TKR and how to survive hospital food

Assuming your goalkeeper is present I will put you down for only a 6 - 0 loss !

No not alone Ray, being looked after by a lovely lady who certainly 'eases' the pain !

You're living in the past my man,no jabs nowadays - instead small tablets to be taken daily (have just taken it). No stockings prescribed

First physio session tomorrow. Meanwhile short burst of activity , ice-packs& legs up etc

Can creams help ? the leg is quite dry. Would a pain relieving cream be advisable ? Would Arnica help with the swelling etc etc ?

Stop being such a wuss, it's only pain!

Essential to continue with physio, I thought that you were going from hospital to re-education direct. Home alone is bad; you didn't mention anti-coagulant injections or support stockings, have they given up on those?

You forgot to mention the first football game of the season this afternoon ;-)

Well, I survived the hospital food ! In fact the verdict is an impressive 8/10 from the Limousin judge.

I managed to escape I mean, was discharged mid-morning yesterday after passing the basic tests ie. walk correctly with crutches and safely negotiate steps both up and down . It has been an eventful and interesting 5/6 day stay at the Clinique Chénieux in Limoges with the undoubted highlights being :

Being awake and unable to watch tho' able to hear the operation taking place with all the sound effects like saws, drills, routers, hammers & staple guns etc

The main blood drain/ transfuser being taken out on the third morning to be replaced by a more 'portable' version for a further 24 hours. Being linked up to a mini-transfusion unit along with 3M of tubing is awkward and restricting, not bed-bound exactly having to rely on others to help with all your basic needs. I mean, wo wants to be washed down by a year old nymphatic Care Assistant for example ?

Starting to walk from the third morning after spending the second day dangling your legs over a bed at 90° and turning a kind of puce red colour attempting the prescribed exercises including a kind of triple Salchow from your bed to the chair

Total independance on the 4th day - no stopping you eh ? WRONG ! With the luxury of the morphine well behind you the urge to stay in bed is rudely awakened by a river of activity. From early doors with the aural temperature check, ice-pack change, further nursing call, brekkie, total drain removal (ouch !), neww dressing, blood tests, doctor visit, physio torture, X Rays, bed-change, room clean then lunch................ooh, shattered !

Leaving your home for the past few days to return home to a heroes welcome complete with brass band & ticker tape....NOT !!! Returned home to a gas bill, cat demanding some urgent tlc, empty fridge and something resembling a tropical rain forest around the house which seems to have grown despite it not having rained all week !!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes, and my left knee is f..lipping agony !!!

I was at Bradford Uni '64-67 the guy that ran ents was from London, we got to see bands before they were famous: Pretty Things, Van Morrison, etc. The Stones were too expensive, £2000 ish but we did get Duke Ellington for a concert (I tried to sell Humphrey Littleton a programme!

Bit off message now, I think!

I liked both bands bizarrely without any regard to appearences etc I just loved (and still do) the musique. I've been sitting on the fence ever since...

'60s without doubt for me. I even did NOT go to see the Beatles about 3 or 4 minutes from home because I was already a Stones fan!

Ah yes, nostalgia ain't what it used to be....

We must all live in the past at times surely ?

The '70s were great for me and I would give anything to be able to 'do' them again - the best I can do is to try to recreate them in the 2010s ...

I do love it when I meet older professionals like the anaesthetist, questioned on when I had a general, I said ages ago, 1973: he said "but that was only yesterday". Do we live in the past? Am I still a teenager at heart? My long term memory is certainly better than the short term and, by the way, I never liked "Mangy Bendy Toy", more Led Zep, ZZ Top, me!

We could all start a group: Codgers Revived ;-)

Lost mine after 36 years 10 years ago. Remarried in May and getting fit to better enjoy life. Please send friend request again and I'll use computer to answer not tablet (finger trouble)

Good on you boys! I am on number 4! Remained good friends with the other three since, no nasty separations. Only sad was that number 2 who remained a close friend and one of this family who visited whenever possible died last year and she is still mourned. She had a plan of moving to be near here to help look after our girls when I was really ill, then she popped off first. Nothing like revitalising old bones as a much younger boss wife!

I had the same problem David, I lost my lady after 33 great years together and decided to get off my backside and start re enjoying life - 20 months on and it's been brill so far !

Absolutely no problem Peter- I'm a glass half full man!My second wife's death was an absolute "bummer" at the time but she told me and wrote to me in no uncertain terms to get on with new life and not to mope so that is what happened. I still have such happy memories of her and the way she and I fought what was happening to her. Hope that your own recovery is speedy! You sound full of spirit which is much of the battle.

Sorry David didn't mean to offend !

I ran out of money with the first one and out of luck with the second (she became ill a few months after our marriage and unfortunately died soon after but it was a wonderful marriage) but it's still all systems go with No 3. I'm convinced it's nowt to do with PM. Still out of money though!

"I have been a massive fan since the early 80's"

Don't worry, i'm sure they'll find a cure for it one day.........................

Actually, that song wasn't written by Barry (it was written by Scott English & Richard Kerr) but he did, of course, have a number 1 hit with it in 1974.

I have been a massive fan since the early 80's and am outraged that Brian should think Manilow songs are a threat. Going to have to go and have a lie down now & put a soothing Barry CD on.

By the way, he's still going strong and has recently had an album out and is planning a new one.

I imagine absolutely nobody is interested in any of this!!

Do you think there may be a link with being married several times and each one of them visiting Portmeirion ?

Maybe they were trying to tell you something David ?

Just a thought...