2nd House Hunting Trip - Looking for somewhere to stay

Paul,

If you don't mind roughing it a bit, you would be welcome to stay with me in the hamlet of Tuilieres, a 2 min walk to the Dordogne river, along side the D660 and a 5 min drive to Mouleydier and 15 mins to Bergerac and the airport.

I live in an only partially restored traditional stone & tile, four bedroom house of around 200sq metres with large attached barn (in very good structural condition), with lovely French and some English neighbours. The place has loads of potential, but health problems and a lack of sufficient funds and time & energy for renovation, has made me reassess things.

I have today, in fact, returned from a trip to view property and get the feel for life in the Charentes where I can get a fully renovated property with a lot less land, for less than I paid and for what what my property is now worth...without sacrificing good levels of sunshine...

I am, I think going to advertise this without using an agent, in an attempt to see what interest I get and save some money ...I'm keen to get on with this as I have seen a place that I think is ideal for me and I want to make a quick sale in order not to 'miss the boat'...which would be tragic !

If staying at my place doesn'rt appeal or if you are looking to take over an existing business, I may be able to point you in the direction of a couple who have a lovely Chambre d'hote who I learned yesterday, want to retire and have just put their place (which is about 20 mins from a town) on the market.

http://www.gites-de-france-dordogne.com/

Should find something there too.

Hilarious! Try http://www.booking.com or http://www.airbnb.co.uk !

Thank you Peter, we were staying in a small hamlet near pompadour 4 weeks ago. Surrounded by apple orchards and sweet chestnut trees, reminded me a little of Kent where I grew up as a youngster.

No problem Paul. The free offer of accommodation still stands if you are stuck. Yes, Limoges will be cooler than Brantôme though west of Limoges is much milder. It can get nippy almost anywhere in the Dordogne too so don't be taken in by the summer temperatures. I'm often near Pompadour and the winters are more harsh than where I am. The area you cite should be ok weather-wise. Good luck in your search.

Hi Jan, thank you. I wish that I had made this post 5 weeks ago. I have just responded to a very kind offer, that may have involved, food, drink, money or perhaps all 3 from Peter Bird. It is just a little too far North and east . We stayed near Pompadour and saw the horses being trained. There was actually a show on on the day of our visit. We love horses and have only just recently given them up. Thank you for the offer though. I feel awful now that so many people have come forward to offer help. The forum seems to be a friendly enough place. As I had stated earlier, once we are settled would be happy to extend the same level of assistance to anyone else who was starting out in our position.

Thank you.

Paul

Hi Peter, good afternoon, and thank you for your earlier reply. I have been out for most of the day and have only just returned. Your offer of accommodation is gratefully received. it would have been a great location for my first visit as it was that and the eastern Correze that I and my wife were looking at originally, until we discovered the Dordogne valley. Our catchment area is from the River in the South around Beync et Cazenac to Brantome in the North and possible 50Km East and West of that central point, Traveling time is only about an Hour East West at the most when it comes to arranging viewings. You have the national Park to the South of you which is beautiful and properties with a bit of land are plentiful, but we were amazed at the difference in temperature when getting closer to the River. 28degrees and a warm wind near Bergerac and 17 degrees near Limoges. I know it is a bit of a generalisation but the South it is for us.

Thank you.

regards.

Paul

We've a B&B to the east of Limoges, not far from the Haute Vienne, Creuse and Corrèze borders. Think we might be a little to the north of your hunting ground but we do do excellent table d'hôtes! La Chouette , and are more than happy to talk about our 11+ years living in France.

Jan

Hello Paul

Thank you for your reply.

Please feel free to contact me further if you decide to come this way. We also have several friends in the area who could also provide information/ pros & cons for you.

