Ok, so how do you survive in France?

I think that it is logical that you will find financial and emotional support

in your country o f origin/birth.

Perhaps you would be unwise to go out of a frying pan into a fire.

Perhaps, without thinking I had always wanted to be here and had

been getting ready for many years.

There is no option....

I/we came with a plan but I had to put that plan into action.

I still note that [ meeting my visitors ] that those who find success in

the big city seem to pay a price. Money in the banks and fine homes

have their price tag.

But there are others who stay and settle with their home comforts,

presents neatly wrapped under the tree on Christmas morning, queens speech

and everything covered in tinsel and chocolate boxes.

That is the comfort of home.

Bob, I really do think you need to find a job first, before committing to the move and the house buying. We have the highest level of employment in France, here in the Pay de la Loire, yet I know many English people who are struggling to survive because their knowledge of the French language is so limited. You need fluent French to get the interview, just as you would need fluent English in England. That, I suspect, is why it seems that French people get preference, although I know many English people who are working here, albeit in far less prestigious jobs than they may have had in the UK, but all speak French and give the impression that they found the interview process to be a level playing field.

I do, however, think that if you are motivated as you say, you can do it. The very best of luck to you and I hope you will soon be "living the dream".

Yes, I found the same. Having not lived there since 1978 they found my SS number without any problem and even wrote to me when my wife died even though I hadnā€™t informed them.

Ok Dan, I understand, but the 3 yrs tax forms to rental agencies, puzzles me, Iā€™m in my 3rd rental accommodation since 2013, and not had to show any tax Returns to the 2 Agencies Iā€™ve used or the privately found place Iā€™m in now. Iā€™m retired and have been since I was 60 in UK, moved over here 6 months after that. Just said I have a pension and private ā€˜savingsā€™. However I am aware rental laws did change ? Tighten up earlier this year, so if I moved again, not sure what to expect or what Iā€™d face!

Also are we back to some the ā€˜different Department functionaries apply the law as they see fit or are aware ofā€™ questions? A comment made on discussions here many times unfortunately.

Thanks for the kind thought, but from what the Web tells us I'll just have to forget about those contributions. I'm sure they won't go to waste, ha ha.

In 2020 I will qualify for a French pension. The minimum here is called ASPA (Aide Sociale aux Personnes ƂgĆ©es), which replaces 'le minimum vieillesse'. I've been paying in since mid-1978 into four different pension-schemes. It's not about the principle, it's about the money.

I'll keep knocking on doors on both sides of the Channel.

One thing which really amazed me was in 2011 when I went to the Social Security in the UK in the hope of recovering my SS No.. They were able to tell me that the last place I'd stayed in the UK was a London hotel in February 1979.

That's how they found my Social Security number for me.

I find that a bit scary. Imagine how much easier they can track us 36 years on, considering the progress that's been made in IT.

Check it out John. I think that there is some form of "netting out" of contributions in the EU. So while your UK contributions may not get you a UK pension they could maybe count towards improving you French one?

Hi Bob, lots of good answers already and I agree with most. You need to speak French fluently to have a chance of getting a paid job and why would an employer take-on a foreigner who probably hasn't got the qualifications they want (which mean everything in France) or the language skills. Many people hold a grudge thinking it's not fair, well it's just common sense - I've taken on two people and wouldn't dream of recruting anyone other than a french person, and one with a local accent too ;-)

France, especially rural France is a very difficult place to earn a living for French people, being a foreigner just makes things far harder :-(

I think your best bet is to come over (I'm not saying don't do it but you really need to have a get-out plan) and rent in the area you have in mind (you'll find it very difficult to rent through the normal channels as you won't be able to supply any of the normal things required for your dossier, so try renting a gƮte through the winter months from another expat - this seems to be a common thing), you especially need to see France out of season. I can remember the place in the sun programmes from some 10+ years ago, I guess nothing's much changed but they give such a false idea of living in France.

