2022 Presidential/Legislatives elections

worse… it could be “rat face” making headway…

Vladimir Putin publicly backed Marine Le Pen during the last presidential race here, and her National Rally party is currently repaying a loan from a Russian bank, plus she has suggested that a future alliance with Russia is possibility. No Thanks!

Exactly. FN now RN activists bus people in from the ends of the commune so they can vote while the bobos are too busy having a lie-in and baking organic hempseed grissini or whatever.

4 Likes

Quite an interesting read

I think she is terrible BUT there are so many complete horrible maniacs in the pool of candidates that she starts to seem moderate and sensible.
I am voting for someone else, in both rounds I hope, like last time.

3 Likes

A pity Brexit did not have a 2-round voting system.

Especially as Rees-Mogg even suggested that.

Or even a requirement for a substantial majority, like 60% to vote leave.

2 Likes

I think there should be rules in place on any referendum, eg at least 75% electoral turn-out and at least 66% of the votes cast, otherwise it is invalid.

7 Likes

Yes, especially the number of “protest” votes likely to go her way - that’s one of the reasons we wound up with Brexit, people voting for the outcome they thought unlikely as a “protest” - and discovering that particular outcome was not at all unlikely.

Possibly seeing Le Pen close or ahead of Macron after the 1st round will galvanise the Left and Centre Left to vote for Macron (but there again…).

2 Likes

It’s the second round that counts !

True, thankfully.

But a Le Pen victory seems closer to being a real possibility this time than in 2017.

1 Like

She is said to have “styled herself as more moderate (than Zemmour!), even if her radical, anti-immigration manifesto remains the same.” The last time round she showed herself to be incapable of the job. I can’t imagine she’s become more capable now. But you’re right, the lefties have lost it and that leaves just Macron or Le Pen.

Or worst case scenario le Pen vs Zemmour or Melenchon or Arthaud (all 4 swivel-eyed loonies)

4 Likes

the key word there being ‘styled’.
Nothing changes underneath.

Heaven help us if…[censored]

1 Like

BBC radio 4 coming on very strongly via their Paris Correspondents that an upset or eathquake of Brexit/Trump magnitude could well be on the cards and that M le P rhetoric of France for the French is hitting home.
It cannot be guaranteed that in the second round there will be a rejection of the hard right like there was the last two times a Le Pen was in the second round.
Wonder what “immigrant” protection the WA will give to Brits? Will we get the same as other none French but EU citizens ?

But you aren’t EU citizens. Being pink will help, obviously if those people get in. :face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

Yes I was discussing that with a friend of mine just now after voting - I am very very worried.

3 Likes

Frankly, whoever gets elected, finally, that’s what folk will have to live with… until the next election.
That’s what Democracy is all about.

What can’t be cured must be endured…
If necessaary, I reckon my endurance in France will still be better than my endurance in UK…
so, let’s look on the bright side of life… the sun is shining

…ok, thats a bit pedantic, what i meant was citizens of other EU member states

…and what is this comment from an article in today’s Sunday Times (i’ve inserted London) reminiscent of

there is a gulf between Paris (aka London) and the other major cities, predominantly liberal and thriving, and small towns and the countryside, where many feel left behind.

Fuelled the Brexit result could it fuel a Le Pen victory?