A New Start After 60

All the best then, in your new home. It sounds like the right thing to do.

1 Like

Our decision is much more than just wanting to be able to walk to the shops etc.

I’ve never really experienced ‘city life’ being a ‘country boy’ so that will be a big change, we’ve both got elderly parents with serious health issues and they need our help, I miss going to football so have already bought a season ticket for the local club, after running a business for 16 years where we couldn’t take time off in the summer we’ll now be able to holiday whenever we want, our kids don’t need us anymore, the list is endless.

13 Likes

I’ve been reading some discussions on this group and found it very interesting and informative. So glad I got accepted. What I’ve learned from the group is that:
Humans are similar in every part of the world
Communication helps to make informed decisions
Being a part of a group is important
Northing is permanent.
We live in south africa and are considering moving to France. At age 70 and 66 respectively, our children think we’ve lost our minds. At an exchange rate of 20 south africa rands to one, yes 1 euro I can understand why. However, much to their surprise we’ve booked our tickets to visit France in search of a property. I’ve been to Paris but nowhere else. We are learning as we go along. We’ve chosen some areas as potential but we’re still unsure as to where the most suitable area would be. We want to make a new start after 60 and we need your advice. Our wishlist is as follows:

small garden for our bouvier and sundowners
Three bedrooms
Mains drains
Good roof
Low cost heating
Part of a friendly safe village with amenities
Beautiful surroundings for walks
Mild climate
Markets close by
No serious renovations
Move in ready to start exploring our new area

All of this for a total budget of 100 000 Euros.

Is it possible?

It’s possible. Not in the most “popular” places and likely to need decoration (generally houses are presented very badly for sale, so need to use imagination). And probably have to compromise on something - eg third bedroom, lovely view

This took me two minutes to find

Hi Jane. Yes I’ve seen this property and have saved it on Pinterest. Vendee seems to be an ideal place for us. Properties at this price are few and far between in that area. The dordogne seems to have some nice home at great prices but I think the climate is very cold in winter. Your opinion is greatly appreciated. Where do you live. Tell me about it and any suggestions are wellcome. Thankfully Janet Fergus

You might find this thread of interest:

1 Like

Hi,

I’ll try to offer what I know on the basis of personal experience - I’m a Brit who was a professor at Rhodes for five years after Apartheid and my wife’s from Durban, butbefore emigrating to the UK had lived in Joburg for about twenty years - So I think I know a bit about SA and S Africans’ preferences and dislikes.

In your situation , unless you’re very wealthy, I’d look just back from the Med, but south of the Massif Central - Aveyron, Lot and perhaps the extreme south of the Cantal, such as the upper Lot Valley. Here property is much cheaper, but the countryside is stunning and you’re not too far from major centres. Also the climate is mellow - clear blue skies for most of the year with very little frost except at altitude.

If you want to email me privately about this, please feel free to do so

3 Likes

It’s not the Cote d’Azur but there are certainly colder parts of France than Dordogne :smiley:

That made me laugh! The Dordogne hovers around freezing….where we are in the mountains it hits -20. You would not like it here we live in Eastern France :smiley:

4 Likes

Obviously it depends on your notion of ‘very cold’ but Dordogne (at least where I live in the SW corner) isn’t particularly cold in winter, every 20 years there are a couple of really cold winters otherwise it doesn’t get below about -5 or -6 and even then only for a couple of nights.

It does help if you have a micro climate too. We are in N, Dordogne and rarely get frost on the ground, if it snows only one day out of the last 23 years has it not been gone by teatime.
Also I can swim in my pond almost every day of the year, and one of only 3 things (apart from absence) which stops me, is ice on the surface of the water. :joy: (To avoid unnoticed cuts)

I know prices have moved on in 30 odd years but everything is relative and we bought for cash and paid the deposit with a trip to the hole in the wall with our Access card. :rofl:

2 Likes

Hi Nigel. Thank you so much for your referral. I could not stop reading the posts. So glad we’re not the only ones dreaming of retiring in France. It has been so helpful to determine the areas and the type of property we should be focusing on. We are very grateful for your suggestion. Merci beaucoup. James and Janet Fergus

Hi Nigel. Thank you so much for your input. I’ll check out the North part of the dordogne. I’m attracted to that area but every time I mention that specific area to James (husband) he’ll check it on weather spark and say oh no it’s very cold there. He really suffers when it’s very cold.:cold_face::scream: Thanks again.

If weather is a major concern then you could look at the Morvan, a little further north and east. Snow seems to be a thing of the past around here from discussions with long-term residents, and the peak temps are lower than many places further south. It’s an area of hills and woods, farming and cows. You might well find a 3 bed house in your price range, although considering your ages, it would be wise to ensure medical facilities were available nearby.

4 Likes

If someone’s considering the Dordogne, I hesitate to mention the northern Aveyron and in particular the upper Lot Valley. OTOH the climate’s better - not too hot and we last had snow in 2012. There are all the features you seem to be looking for, and - lastly the big one -it’s much cheaper because it’s further from the UK and much less well-known.

I’d also add that IMO the landscape’s more ‘interesting’ tho’ that might upset some on SF

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: we all see things differently, so I doubt you’ll upset anyone on here… :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Thank you for the useful information. Much appreciated.

Hope it goes well for you Tim. We are looking to move back as soon as we have sold but we are just over 80 so do not have as much time as you to get sorted.

Our sale has fallen through so now have to start again just as the financial scene takes a turn for the worse.

Best of luck and enjoy your new lifestyle.

You must feel gutted… I do hope things take a turn for the better, soon.

Where abouts in UK are you planning on moving back to… ?

Yes Stella, it was a bit of a blow but that is what happens sometimes and there is very little you can do about it except pick yourself up and start again.

We are looking to move back to Gloucestershire where most of our family live.