The person or the agency can only ask you to show your tax forms ( avis d'imposition) if you are a freelance worker or if you run a company.

Salary-paid workers are required to produce :

- their last 3 pay-slips. The combined monthly salaries must be at least 3 times the amount of rent to be paid by the future-tenant.

- their work contract(s) to prove that they are employed.

They can also be asked to show their latest avis d'imposition to allow the owner to check that the pay-slip has not been modified, and also to see if the future-tenant has to pay child-support, etc.

Most future-tenants simply refuse to do so.

http://www.juritravail.com/Article/droit-locataire/Id/45

As you know Shirley, me too. We even had CAF come to us to ask why we were not claiming for our girls when I was very ill and making backdated payments. The system accepts those who join it, which we did when we arrived. Of course people who don't contribute do not benefit, so they should not complain as many do.

Should have said the UK no longer issues the S1 TO EARLY RETIREES ....

If you are not in employment at the moment, an idea might be to come over and explore different areas/house types you could afford (remember, renovation is VERY expensive - even if you do most of it yourself) ....I have noticed a lot of Brits buy enormous houses some of which are wrecks, with the intention of renovations, putting in a pool, letting gites, etc ....with no idea of the real costs involved .....then they suddenly find they cannot afford to pay taxes, bills, medical insurance) as you are not yet retired, you have to facture in completely private medical insurance ....some people say you can do without it, but it is a very big risk - hospital bills are not cheap ! Since the UK no longer issues the S1 medical cover certificate you would need to research carefully the cost - there are several brokers or individual companies on here you can find the fill in a pro forma questionnaire as to what cover you would need (i.e. teeth, glasses, broken bones, etc ) .....and then you need to think carefully about when you do get older .......again, you can insure against needing care in your dotage, depending on your age at the present, and, as in the UK, your assets would be taken into consideration should you require state care (currently in an EHPAD around 3,000 a month) so although the cost of housing here is cheaper than the UK, the cost of living is not ........

and of course, there is always the possibility that the UK may vote to leave the EU which may impact on all us 'foreigners'....oh and yes, if you are still here in your dotage, remember that the winter fuel allowance has gone, and probably other OAP benefits will follow .......I am waiting for the lovely Duncan Smith to cancel all reciprocal health benefits as well any day now .........mind you, if you move to Italy, Spain etc you would still at least get your wfa (for now !!)

Having live in Spain, and France now for 14 years, I would love to go to Australia, but economically they wouldn't let me in ........BUT if you don't come over and give it a go, you may regret it some day ....all the advice on here people have given about renting first and getting a feel of the French systems is an excellent idea if you are able. AVOID English ghettos like the plague .......

I like the word "brave" Barbara, but "naive" would be more accurate! :) We'd just come back from a stint in Canada so were full of [over]confidence! And after six weeks, I was done with that caravan! :) We were young (at heart) and really had nothing to lose as we came back from Canada with no jobs or money, so we weren't exactly giving up 100K a year jobs in the city or anything. :) Still, it worked out for usā€”and our positive attitude saw us through some low times. Fear of loss / failure keeps most people in soul-destroying jobs until miserable retirement. I met a man who had been "planning" to come and live in France for ten years. He finally did it. Died the following month.

Hi Shirley,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my comment. I have been a beneficiary of the French system in terms of the amazing healthcare that was afforded to my wife when she had our first childā€”and the generous child benefit we have received since.

However, I was referring to the obtuse requirement of residential lettings agencies to see three years' FRENCH tax returns before renting you a property. This appears to be at odds with the Free Movement of Citizens Directive 2004/38/EC. You can get around this, in some cases, by paying a huge deposit, equivalent to 12 - 18 months' rent, into an escrow accountā€”but I certainly stand by my original statement "the system is rigged to keep [other EU citizens] out" - perhaps that's a "glass half empty" interpretation but that's the way it seemed to us.

ā€œthe system is rigged to keep you out itā€ ?

