32 mistakes foreigners make when they arrive in France

I say!

:smiley: :blush: :smiley:

Haha yes!

Here is the big question then, having just read this article I was surprised to discover tipping, from a very young age I have been told that tipping in France was obligatory, so at 68 I now feel ashamed that I do tip. Now is, not the winter etc, but for someone to put me straight on this. Please. I feel so Shtupid (Rowan & Martin)

It is mandatory that restaurant prices include service, though if you felt that an individual was above-and-beyond what you would expect I don’t see why an additional tip wouldn’t be appropriate.

The yanks tip excessively - partly because their culture is still in the dark ages as far as protection and remuneration for those in lower paid service jobs goes.

3 Likes

Americans tip as it’s normal in the USA. It took me a while to get my head around the prices on American menus which bore no relation to the actual cost of a meal or a drink once tax and the mandatory tip had been added. In France I rarely tip when paying by card but often ‘round up’ when paying in cash.

1 Like

Yes, but it is normal because the table staff get paid shit.

2 Likes

I was a waitress in the US for a while when younger, and wasn’t paid at all so relied on tips
and very grateful I was too that some customers were wildly generous.

Here in France I generally don’t tip in restaurants unless something exceptional, especially when family run. In cafĂ©s I might leave my change if it’s less than a Euro. If I am mightily pissed off by service I deliberately leave a single centime.

2 Likes

I agree!! And we all speak american with all our own different accents!!! My hubby truly saw the difference when he came to visit the US. English is proper
y’all have no idea how improper we can be!

Really enjoyed this
ty!

Britain and America, two nations divided by a common language.

I have a French mate who loves US films and is a great fan of Tom Onk.

2 Likes

How is that relevant?

I prefer Tom Hanks. I find Tom Onk a bit one dimensional. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Oh, the “English” language
what a history that has!

Flo and I have been watching a series hosted by Melvin Bragg entitled “The Adventure of English”. It can be found on YouTube and is in 8 episodes. Absolutely fascinating!!! It traces the history of the English language - and contains many surprises. Very ironic noting the rise today of the “Little Englander” and their perceived superiority over “Johnny Foreigner”. If only they knew where the words coming out of their mouths originated, they would be mute within seconds!

Check it out if you fancy it - very entertaining!
C

2 Likes

Thanks god it is not the same! Although I had often big problems in the UK understanding what you call English!

Stella, we really must meet up at some time!!! Preferably before I fall off my twig! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I am trying to figure out how I arrive so late for discussions? I also note that so many times a Guardian article catches my attention and I enjoy reading the comments - and sometimes joining in. Now though I have noticed that ‘comments are now closed for this article’ when it has just appeared on my computer. Am I living in a different time zone or life?

Re language, one of my still prized books was handed to me on arrival in Australia in 1969 - ‘The Dinkum Aussie Dictionary’ One of the funniest, and as it transpired one of the truest books I have ever read!

Typical entry (with due apologies to those who need a humour transplant - another Australianism)

‘Bangs like a Dunny Door’ - Used by males about any girl reputedly free with her sexual favours. Invariably turns out to be a lie’

‘If it was raining mansions, I’d get hit by the Dunny Door’ meaning someone with terminal bad luck’

Need I explain that the Dunny Door was the malodorous entry to the outdoor lavatory?

The book also explains the variants involved in the use of the word ‘bastard’ - essential reading to avoid getting into a ‘stouch’ (punch-up)

The Australian comedian/Barry Humphries was a fund of such expressions with his Les Patterson character. He was also somewhat gentler with his Dame Edna Everidge one.

1 Like

My favourite creation of his was the immortal Barry McKenzie, I have a book somewhere

Ah yes - good old Bazzer. He seemed to disappear from his offerings didn’t he? I think Humphries was happier with more outrageous personalities, rather than an amiable but dumb one. Maybe that was later in his career, when certainly the Les Patterson one became cruder and cruder which I felt was a mistake.

But a brilliant and original comedian/actor just the same.

Have your chooks turned into emus and kicked your dunny down?