope with French, I can't see me managing Polish or Romanian....

It gives you the right of permanent residence.

Romanian is supposed to be a Romance language like French, so perhaps it would not be as difficult as say Polish.

The income part of the residence criteria disappear after five years legal residence.

Shucks, no.....

more precisely; it's proof of id, which a carte vitale isn't!!! and proof that you are here legally to live and work (depending on the carte issued - there are several). A carte vitale just shows you're in the health system, you'll only ever show it where health is concerned - hospital, doctor's, dentist, pharmacie etc. The two are completely different and serve completely different purposes!

That's just it Jane - it doesn't give you any rights. It simply confirms rights and entitlements that you have under current legislation. Entitlement is governed by legislation, and a carte de séjour doesn't override legislation.

Excellent.

So you unless you have citizenship you can be thrown out at the whim of the next government?

exactly, ...or this one if they wanted which is why it really isn't worth getting all worked up about whether we have the right or not to have our dossier processed. It's just a bit of useful ID but doesn't give you any rights as such ;-)

Not if they're still in the EU as permanent residency rights after five years' legal residence is an EU rule.

désolé mais ça va de soi ;-)

The point being that it's the entitlement that counts. Not whatever bits of paper or card you have or don't have in your handbag - they don't change the facts, and entitlement is based on facts.

Anna, I wouldn't want to argue the toss with the gendarmerie about my entitlement. They would want to see proof.