2013 budget includes the destruction of the auto-entrepreneur scheme

Hi Finn,

apologies for the misreading of your name - and also often mispelling it!

Yes, you are quite right about it being the CIA World Factbook, and it was almost my bible when I was in full working mode. For me getting contracts led me into places I would never have even considered as places to even visit, and I am forever grateful this happened.

Sorry I don't agree with the 'classic rant' bit, as it IS annoying even as an expat myself to hear whingeing about a place because it is 'not like home'. It is not factual or reasoned rationales that irritate, but simply that - 'it was better at home' or 'why did I ever leave?' etc. Plus and we can forget that these sorts of reactions and comments can and often do overflow into the population and reflect back on all of us trying to fit in.

No nation likes to be criticised by foreigners, it's in our genes. I agree that comments on good and bad things in a country are OK, but within bounds,and surprisingly to me, politics seems to be an area where open discussion can take place as often countries like to get an expat view. This was particularly evident in eastern Europe and Asia. BUT caution and reasoned points of view were the order of the day.

It surely must follow that if one is that unhappy in a place the invitation to leave is, in my view, quite reasonable and to be expected? No-one wants unhappy people living as guests in the place. It's like someone coming into your home and doing the same thing. "I think your house is crap" is hardly designed to make one welcome, and this is often the impression some so-called criticisms convey.

In Australia, the invitation to 'leave if you don't like it' was usually couched in more forcible language - often related to sex and travel, as Woody Allen once put it.

You choose to live in another country, then LIVE in that country, abide by the rules of courtesy, surely we can all relate to that? Isn't this why we get upset about Islamists wanting to change everything in their host countries?

I still maintain that we expats. are guests in a country and should show respect and restraint in what we say. However I recognise that this is probably an old-fashioned attitude from an old fart of 73.

Hi Finn, Brian,

I was researching some stuff for a book and I found a fascinating bit of info on the CFGT union. Apparently it's roots are Anarchist, and its philosophy seemingly remains the same.

As I understand it Anarchy was the complete opposite of organised society, wasn't it? This seems odd as they seem to be organised enough to destroy the country.

Still the other option was bombs aimed at members of the ruling classes wasn't it?

Now there's a thought to conjure with?

I glanced at an article in Le Monde today which confirmed the same as Capital.

The difficulty is that it won't be "a few percent", but the same percentage as other self-employed, which is double the rate. I didn't see if we would be able to deduct our expenses, which was the original reason the AE charges were (relatively) low.

Thanks Finn. My English ain't what it should be! :-)

Not good news for me either as I have not long ago registered as ae and know that my business will take some time to get going. I was told that Sarkozy was planning to implement these taxes anyway but I don't know if this was so.

Another article on this:

http://lexpansion.lexpress.fr/economie/hausse-des-cotisations-les-auto-entrepreneurs-crient-a-l-assassinat_342085.html

Seems the UAE doesn't share the opinion of the FEDAE, I wonder why?

Fascinating. Think part of this budget is beginning to look like a smoking gun pointing at Hollande's foot!

Thanks Finn. Excellent information. I assume I can do both, ie work for somebody and also do private work?

Thanks Andrew for the info on the SMIC - sounds good.
With regard to the Carte Vitale, still waiting for the one via S1 so I may start with RSI to get one that will commence after it ends in Jan 2013.! :-)

Dave, the smic is an hourly wage so they'll pay you depending on the number of hours you work ;-)

Don't hold your breath for too long waiting for the carte vitale - it can take a year or so, just depends.

Not good news as I have just registered. A by-product of registering was to enable me to apply for a Carte Vitale when my S1 form runs out. The cost of private health insurance for my wife and I may be too much to bear as the extra money I was earning would help a little as we were self-employed in the UK and od not have pensions per se. Anybody any great ideas for me please?
If I work for a company, do they have to pay me SMIC or can it be less if I am part time?
Thank you in advance for your knowledge.

The feeling I got this morning is that people feel so overburdened by taxes, especially those who have to buy in materials that are becoming increasingly expensive, and watching take home income going down already. This is another hand in their pocket. Doing social research I can't really comment because I do not have that problem. But another 5% or whatever and how happy will people be?

I think we won't be deprived of our status, we are just being threatened so that when they "only" increase our charges by, say, 5%, we will jump up and down and thank the government for saving us.

Simply scrapping the AEntrepreneurship would mean too many unemployed without compensation, and there are plenty of those already. This issue isn't over-advertised, but it could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I chatted to the taxi driver I told yesterday outside school this morning, a printer who is a 'one-woman band' who was advised to go AE a couple of years ago has just said she is going to contact every AE she knows in this area, print innfo for them to give to others, if necessary 'sacrifice' a few t-shirts. Her info sheets will include details of how to sign the petition and so on. She is hopping mad. Because she earns well under 30k and was therefore advised to become and AE, she feels people like her are owed a real explanation for this policy and not simply the excuses about France being broke, which every other country also is, and nothing really being better by 2017 and the next election. Her partner will be giving up his PS membership as well. I think people are cross and the demos yesterday, as she pointed out, are the beginning of what the present government has started by betraying the electorate. The man who was yesterday saying he did not know and would not sign the petition, has since caught up and already signed.

