Where are you going on holiday?

It is strange. Bookings are generally down but the gites in the next hamlet are extending their season that began in April because they have solid bookings until mid-October. Not one day no visitors at all. The next village has a gite and bed and breakfast near each other who are both thinking of throwing in the towel after this summer.

I went shopping on Saturday and found the supermarket car park overflowing with campers. The nearby site was full and there were virtually battles for space going on among the people waiting. The big, usually very busy and popular site in the next village has done badly and our local bakery opposite say they have lowered summer bread batches because the campers are not the number they were in the past.

It seemed a bit of a mixed bag but public concerts, brocantes and other events have all reported low numbers. This is normally a very popular bit of the Dordogne with all the châteaux, places like Lascaux, vineyards, etc to visit and will be interesting to see how they have done.

We are going to Ticino for 10 days this Friday, but it is a busy family visit rather than relaxing holiday. We will need a rest when we get back.

Everyone seems very surprised when I say no we're not going anywhere (albeit for the girls and I it is a holiday as we're in the UK not at home in France) but my other half is not taking time off.

Apparently the World Cup didn't help and many waited until after the blues were eliminated before booking their hols. Also more last minute bookings as people are looking for bargains on the web.

What is a holiday? I can't remember...

Joking aside, we have noticed down here in Les Landes that things are much, much quieter than usual and I think it is the economic situation.