No Dan, itā€™s not. So I canā€™t agree with you. I am a recipient of the system here, and am more than happy to defend the system.

If in genuine need of essential help, (not necessarily financial) the system is there to help you, and you will be directed to the correct people to contact, by your local Mairie if they canā€™t help you! So yes ā€œthe system does ā€œworkā€ albeit slower and differently to the UK or other ones. We are in a different country and have to live by their standards and rules, not those of the countries we left!

Just imagine how all the current migrants are going to feel in their new countries, especially when some will be told soon, which ones they may have to go to! We expats came here of our own free will and NO I would not have " walked 500 miles or moreā€ to get here! WE arrived financially Independent, I still am at present and will have been here 8 yrs next January, but wherever we live, Changing circumstances change lives.

I canā€™t/donā€™t complain at all at the help Iā€™ve Iā€™ve received, itā€™s been some help with language and practical difficulties Ive needed Very lucky last year in that I was allocated an English person employed by CAF. Iā€™m not a scrounger either, and when CAF take you on, itā€™s warts and all! In rural areas there is an Association called Familles Rurale, but donā€™t think they have specifically English speaking helpers. So - any bi-lingual expats looking to do some charitable voluntary work, may well be appreciated by the Association in whatever regions/departments you live in.

Thanks everybody for all of your frank and honest answers. Looks like I'm going to have to seriously rethink the money side of things before committing to our move to France. The whole purpose of our relocating to France was to have a more relaxed and meaningful lifestyle. By the sounds of it, we could end up being more stressed out than we are now! More thought needed, methinks!

been here 15 years now, speak fluent French and married to a Frenchman - I've always struggled to get a salaried job and am now an AE commercant and formateur des langues which helps but doesn't allow us to live. My French husband has been unemployed for 2 years now and has just been put on a reinsertion contract (so not long term employment)

Honestly, is it possible, yes but it's damn hard, we wouldn't have made it if we weren't already in the system and intitled to allocations, cmu etc

I think finding a job especially in a rural area is going to prove very difficult. With only one exception all the expats I know are self employed, either in the building industry or tourism. Tourism is fairly seasonal of course so youā€™ll need to consider if it can provide the income you need to survive out of season, unless you are lucky enough to have a year round business. If you plan to grow your own. Perhaps there is scope to grow extra to sell at market, or go a step further - keep some chickens or animals,make jams, cakes etc and open a farm shop. but you will need to research the area to decide if this is viable. If you have a crafty side there may be a opportunity to make and sell things at markets, fetes etc or perhaps there is something you could do online.

Hi all, i like the idea of renting first for a few months in the region of your dreams. Then you can get a better feel of the day to day challenges , enjoyments ,and nuts and bolts requirements to a pemanent move. We live in the Gers,

the southwest of France today the temperature will reach 25 degrees; our pool is still goiing, a bit fresh to just jump in! We used a women whose business is to help english speaking foreigners prior to and after arriving in France to learn all the beuracratic ins and outs that will come up and if your French language skills are deficient the beauracracy, taxes insurance etc can be frustrating and exhausting. Her business is called Feet In France,check out her website. There are these type services in almost every region you pick ,thank God Cheers

Liz and VĆ©ro, between you a perfect summing up. I have worked and lived in another EU country but rarely used English and whilst I had international colleagues as good as never slipped into an Anglo clique scene which is fatal as I have observed from outside. Even then, in another country where I did not really have the language, because we were not part of the Anglo-Saxon 'separatist' community (I also do not have a British other half) I actually had offers of work, but had more than enough of what I do anyway. In my OH's country I speak two of their three languages well enough and her one badly but understand, so have no need of English, so do not stand out. That is important.

Like VƩro, the gƮte people amaze me. They must be willing to starve themselves to death to survive, let alone afford to heat their homes and so on given the cost of those against their little or no income - especially by only letting to English speakers because they can't understand French types...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/help-looking-jobs-france-460285/

http://www.expat-blog.com/