Vehicule Depannage

We are also members of the German ADAC since almost 20 years and I cannot praise them enough!
For € 33 extra you get an International Travel Insurance as well. My husband got sick in China and had to be hospitalized. They provided us with an English speaking doctor and reimbursed every cent of all our costs.
www.adac.de (unfortunately in German only)
I am a native German speaker and can gladly help you!

What a great idea - I'm sure most people have no idea that is even possible James. I shall look into that as well.

On 23 December last year, I was in the UK collecting things and people to spend Christmas with us here in France - when my car broke down on the M4. The very long story ended with my breakdown insurance sending someone out to tow me - and (as is normal over there) he towed me to a private address where I was already expected.

I called the insurance again to ask what would happen next - given that somehow I needed to get home and had no car, and it was virtually Christmas...
They refused all further help - despite my claim not going anywhere near their limit - because they had never heard of a car being towed to a private address and as I had allowed all rules to be broken, I was on my own.

After weighing everything up, I didtched the car there (and received £150 for it in scrap value!!) and bought another there to drive everything and everyone home in.

I had a call a few days later inviting me to comment on my satisfaction of the matter - it was a very short call!

Brilliant - thank you!!

Here is the link to their english site.

http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/

Paperwork is generally in German, but their callcentre is in Lyon (where I used to work, and how I found out about them), so they also speak English and French on the phone.

You can sign up by e-mail. They even have a dedicated staff member for English customers: Amanda.Moser-Wickles@sby.adac.de

Hi James

We have had absolutely terrible experiences with French breakdown cover - including being left up a mountain with a small child - they simply shrugged their shoulders and said " we can send someone tomorrow" so bring it on! Can you please point me at a link to the appropriate part of the site as my German is not very good :)

Thanks!

I used to work in a call centre that dealt with these cases on a daily basis.

French insurance companies have their own network of breakdown garages, and may indeed refuse to re-imburse you if you choose to use a garage not on that list.

For roadside breakdowns - always call your "Assistance" number directly. They will then send out their nearest approved mechanic.

On the motorway, you do not have a choice, as only garages approved by the motorway operating company can attend. You must call the police control room on 17 or (preferably) use the motorway emergency phone. In this case, your insurance company should cover you regardless (up to a certain amount).

I don't use the breakdown cover provided with my vehicle insurance. Instead, I am a member of the German equivalent of the AA (ADAC) who cover you across Europe, in any vehicle you own or are the driver of, and all for 80€ per year. Have used them 3 or 4 times, and I can say it is 80€ well spent.