Best wishes

Bob

There's a flat at my place you can use for a few days if you wish Paul, 35kms west of Limoges handy for the southern & western Hte Vienne & north Dordogne

Hi Bob, thank you for your offer, that is really kind and of course we can agree terms. I had hedged my bets and had booked a fully cancellable room in one of the travel lodge equivalents for 4 nights bang smack in the centre of my hunting zone. I have your e mail address and it would be a great help to be able to speak with other like minded people who have already made the move. The information that I have gathered through chance meetings has been great and has saved us both a lot of time having to trawling the internet looking for solutions. Once we are settled, we hope to be able to pay back other newcomers in a similar way.

Regards.

Paul.

Hi Colin, thank you for your message. My wife and I have been looking specifically at properties outside of Town, but not too remote. We currently live on a farm near York and am trying to find somewhere where we can bring the dogs and have a bit of privacy. My morning routine usually involves a cup of tea, 3 dogs and a walk around the fields in a pair of wellington boots and my dressing gown, if a gust of wind happens to result in a wardrobe malfunction then I have only the cows to worry about . Your neighbours may not be as forgiving but thank you for your message. This way we may just find that little jem we are looking for.

Thank you Andy. Just found that on the Map and it is just the East of where we are looking but we drove very close during our visit this September.

Thank you.

Paul

Hi Zoe, thank you for your reply. I have just taken a look at your web site and the house and facilities look wonderful. Zoe, for logistical reasons, my wife and I have restricted our search slightly to the North and West of your location. We will have lots and lots of visitors all year round from all over the world. Many of our friends and family will take advantage of really low cost fares to Limoges Airport or possibly Bergerac which will be only a hop skip and a jump away from us. I am still having to come to terms with the distances required to travel, a bit like America, but it is all doable. Thank you for the offer anyway and good luck with the sale. Things are definitely moving, as we have found as we seem always to be pipped to the post on the last few occasions whilst house hunting. if it is Ok with you, could I ask you further questions as I am sure that there will be a few more questions than answers after my return on the 16th.

Regards.

Paul.

Hello Paul

We are situated between Sarlat / Gourdon & Souilliac and could offer you a stay with us if the area suits you.

Please let me know. bobmcneil@aol.com

Best wishes

Bob

Hi John, yes, I might be being a little optimistic concerning time scales, but for once in our lives, my wife and I are in no rush and are looking forward, warts n all to what ever may lie ahead for us. We both adopt the attitude of "Glass half full" and have raised 4 children with all ups and downs that that particular challenge brings. If there are just the two of us, plus 3 dogs, we can make a go of it.

Paul, if Tarn et Garonne is suitable for you, we have a six bedroom, three bathroom town house with 92sq m garage which could be used for all sorts of purposes. Our rear (south) view is of the River Garonne and we are situated in La Magistere. It is on offers at 199,000 as we have re-located to Spain. We have just finished a six year totalrestoration. If interested please email to granvillecolin@hotmail.com. Colin![](upload://kPCvuqzZUx12GQojQkEvoiexT0i.jpg)

Moulin de Latreille in Calles is worth it. Owned by an english couple, who've been there for years. Wonderful place and they'll tell you the best places to check out.

Hi Paul, we have a b&b room available for your stay and our Farmhouse is available for a long let.

Our 17th century Farmhouse and 2 guest houses are for sale west of Cahors near a lively medieval village, Montcuq. This is a beautiful area and we have lived here very happily for the last 27 years. We are staying here and dividing our time between here and Lyon, where our daughter lives. Please see our website for the Farmhouse, Stable and Bread Oven details: www.mondounetholidaysandhomes.com More info available and will be pleased to call you if you'd like a chat.

France is such a beautiful country and our area is more sunny and warm than our neighbouring departments. Cahors is known as the gateway to the south.

Look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

Paul, I have to say that I agree with John; find a rental for a few months whilst you house hunt as it will take the pressure off and you'll be able to really get to know the region you are interested in. Finding an out of season gite to rent should be quite easy.

You are welcome to stay at our place for your next visit, but we're in the equally gorgeous Charente-Limousin.