A new life in France

There is a healthy loathing with some English to Welsh and visa versa, ask any Welsh rugby supporter who would rather die than watch England play the game correctly. To call the comments rude is a bit much. It is normal banter much like french non Parisians who talk about thier capital city dwellers.
I have personal experience of a welshman who was a former partner of our daughter and having spent lots of time in his company, as a welshman he was totally up his own jacksy.
Not saying all welsh are the same but lots are.

1 Like

If anything that’s probably even more offensive, Roger. When you’re in a hole, stop digging.

I get that you don’t rate the Welsh and it sounds like it’s mutual, well it’s certainly true that not all the Welsh like the English. That being the case, they don’t see why they should make the effort to speak your language all the time. Different consonants, different vowels, they don’t come natural to a Welsh mouth. They only make the effort if they want to talk to you.

1 Like

Regarding language, we all have an accent/dialect one way or another. It comes down to individuality and more importantly, in my book at least, the person
Unfortunately being an Essex born female I’ve had to suffer the “dont mean anything by it jokes” linked to that dreadful tv programme.
Just saying…

Where do you get the idea that i dont rate the welsh. I never said that, i commented on the accent and the lazy pronunciation. I am part welsh so i think i am probably more welsh than an “honorary” one, so i dont think i am the one digging a hole.

Thank you Anna Watson, hadn’t thought of that only personal effects!

Thank you Jane Jones, food for thought!

My sincere condolences Caz, I fully agree that programme has done more to damage the county of Essex than any other i know of.

1 Like

Not really because French non Parisians and Parisians share the same mother tongue.
Would you engage in banter with a Moroccan or someone from the DomToms about the way they pronounce French?

1 Like

Oh another good piece of advice! Thankyou Anna Watson.

Strabane man

My partner is marocain and she had a better education than the French kids get today, taught by a French teacher in Casa and made to pronounce and write correctly. She speaks a lot clearer and spells correctly unlike the majority of the French, even a teacher at the school where she worked said the Education has got a lot worse over the years here.
So a bit naive in your comment.

Yes the tennant has to have insurance before renting and give the owner a copy, and a copy each year after.

I think you missed my point.
I wasn’t saying that everyone from Morocco or the DomToms speaks poor French. The point was that their language learning experience may be different from someone in France métropolitain. Which you 've just confirmed, and in this case her teaching was better.
The reason I was making that point is because banter is fine when it’s a level playing field, you’re all in the same boat, you’re comparing like with like, whichever cliché you want to trot out. But, banter has to be based on the assumption that everyone is basically the same. Banter can easily be seen as insensitive and risks beo,g misunderstood when it ignores factors that make a difference.
TBH it just got up my nose when a poster talked about “them”, by which he meant the Welsh, being too lazy to pronounce English properly, and then another poster got up my nose even worse by apparently not even recognising Welsh as a separate language and country - English and Welsh is like Parisians and non-Parisians, he says. However I’m beyond bored with that particular topic now so won’t be revisiting it, but I absolutely was not being disrespectful to your better half. Although personally I don’t see anything wrong with having a French-Moroccan accent if you happen to be Moroccan.

1 Like

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

Is the only possible response to that…

Hi Michael,

I found link which is pretty useful: price by m2 in France
There is a price for house and for apt. (to buy)
I live in Grenoble area, but I would suggest area of Bordeaux or Toulouse. You have plenty connections “with the world” and big cities nearby ( big but like Liverpool Birmingham I would say).

There are lots of sites that provide estimates of purchase and rental costs for different types of properties in different areas. Just be careful not to use a site that needs you to give personal details like a phone number or email as you will be inundated with junk mail/calls. I don’t think this one needs details

1 Like

Oh yes, most of us are semi-literate mumblers, of course.
You are funny Barrie, the people with whom you come into contact sound quite extraordinary, something from a horror film set in the middle ages.

Yes, the ancient Greeks said the same thing. Nostalgia just isn’t what it used to be.
That said when we say ‘éducation’ we primarily mean politeness, manners, washing hands and sharing etc, things you are supposed to learn at home. What you learn at school is ‘instruction’.

It is spelt Moroccan in English. Elle est marocaine.
Education has got a lot worse in the UK, apparently :grin:

5 Likes

Don’t hold back Véronique. Tennant indeed. An actor and a very good one but not someone paying rent.

1 Like

Without even meeting someone you just know marriage would be tough. :grinning:

Maybe but bet the tajines are yummy :+1: !