The Golden Age or not?

Takes two to tango, although tangoing with a tree is almost as silly as arguing with one ! Come to think of it though I did once argue with a tree when the clumsy thing trod on me foot. Could have been a mushrooms fault mind you ;-)

He talks to trees too. I bet you can't talk to a tree without arguing with it !

The Clitheroe Kid was also a feature of sunday lunchtime. Later on of course the amazing I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue started. I've always found it side-splitting tho' a bit dangerous when driving ! Just a minute was brill too especially with Kenneth Williams.

Umpah dumpah Dido ! I used to listen to them on a crystal set under the bed covers. :-)

Apparently they were also Prince Charlies favourite which doesn't say much for my taste in humour!

It will be an age thing of course. For those of you on here old enough will no doubt have enjoyed The Goons. I was too young to really understand what was happening and so probably don't appreciate the comic genious of Sellars, Secombe, Milligan & Bentine.

Blast Julian, I forgot Yes Minister/Prime Minister - a really classic comedy, well written and superbly acted by a top cast. The scriptwriting was brilliant, wasn't it Mrs Thatchers' favourite programme ?

These progs would have to sneak into my top three !

Maybe it is an 'age' thing Veronica. I find very few of todays comedy series particularly funny so maybe it's a question of the era you are in a bit like the music scene.

Many french are very much into slapstick and the visual aspect wheras it seems to me the british seem to prefer the more verbal side of comedy, just guessing.

Rising Damp for me was the comic genious of Leonard Rossiter with great support from the others. I thought it was brilliantly written. The situation seemed typical of many dingy landlords in that kind of bedsit.

I think comedy is very much linked to Zeitgeist - if you find comedy of action funny eg slapstick then you probably always will, and any comedy of any time using that as a mechanism to get laughs will work. A lot of verbal comedy though relies on context so is likely to date. I'm afraid I don't know the radio series you mentioned except as comic references and although I did find bits of Dad's army & Fawlty Towers funny albeit pretty try-hard (we were allowed to watch them at school) I never found Rising Damp remotely amusing - so maybe it is a question of the age you are when you see them.

My mother always used to tell me nightclubs had got very dull when what she actually meant was she wasn't 20 or 25 any more.

If your 'humorous' digs at me are an example I'm not surprised your comedy script was not well received :-)

Only joking Gimpy & certainly not arguing with your choices ;-)