PM Theresa May says there will be no attempt to remain inside EU

John, I think you may have missed my question which, even though posted I think four times, may have been swallowed up in the comments so I'm asking again separately.

You said "I think the cherry-picking is being done by those who have left their precious UK for some reason, but who still want to have 100% of the rights enjoyed by the people who actually live there."

Please can you expand on what rights those are that you're talking about? You just seemed to leave it hanging.

For anyone else reading this apart from John who might need reminding.....

These are the SFN Dinner Party house rules. We don't moderate but we do require a certain standard of behaviour when posting.

If you don't like that you are perfectly free to go and be rude elsewhere. There are plenty of forums where such snarky comments are tolerated. SFN is not one.

1 Like

Exactly, Catharine! How much more spelling-out is actually necessary? I'll stop posting on this thread because I'm sure you will all have had more than enough of my opinions.

nb I am NOT flouncing off, there just comes a point when one reaches saturation and banging one's head against a brick wall is a waste of time.

Give my regards to George Orwell

2008 + 15 = 2016?

If this is a dinner party can I order the steak?

1 Like

John, the problem is not the maths. The problem is "if that's within your capabilities" which is rude. You seem deliberately to be avoiding the point. Same as you are with my question apparently which has now been ignored for the fifth time. If you want to retract the cherry picking statement feel free or are simply unable to answer it, fine - I just simply didn't understand it.

On the same page they deal with EEC countries, apparently separately from 'pays européens'

Otherwise, what about ASPA (formerly 'minimum vieillesse') ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_security_in_France

Solidarity allowance for the elderly (ASPA)

Main article: Allocation de Solidarité aux Personnes Agées

The Allocation de Solidarité aux Personnes Agées (solidarity allowance for the elderly) (ASPA) is a French state pension for elderly people, whether former employees or not, on low incomes. It replaced the multiple components of the minimum pension (Minimum Vieillesse) from 1 January 2006. To qualify for ASPA, the recipient must live in France or French territory, and meet age and financial need criteria.

I thought you were referring to my suggestion that the Brexit effects (considered by some as negative) would last no longer than the negative effects of the 2008 devaluation of the Pound.

Apparently I was mistaken, as no-one could reasonably assert that 2008+15 = 2016

Otherwise that would mean that the 2008 devaluation is still causing damage, and consequently Brexit cannot be blamed for 100% of people's regrettable problems. THAT would be cherry-picking.

The cherry picking I'm referring to is your assertion that "the cherry-picking is being done by those who have left their precious UK for some reason, but who still want to have 100% of the rights enjoyed by the people who actually live there".

Please can you simply expand upon which rights you are talking about. Thank you.

" ... the rights enjoyed by the people who actually live there"

The rights are numerous

That fails to answer the question. I'll try to simplify it.

• You say we are trying to cherry pick rights we'd have if we lived in the UK.
  • I want to know what rights those are that I don't have right now that I would want to cherry pick.

So as you don't simply revert to a vague "enjoyed by the people actually in the UK" I'll set out your paragraph again so you can see it in context:

Andrew: I think the british people have been sold down the river thinking they can cherry pick what they want from Europe and leave the rest.

You: I think the cherry-picking is being done by those who have left their precious UK for some reason, but who still want to have 100% of the rights enjoyed by the people who actually live there.

So please tell me what rights I would cherry pick that I don't have here in France.

Perhaps I phrased it badly (but I can't be bothered to scroll back to check), ...I didn't mean that it would take 15 years to get better, but that we will be in a better position to judge.....things will have settled down, trading agreements sorted and up & running etc. and other events will have moved on in the EU....doesn't sound too good according to this.....

https://www.stratfor.com/forecast/decade-forecast-2015-2025

Will they have 'Federated' themselves, will Greece, Spain, Italy & the Netherlands (to name a few), still be part of the project or going for their own referendums ? How will their economies be doing and that of the Euro ?

They have (as you will no doubt be aware)made significant changes quite recently (Jan 2016), which state that anyone who can prove 3 months continuous residency and sufficient income to have access to the basic (generous) level of healthcare. I think it unlikely that this will be repealed for anyone already in receipt of this, for reasons already stated, regarding the need/desire for reciprocal arrangements...for EU expats in the UK.

I have broad shoulders and a thick skin and I'm pleased to be of help on the sense of humour front.

the right to vote in a general election?

free prescriptions (Scotland.

the right to vote in the referendum which led to the Brexit victory?

the right to the equivalent of excellent NHS medical care?

At the same time, and depending on each personal's individual situation, we are entitled to claim certain benefits such as the RSA, ASPA, etc

No, that makes perfect sense Hilary, about time needing to pass before we can assess anything properly. I'm hoping the arrangements they make for existing residents will be seamless and won't involve having to obtain long stay visas, work permits and the like, each at a cost. I'm already up to my neck in paperwork. I really don't want any more.

I think that some of our answers don't appear beneath the question

So for me "100% of the rights" actually, in truth, amounts to 1 (one) - the right to vote in a general election. I was able to vote in the referendum, I've had no problem with French medical care to which I'm entitled. As for free prescriptions in Scotland?

As for the rest of that paragraph, yes, despite not living there the UK remains precious to me but, no, I don't want to cherry pick a thing.

Don't you qualify for l'APL?

You can carry out a simulation on their site. No paperwork, no having to go there.

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/R2972

So my statement about the rights was precise.

There are some Scots on SFN, incidentally. The UK isn't confined to England. I believe that Northern Ireland offers special conditions to 'mainlanders' retiring to NI.

Apparently it is not yet your case, but expats who have not been in the UK lose their voting rights.

Logically if you're forced to return to your country of origin you'll have the joy of still being able to vote there. It's good to find something positive.

Don't be sarcastic to me about geography, John. As I said in the opening line of my response "for me", ie personally, pour moi, as it relates to me. I'm now feeling I have to repeat things to get one point across.

So, again, the list of rights that I'd want to cherry pick from the UK consists of 1 (or perhaps somewhere down the line 2). Doesn't really warrant your response to Andrew. Perhaps it was simply a knee jerk reaction to his pointing out that some in the UK appear to think they'll be able to pick and choose the good bits during exit negotiations.