Somebody does not like me

the guy sounds like a nutter. the spitting bit leaves me a little perplexed ... is his behaviour escalating or is he just an incredibly uncouth man?

from my own experience, there are a small number of people in my village who just don't like me ... perhaps the most important lesson that i have learnt in the 10 years since I arrived in France is that if someone has formed an opinion of me without knowing who I am, or treats me with rudeness when they address me, I ignore them. I also live by a road and if I see them coming, I just look away ...

if you want to confront it, I would do as many have suggested and film/photograph the next incident and having seen you do this, i would wait until he next passes by and see what happens and then decide what steps to take next ...

do let us know what happens ... best of luck ...

Ken & Rosie. Surely the point is that Bill simply said HE doesn't speak French. He didn't say the other guy spoke French. How could he know, he doesn't speak French. The other guy could have been speaking Polish, Greek or friggin' Hindustani & Bill probably still wouldn't have understood. I've been here about 12 years & doubt that I would understand what some French idiot in a car shouted at me so give him a break will you. He's not been here for long & is probably doing what most of us did when we arrived which is bloody well struggle for ages until we finally got to grips with this strange language. Some people are also more reluctant than others to confront people in a strange land so that coupled with the lack of a common language must be disconcerting to say the least. I'd probably grab the guy & threaten to punch his lights out & I dare say so would others but we're not all made like that so Bill deserves some real help, not digs about his lack of French.

Learning French might not help that much as the offender is probably using language your teacher would frown at and probably decline to teach you!

You can either lodge a formal complaint "une plainte", or a just bring the matter to the gendarme's attention "une main courante". If you want to give them the license plate, time, car make and show them the gesture, they will probably make inquiries, however, this may not be to your advantage as the man is probably living close by and wouldn't hesitate to retaliate. If you live in a small place, you'll probably be able to find out if the man is simply barmy (wave at him and smile next time he drives by) or dangerous (ask the gendarmes if they are going to arrest him, and put a restraining order on him).

I'd say waving cheerily and smiling widely could do the trick, if not, a trip to the police station will be necessary.

Good luck!!

I As i said i don`t speak French. ( i am taking lesson`s) Nor do i insult people ,or spit at them.

Nah! not sharp, just actually reading what you write.

Sorry to head that Paul...he of course could just be one crazy person, who might be hallucinating and think that you are someone else, however, that doe not make the situation any easier as it's the whole thing is not nice!If you translated from English to French what you wanted to say in simple words, (or someone could maybe help you) and either file this in words or if you have iPad the 'photograph' the translated and take this to the local police to show them - and then hopefully along with details of the 'mad' person's number plates/car make/colour, hopefully you might be able to get some kind of solution from this not very nice situation! Good luck, and I think quite a few of us would like to know how it all turns out! PS! If you had an iPad, I know it would be a bit of a pain, but if you had it ready (maybe there's a pattern to when he drives by) ie on photo/video, you could film him in the process! ...again good luck... :)

Why would Brits living in the UK say "why don't you effing British learn to speak French if you live here?". ?

Well Bill, firstly start to learn French. If this nasty person continues to insult you, as he obviously did - have a camera ready - take a photo of the car with the registration plate showing, and go to the Gendarmerie, and report all that has happened. Even in France it is against the law to insult people in this manner without due cause.

one finger.

he know you're an ex-pat?

So it's nothing like "Attention Monsieur, votes braguette est ouverte"? Or even " A bas les capitalistes, solidarite!" IF not, then it sounds like cranky git syndrome, possibly fuelled up by high octane fruit bottling alcohol. The only reason to get anxiousnis if it looks like this person's opinion has any traction in the area. The French can far more insular (which quickly turns to racism) than most anglophones and it might simply be that he has found out you are foreign. I have heard of artisans and contractors who will not work for the English in Charentes Maritime, which is a bugger for getting your house fixed up. It is well worth nipping this in the bud. If a law has been contravened, then the gendarmes are obliged to act, yet with what enthusiasm you will only know when you come to it. The local mayor might be a good stop off point for informal action, as French offical channels can be cumbersome. He will possibly be able to have a discreet word. Or, if you feel like it, hang around the market place and see if he turns up, maybe you can make friends. He will find it impossible to "other" you then. Whichever way, it is about getting further into the community where you live.

I am sorry this is happening to you. I think the camera advice and then the gendarmes is the best advice hat I could give.

You really need to get to the bottom of this harassment.

Your not nosy,your inquisitive.( I will)

I think having a camera ready is a good deterrent so the next time you could very obviously take a photo/film of this person and try to catch their number plate. What is this person's beef? Mistaken identity, or he had a grudge with the previous owner of the house, or perhaps he's made application for something and it's been rejected due to your house being located where it is. Who knows. But I'd definitely have a camera ready. Even if you don't manage to get a photo it will be a deterrent. But try to get the number plate .... it's worth knowing the identity of someone who has a grudge ... just in case!

Good advice,Camera already set up,i also carry one.

Thankyou.

Bill

Hi,

I understand how unconfortable it can be not to know why this person simply "doesn't like you". Especially because you don't understand what he's shouting. But nothing says that you would be further ahead if you were able to understand what he says !

If you stole nobody's wife or land, then the reason might be : because you're a foreigner (?). As simple as that. Maybe a foreigner "stole" this person's job, wife, land,... Who knows ? And he is mad. Or maybe, simply because. But he is also a coward, as he stays in his car and shouts from a distance, perfectly knowing that you don't understand. That's bullying. And bullies are cowards.

Anyway, you should try and take pictures (videos would be even better) of him and his car (that only can stop him). Get the plate number and report it to the Gendarmerie, saying you're concerned and frightened (even if you are not). If they are understanding, they will summon him for a warning. If not, they will tell you there is nothing they can do unless you received death threats.

That's why I think you should place a video camera (with a mic) where it usually takes place and wait. And when you have enough elements in hand, you take action.

Good luck !

Are you sure he is shouting in French and not Gaelic ;)

Seriously you should take his license plate number and talk to the gendarmerie as Rob suggested.

If you see him again perhaps you could take his license plate details? Report him to the local police who may be able to have a word with him for you. If you don't feel confident enough in French perhaps a French friend could help you? Good luck!

Maybe stop calling to see his wife every day whilst he's at work might help!