Additional costs to think about when purchasing a property...?

Superb. I didn't think to ask you, Andrew, because I always imagine you away running the business 24/7 but of course you've been through this quite a bit yourself!

- a house older than 5 years

- some notaires sell property and so there is a negotiation fee (just the same as an agents fee but lower)

debours - money advanced by the notaire for certain acts

- yep, it's a purchase tax :-(

- exactly, he has to earn a living and pay his staff!

- all acts are published (no it isn't to do with charges/hypothèques on the property, that's paid for elsewhere in the notaire's fees

- so yes, that's what you'll be paying at the notaire's. You can use the same notaire, that's normal, - he's simply there to do the legal bit and collect the taxes, he isn't a solicitor acting in the interests of a particular person!

As for agent's fees, you'll probably be looking at around 6%, up to 8% on smaller properties, less for bigger ones. Everything should take between 2 to 3 months from signing the compromis de vente to the acte authentique.

I think we need BRIAN MILNE (I'm shouting so he sees this) - his good lady wife is a property guru and should be able to break this down into something legible hopefully.

Thank you Valerie!

Here is what I got when I used the notaire/legal fee calculator from the Useful Links tab:

Montant de vos frais de notaire

Résumé de vos choix
Type de bien : bien achevé depuis plus de cinq ans (This means an older house, I think.)
Département : 24 (Dordogne)
Négociation par un notaire : Non - (Not sure why someone would use this feature.)
Montant du bien : 800 000 €

MONTANT
Debours : 400 € (I don't know what this means.)
Etat : 46 400 € (I'm assuming this money goes to the State...is this the same as the purchase transfer tax?)
Notaire : 9 374 € (His fee)
Publicité foncière : 100 € (Not sure what this is. Perhaps to see if there are any liens on the property?)
Montant des Frais :56 274 € (Total fee. Guess my home budget just became €60,000 less!)

Hi Roland, re the fees, if you go to the Useful Links tab at the top of the page and drop down you'll see Property. Under 'Legal fees' is a notaire fee calculator. It may not be accurate to the last cent but it should give you a very good idea.