32 mistakes foreigners make when they arrive in France

(Stevie Cole) #21

I say!

:smiley: :blush: :smiley:

(Stevie Cole) #22

Haha yes!

(Roderic Ellis) #23

Here is the big question then, having just read this article I was surprised to discover tipping, from a very young age I have been told that tipping in France was obligatory, so at 68 I now feel ashamed that I do tip. Now is, not the winter etc, but for someone to put me straight on this. Please. I feel so Shtupid (Rowan & Martin)

(Paul Flinders) #24

It is mandatory that restaurant prices include service, though if you felt that an individual was above-and-beyond what you would expect I don’t see why an additional tip wouldn’t be appropriate.

The yanks tip excessively - partly because their culture is still in the dark ages as far as protection and remuneration for those in lower paid service jobs goes.

(Dominic Best) #25

Americans tip as it’s normal in the USA. It took me a while to get my head around the prices on American menus which bore no relation to the actual cost of a meal or a drink once tax and the mandatory tip had been added. In France I rarely tip when paying by card but often ‘round up’ when paying in cash.

(Paul Flinders) #26

Yes, but it is normal because the table staff get paid shit.

(Jane Jones) #27

I was a waitress in the US for a while when younger, and wasn’t paid at all so relied on tips…and very grateful I was too that some customers were wildly generous.

Here in France I generally don’t tip in restaurants unless something exceptional, especially when family run. In cafés I might leave my change if it’s less than a Euro. If I am mightily pissed off by service I deliberately leave a single centime.

(Meghann Robbe) #28

I agree!! And we all speak american with all our own different accents!!! My hubby truly saw the difference when he came to visit the US. English is proper…y’all have no idea how improper we can be!

(Meghann Robbe) #29

Really enjoyed this…ty!

(David Martin) #30

Britain and America, two nations divided by a common language.

(Peter Goble) #31

I have a French mate who loves US films and is a great fan of Tom Onk.

(David Martin) #32

How is that relevant?

(Dan Wood) #33

I prefer Tom Hanks. I find Tom Onk a bit one dimensional. :smile::smile::smile:

(carl tunnicliffe) #34

Oh, the “English” language…what a history that has!

Flo and I have been watching a series hosted by Melvin Bragg entitled “The Adventure of English”. It can be found on YouTube and is in 8 episodes. Absolutely fascinating!!! It traces the history of the English language - and contains many surprises. Very ironic noting the rise today of the “Little Englander” and their perceived superiority over “Johnny Foreigner”. If only they knew where the words coming out of their mouths originated, they would be mute within seconds!

Check it out if you fancy it - very entertaining!
C