I agree with Norman to not get into panic mode, but watch carefully what’s going on in the next few months. In the meantime, apart from signing the petition, there are a few more things we could all do to support the FEDAE, and to spread the word, see attached link http://www.federation-auto-entrepreneur.fr/auto-entrepreneur/actual…

Gotcha Norm and agree wholeheartedly.

There are many excellent and constructive ideas being presented or mooted here, but I think we should all be careful about throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Three things strike me above all

1) Hollande hasn't got a clue, and has never come to grips with a thing called 'Cause & Effect' - so he needs to be told. Petitions are one thing, direct letters to the Elysee Palace are another, so we should educate the man a bit? He is weak and he is a politician (of sorts), so should be pliable. THis move will not only affect AE's but all French AE's, artisans and small businesses, at a guess over a million people? No politician can risk alienating all these surely? Yes, I do recognise the counterpoint of the trade unions, but he seems to be losing them anyway.

2) Selling up and leaving, going to new places or going 'home' are superficially attractive options, but need very, very serious consideration. The world is in a mess, with very few countries still doing OK. America seems to be nudging slowly in the recovery direction and that should help. I really think that anyone seriously contemplating going back to the UK should take a careful look at those in charge there - read the letters columns in the semi-serious press to get an idea.

3) Unless you have good friends or at least a Mentor in countries where you do not know the language, you are setting yourself up for unbelievable hassles at least. My moves were always smoothed by the Contracts I had, and even those weren't perfect (e.g. a Contract in the Middle East is not a Contract in English eyes, merely a Statement of Intent!), so as Fin and anothers have said, don't think elsewhere is perfect. Plus in these hard times foreigners are often seen as taking jobs away from local people, true or false doesn't matter - perceptions count against you. NB This can apply even in good times.

My feeling is hunker down for a while and see what develops over the next few months - worldwide, and don't do anything in a panic mode. This shouldn't stop you using the interim time to check out the alternatives seriously and do some research. The French are not renowned to sitting back and being screwed by Governments, and when this bites, I am sure they will bite back, literally.

Norm

Hi Finn,

I can speak from quite lengthy experience about Eastern Europe as I spent (in the stints) five years in Hungary, and three in the Baltic States and Ukraine.

Firstly they are all different, with some having political problems as in Hungary with still quite a strong Communist element in the Parliament, however an expat. living in Hungary would have few problems and there is a lively expat community - see http.//xpatloop.com run by a friend of mine Stephen Linfitt. Plus, and this to me has been the fascination as I went there first 1992 just after the changeover to a democratic state, and the last to see the vibrant country it has now become.

The Hungarians recognise (as do the Baltic States) that their languages are not worldwide, and as such concentrate on English in business, and this is rarely a problem in that arena. At street level it is different, but a few courtesies in all languages takes you a long way as does a smile. However property prices are rapidly catching up.

Other advantages are proximity to Austria, Serbia, Roumania, Italy and Croatia particularly if you live close to the popular Lake Balaton. Here a knowledge of German is also a major advantage as it is massively popular with German and Austrian tourists.

Roumania is a beautiful country, but again with developmental problems, but as you say Fin, a lot of opportunities. Croatia is superb, but again prices on property are shifting fast (upwards) and English is not a prime language here (German, again, and Italian).

Estonia stands out, particularly if as your name suggests you are Finnish? This place is cracking on like nobody's business and English is prime usage. BUT almost six months of very deep Winter can be a bit trying, although the country is setup to handle it. Latvia is bigger (4 million as opposed to 1.5 million in Estonia). As with all countries City prices like Riga and Tallinn can be pricey, but that would need checking out now as I am a bit dated on that score. English in Latvia lags a little behind that of Estonia, but not by much.

Lithuania is more oriented to Poland and adjacent to it. Last time I looked property prices were very low, and Vilnius is a very pleasant city. English language again not so prevalent, with the younger people using it mostly.

When I was there medical cover was high quality but you had to pay cash in hand to get it, that may have changed now but I doubt it.

Ukraine and Russia are difficult countries in which to work, but the people are amongst the nicest in the region, which may seem odd considering their former and existing problems.

I would suggest that looking at the CIA World Review is a good start to see where are good places to shift to (yes it is THAT CIA!), as it is a comprehensive review of economics and political situations. I found this enormously helpful when I was taking up contracts in these places.

One thing is there is enormous culture and history in the region, and it is not a drab and dull area as so often depicted in the Western Media. However be prepared to have to pay for things you regard as 'free' in the West, but medical standards are exceptional - and if you have major dental problems then I solidly recommend Hungary as the best in the world in my view.

One further thing, most Eastern Europeans are highly sensitive to any disparagement of their countries, particularly from foreigners, so beware!

Personally I would go back there to work (if I was younger) and to live for lengthy periods. Permanent living I think would be harder for most English people as it is easy to feel isolated, and it can seem a long way away, although in reality it isn't. 3-hour flight, and less, will get you to almost all of these regions.

My contribution to the debate, but I admit to being just a little bit dated in some areas.

:-)

I quite understand, Brian, that's exactly the reason I haven't been here for so long and my temporary return to sfn coincides with having a minute to watch the télé too ;-)

We'll be launching ourselves back into the lion's den again tomorrow :-O

Thanks Finn, you beat me to it ;-)