Landlord and Tenant Act (or - HELP! Advice sought on unfurnished lease)

Don't kid yourself, the tenants can give 3 months notice at any time and for certain reasons they only have to give a month. They have all the rights, the landlord has none.

True :-) Thanks for the correction :-)

Thanks very much indeed, Dorothy! My friends have gone off now on their way back to Ireland, but your message is the first indication we have had that at least it is *possible* to break the lease. I will relay that to them immediately!

Thank you so much to everyone for their input! SFN rocks!!! :-)

You are allowed to sell before the 3 years is up to another investment landlord who must also take on the tenant. These buyers are usually after a bargain price and a good return but if you can find one it’s a way to offload before the 3 years is up. Good luck!

Thanks Doreen --- I will relay that info. Thanks for the good advice!!!!

Bon jour, Catherine - et grands mercis :-)

Hi

The French tenancy law is very heavily geared towards the tenant. It states that the owner can only get rid of the tenant at the end of the three years tenancy (unless they destroy the property or fail to pay rent!); you have to give them 6 months notice as well as first refusal to buy the property, following the directions in Tracey's post.

Thanks, Susan
We haven't been able to locate a copy of the lease here (I am sure Century 21 will have copies) but my friends' copy is back in Ireland. They are going to explore options tomorrow.

Thanks again!!

I am sure you are *always* appreciated, Tracy!!

We rent a house out to teants on a 3yr lease signed with landlord and tenant, and from agents century 21, they told me you can give tenant notice to quit after 2 and half years, ie give them 6 months to quit, and tenants can break lease in same way, but not before 2 and half yrs

Thank you, it's nice to be appreciated :-)

What can I say??? Thanks a million, Tracy!!! Now to try to read it properly!!!! You are an angel!!!

Here is the law according the Service Public which I think is one of the best official sources of information available in France!

Congé pour vendre

Le propriétaire peut donner congé au locataire pour vendre le logement qu'il occupe. Le congé vaut alors offre de vente au profit du locataire.

À savoir : le propriétaire peut aussi vendre le logement occupé en cours de bail sans en informer le locataire et sans lui donner congé.

Contenu de la lettre de congé

La lettre de congé adressée au locataire doit :

• indiquer le prix de vente et le mode de paiement (au comptant ou par paiements échelonnés),

• et décrire précisément ce que comprend la vente (logement et annexes).

En l'absence de ces informations, le congé n'est pas valable, le bail est alors reconduit pour la même durée.

Le congé régulièrement délivré vaut offre de vente au profit du locataire en place.

Décision du locataire

À compter de la date de réception de la lettre de congé, le locataire a 2 mois pour accepter ou refuser l'offre de vente.

L'absence de réponse du locataire est considérée comme un refus d'acheter et il doit quitter le logement à la fin du bail.

Si le locataire accepte la vente, il doit en informer le propriétaire :

• par lettre recommandée avec avis de réception

• et au plus tard dans les 2 mois suivant la date de réception de l'offre de vente.

Le locataire dispose ensuite d'un délai de 2 mois (ou 4 mois en cas de recours à un crédit immobilier) à compter de la date d'envoi de sa réponse au propriétaire, pour signer l'acte de vente.

Further details available here