A return to gunboat diplomacy..?

No Karen. You’re normally on the on the ball but…

Sending a couple of Micky Mouse river boats to address a negotiating failure is not sensible.

If you read the EU AZ contract you will see that AZ UK facilities were included in the provision of vaccines to the EU, that didn’t happen, the UK hogged the vaccines. The ramifications will be resolved in court.

Meanwhile the AZ CFO is in line to get his long term bonus upgraded to 650% of his 1.3 Million salary… £10 million. Emmm? Who’s pulling the strings.

Now, regarding the “vaccine border”. That’s a mistake by some low level idiot in Brussels without consultation with Paris, Berlin or Dublin which the bastards in Westminster and Stormont capitalised on…

1 Like

I recall that the UK sent gun boats to Iceland during the “Cod Wars”? That did not work out too well for them did it? But it is just in time for the elections for a bit of sabre rattling.

Morning all

This is absolute lunacy.

We live 20 mins from Granville. There has been a mutually beneficial agreement between Jersey and Normandy for decades. I believe Jersey fleet lands all it’s fish at the Granville processing plant, and as far as I am aware there have been no issues in relation to fishing in Jersey waters.

There is a mutually advantageous tourist industry between Jersey and Granville.

All of this has been pissed down the drain by Brexit.

There is only one reason from this 19th century reaction.

THERE’S A BLOODY ELECTION IN THE UK TODAY.

Sorry not my normally reasoned post, but this infuriates me.

It will also help the driving licence problem

Try and have a good day

Andy

4 Likes

Amnesia, populism, electioneering - they’re all in the mix - but it’s also part of a pattern around returning Britain to the glory days (as they see it) of Empire, when the UK really did regularly exercise gun boat diplomacy (an euphemism for intimidation).
This is what the Tory dinosaurs mean by ‘global Britain’, what’s really behind the return to ‘east of Suez’, or for that matter Gove’s Boys’ Own comic-book view of the school history curriculum.

3 Likes

It’s all a ruse to divert attention away from

He’s hoping for a good showing in the polls and a good day to bury bad news.
Typical bleedin English! The bicentenary of Napoleon and all they can muster is about how “short” he was… he was 5’7" average height for Europeans (including English) 200 years ago.
Disgraceful

3 Likes

Politics interfering when things are working well for both parties.
Obviously not helped by France threatening to cut off electricity and to blockade St Hellier.
I listened to a French minister saying that it was ‘all just words’, but it would be so much better when they came round a negotiating table.

Morning Jane

The problem is getting around the table with Johnson and his crew is a pointless exercise, as they appear to think that any decisions made can be reneged on, if it to their interest.

Look where sensible discussions are getting us on the driving licence issue.

Despite the rain, have a great day

Andy

2 Likes

It seems as though there has been a rather high handed attitude by the States of Jersey, but you do have to take protecting stocks into account.
Talks before these licences went out could well have avoided all of this.

I hate to be pessimistic but it does look like this government are to be rewarded for their mendacity, sleaze, cronyism and the loss of thousands of lives to cv19 through indecision today.

2 Likes

2 Likes

think you omitted the word …NOT

1 Like

Sorry John, was being sarcastic !!

Have a great day

Andy

Interesting viewpoint form Jersey’s fishers…

The root of the problem is not the actions of a few French fishers but, ultimately, the UK’s departure from the EU.

I wonder if Scotland leaves the UK the Chanel Islands will go too? Rejoining the customs union and single market at least is the obvious solution (for the fishers at least).

1 Like

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the the present response fades to insignificance compared to the sheer lunacy of past UK Euro MP’s allowing the EU to take control of UK fishing rights - French Euro MP’s would have veto’d any suggestion of passing the right to the UK fishing fleet to plunder French coastal waters.

I don’t think that’s what happened John - it’s a much more depressing story: the UK failed to match-fund an EU programme designed to modernise its fishing operations; many UK fishers subsequently could not afford the necessary investments, so they sold their quotas to neighbouring countries, forgetting their children’s future.
So it was the usual combination of poor UK government planning and UK private sector taking short-term profit at the expense of wise investment.

1 Like

The problem John is that fishing interests while being vocal and emotional are only 0.1% of the UK economy and thus irrelevant in the greater scheme of things.

They kept this pretty quiet too…

1 Like

Quite apart from prices at the chippies, I seem to have detected a distinct decrease in taste of the cod on offer in our weekly chippie van here. I have never been a big fan of fish and chips and only force myself here to give me one day off a week from the kitchen stove. I hate cooking. We have already cut ourselves down from one fish each to one between us, and none for the dog, and I feel it won’t be long before I have to put my apron back on on Monday nights.