3D Printing - does anyone here do it?

You can buy a reversing ring adapter so you turn your lens aroind for macro shots.

Thanks,

Unfortunately, that’s unlikely to provide a similar quality (several of the below the line comments are critical that the video doesn’t adequately demonstrate the quality of the results).

If I take this work forward, I’d want to output it as very large piezographic prints, but I’m a long way from that stage.

Reversing rings went out with the arc, or at any rate when lenses started to acquire almost as much in the way of electronics as the cameras.

You can still get macro adapters though which either couple the electronics but move the lens forward away from the sensor plane or as a supplementary lens placed on the front of the standard lens, usually a telephoto.

Supplementary lenses adversely affect quality but they are easiest to use.

Thanks, I’m going to stick with buying a decent macro. This week OH sold some work at her solo expo in a local chateau (I hung the show so there’s a case for the lens, so to speak).

I have a Creality Ender 3Pro which was quite inexpensive. It tends to get used to manufacture bits to repair other things. You can use Tinkercad to draw whatever you want to make as well as downloading ready-drawn items from Thingiverse. I’ve probably saved as much as the machine cost particularly when the items are obsolete and difficult to get. Spare parts for my lawnmower being a case in point. Also useful if you have kids/grandkids as there is loads of stuff on Thingiverse for them.

3 Likes

and for the more adventurous…

1 Like

As long as I liked the look of a house, I don’t think how it was constructed would bother me.

I’m sure some may disagree but I think anything that can make building houses cheaper and quicker has to be a good thing.

I stumbled upon this video on YouTube the other day and was really impressed with the results… Thought some here might appreciate it.

2 Likes
1 Like

There’s plenty of far more architecturally interesting 3D printed houses on the Dezeen website. One of the most recent is this:-

Mighty Buildings completes “world’s first” 3D-printed zero-net energy home (dezeen.com)

As your subjects will not get freaked by you being close in, a 55mm Nikkor [+ extensions if necc] should be haveable quite reasonably they go back decade. Fabulously sharp.

I was amazed and impressed when my dentist ‘printed’ a crown with a gizmo on his work top

1 Like

Apologies for the thread revival but tonight I printed my first ever item on my new 3d printer (Xmas present from my OH)… :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I think youre going to need a bigger boat!

3 Likes

Incidentally one can use a 3D model of a positive to make a mould in order to cast something in other materials by doing a boolean subtraction from a block and digitally printing it.

I may commission some 3D printing if I cant match some timber molding mounting clips.