A Comfortable Retirement

Crikey, I need to come up with a business that earns better money toute suite!

Interesting information…i think the big differentiator between being comfortable or not in retirement is accommodation costs…ie rent or mortgage/big loan free. If one is in that situation then two UK state pensions (£15k) plus say an occupation pension of say about £10k-15k (not unusual) so €28k should fund comfortable if not extravagant life style here.

1 Like

Unfortunately some people moved over to France on a wing and a prayer. Surely when leaving your mother country you would /should have made some financial planning. I always assumed that retired or about to retire folk who moved to Europe bought their property outright. It would appear though reading various forums that this is not the case and some are renting others paying a mortgage, therefore having their finances stretched. The point I made to Tim was in our opinion one can manage on a UK state pension here in France. In fact for us the only plus for covid restrictions is the bank balance is slowly creeping up.

Our ideal is to have the same level of income (or a bit more) than we do now along with say 50K in the bank for emergencies, the thought of spending the last 15/20 years of my life worrying about paying the bills is not a pleasant one.

1 Like

Our rental property is a steady income which gives us something like an 8% return. Not many trials or tribulations, although occasional headaches of course but there’s little in life that is completely hassle free. Having money in bricks and mortar that is also providing housing for someone feels more comfortable that popping my nest egg in shares in oil, arms or tobacco. And next year we will have had it long enough so no capital gains tax to pay, even nicer! We bought the flat as OH had never contributed to a pension scheme (apart from State one) and has turned out to be one of our better decisions.

2 Likes

Quote Jane Jones:
“Our rental property is a steady income which gives us something like an 8% return. Not many trials or tribulations, although occasional headaches of course but there’s little in life that is completely hassle free.”

Absolutely agree, there is always a little pain with gain but nothing that isnt manageable. 8% or thereabouts return is surely better than any traditional pension fund.
I certainly feel more than comfortable being my own pension fund manager rather than some faceless fund manager lining his/her own pockets with my hard earned pot.

Certainly a wish that most would aspire to but the reality is less for most. As you get older your demands on life and what it can provide change. Children grow to adults and run thier own lives. Grandchildren give cause for treats but not on the scale that your children cost while being reared.
You have usually accumulated during your working life what will easily see you through the golden years and simple maintenance and occasional renewal is required.
A nest egg just in case of emergencies is fine but not big enough for others to enjoy if you suddenly fall off your perch, much better fir you to have the pleasure of spending it.
All in all you really dont need the same level of income in retirement although it would be nice.

Doing nothing is not an option for me.
i spent much of this year unable to work or become engaged in a venture.
It was not enjoyable.
Being older does not mean that the brain no longer works
i came to France for a reason and it was not to sit around with chocolate digestives
watching endless old films on the TV
Tory what you were doing when I met you is perfect but you can work for more than one company.Would not call it management but possibly Travel Aunt.Making sure that the standard of a holiday rental property is tip top for ownerm agent and renter.
You could do this.

Van you can plan all you like…things happen.

Barbara Deane
I dont think your reply is meant for me?

This is a very useful source of information. Thanks

Sorry
I was just talking aloud.

1 Like

Not sure if I agree, provided you get a good manager and competitive costs then I think sharing information and advice is preferable to going alone unless you really understand the market and asset class allocation. That is unless you invest in trackers or a few big global funds, eg Fundsmith or StateStreet Global leaders but remember Woodford!
I would prefer to make say £8k in income and pay £2k than make £5k with no fees…particularly as risk management and capital gain through good fund and stock picking is likely to be enhanced through a good personal manager.
What needs to be avoided is signing up with a big pension platform who use call center delivered support…all you then get fed is a bland generic option of investments, … personalised and economic providers are out there as I have found and use.

We certainly don’t spend £12k on rail fares and it would be considerably more nowadays just to get to work.

Ha ha, to me the less useful side of this otherwise excellent site, the individually directed reply button. :roll_eyes:

I fell foul of it a couple of times when I arrived but I am not complaining about it, I simply don’t use it. For me it is always quote and reply, then everyone knows who I am talking to. :wink: :slightly_smiling_face:

Cricky, all sounds very complicated.
I stand by my way of doing things, bricks and Mortar with a steady rental income stream a and when I’m gone my investment is still there for children to benefit.
Each to their own.

Children grow up and find their way around the world.
It is the animals who need our help.

2 Likes

we have lived here for 18months now and joint state pension is enough for basic living…so taking money from private pension provides for the extra.
Cost of living is more expensive (particularly health) but my income tax equivalent is much less.

Of course things can and do happen which to some degree will change your direction in life and your financial needs. That though does not mean in my opinion that plans for retirement should not be made. When Tim posts about people in their seventies struggling paying bills it just seems that they have never made provision for their retirement.

Yes we can manage on our state pensions here in France. Our water and electric bills are less than what they would have been in the UK and our health insurance at 131euros a month is less than what we would have been paying Leeds city council in council tax.