What are your choices for ‘Best Ten Albums of All Time’?

thanks Ann, some great choices. Especially for me would be Barbara. Is that really you madame Deane?

1 Like

Hi Tim,
I’m with Chris on this one - for me it would be Wish You Were Here rather than Dark Side of the Moon, but I note and accept this is a minority view :slight_smile: and there are no rights or wrongs. It’s also not a majority thing, every person is an absolute dictator with absolute power when it comes to their own preferences (so clearly I respect yours also :slight_smile: ).

Also have to accept that whilst Tubular Bells changed music and is by any definition a landmark album in musical history, personally, I would go with Ommadawn or the live extracts of Incantations from Exposed as my preferred music (almost certainly in a minority of 1 on that).

Tubular Bells is definitely Richard Branson’s top album of all time

Van Halen, Van Halen
Montrose, Montrose
Robin Thrower, Bridge of sighs
Heavy Metal Kids, Kitch
Golden Earring, Moontan
Boston, Boston
Judas priest, British Steel
Uriah Heep live
Humble Pie, rocking the Fillmore.
ZZ Top Tres Hombre’s
Bad Company, Bad Company
UFO live
Status Quo, Piledriver
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Damn the Torpedoes
Fleetwood Mac, Rumours
Night wish, showtime storytime
AC/DC Highway to Hell
Deep Purple In Rock
Zeppelin four
Alex Harvey Band, Next
Thin Lizzy, Live and Dangerous
Metallica Metallica
Budgie, Never Turn Your Back On A Friend
Budgie, Bandolier
Rory Gallagher, Irish Tour
Cheap Trick, in colour
Aerosmith, Rocks
Try and pick ten out of that lot, I certainly can’t.

Major Lance UMm…Umm would appear in my top top ten
one from…George Michael
One from Dusty Springfield.
Simply red in South America
something from Freddy Mercury when he was mellow…
Esperanto.

Spooky Tooth Spook Two.
Led Zepellin with Stairway to Heaven
John Mayal with The Supernatural and Marshas mood
with Peter Green.
The best of Tamla Mowtown.

On a clapped out coach from Thessaloniki to the port of Kavala, the driver suddenly put on a tape of Wish You Were Here. It had only just come out so a bit of a surprise. Something you never forget!

Based on a True Story -Fat Freddy’s Drop
Frampton Comes Alive - Frampton
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road -Elton John
Glenn Miller 1945 Album -Glenn Miller
Meteora- Linkin Park
The Eninem Show- Eninem
Rumours -Fleetwood Mac
Dark Side -Floyd
Trick of the Tail -Genesis
Songs of Leonard Cohen - Cohen

I’m lying in my hospital bed at the moment listening to all my stored music, trying to come up with my best Floyd album, rating them as how they make my hairs stand up (try it with headphones on :blush:) and so far A momentary lapse of reason, Division Bell and Wish you were here get about the same rating as Dark side. Brain damage or what…

Sorry to hear about how you have time for music - hope all goes well.
I was also thinking this through last night as I had a few bars keep popping into my head (as opposed to keep popping my head into a few bars )
Without wishing to ‘put out the fire with gasoline’ the bars were coming from Animals which is surely an underrated album (very much ahead of its time as a social commentary), maybe undeservedly eclipsed by the other three or at least Division Bell.
Should Animals at least take the bronze from Division Bell?
Happy Listening and Get Well Soon.

My car has a random choice when an iPod/Pad/Phone is connected. I use it on long journeys and it’s great to hear many of the tracks that I’d forgotten that I owned. Choosing a top ten for the albums would be hard, Finding three of four that would always be in my top 10is easier and, interestingly, two or three of those four appear frequently on the lists posted.

Hi David,
we found that when we created playlists we were always coming up with the same stuff so we invented our own music quiz.
Cover the screen of the iPod, hit ‘shuffle songs’, listen and guess the artist. First to ten by two clear points wins.
OK so we might be weird having competitive quiz from chilling listening to music but there you go, like you it’s opening us up to all the other tracks on the albums.

Hi @RayR Ray… you have reminded me of my younger days…my brother got an old radio working… we would all share the radio listening to Radio Luxembourg…and our game was to identify the songs by the first few notes… :grin:

The best trick was to have the radio loud enough so we kids could hear it… yet soft enough so that Dad (downstairs) couldn’t hear it…:wink::wink::wink:

Thanks, just a back operation, should be home in a few days. I know what you mean about Animals, but for some reason it is "no longer available " on this tablet so I can’t listen to it. For me, unfortunately, it was the start of Rogers “dominance” and maybe it got a bit too political.
I was on the train going to uni in London when the pig was flying, brilliant but seems such a long time ago…

Hello David
I was gifted the collection of Barbara and among the many great songs this is one of my favourites L’Aigle noir… here it is with the words…

How on earth do you choose 10 albums from since the beginning of time? Phew. I will try to think of something :sunglasses:

Hello David
You cannot is the answer ! The albums I have put on here are my current favourites, but they do change as there is so much good music out there, above all (to me) between 1972 - 1974 when it was so difficult to choose albums. I also love UFO, Deep Purple, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake and too many others to list here.
When going on long car journeys I don’t download albums but do download songs so that I have a real mix and as Ray Rampton has done we also have ‘guessing games’. It’s surprising how many tracks you know but cannot think straight away who the group is.
I am lucky in that my French partner has a large music studio with variou musical instuments, he plays guitar, we have a French friend, he has a wonderful voice, and I play (badly) the drums. So as well as listening to great music we try to recreate it too. So much pleasure to be shared, especially when we have improvised musical evenings with friends.
I can do without tv but can’t live without music or books ! :slight_smile:

I think , Ray, I was just commenting on the “Top 100 best sellers” comment - I would stand corrected, but I think ‘Dark Side’ has been in the Top 100 albums sellers , for almost all the 44 years it’s been out !

Glad to see one of my band’s in someone’s list !

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

Ramones - Ramones

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

The Beatles - Revolver

Lightning Bolt - Hypermagic Mountain

Morrissey - Viva Hate

Stereolab - Mars Audiac Quintet

Neil Young - American Stars And Bars

The Cramps - Songs The Lord Taught Us

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues

Impossible really, I already changed it as I was typing it :slight_smile: