Adjustments in taxe d’habitation & foncières charges - what you need to know

The Taxe Fonciere is being significantly remodeled.

There are two parts. The first and foremost is upon your personal property (habitable). The second is on your non-personal property (unless you inhabit your Rolls).

The second will be done away with. Though neither I nor the government are sure when. Meaning, it is being done away with over a period of three years.

And finally, if you are 75 on January 1 of any year you need not pay any more the Taxe Fonciere. I have read that here - but confirm it with your tax advisor.

I don’t understand this.
At present taxe foncière is based on what the US would call “real estate” that you own, be it inhabitable or not. The two elements are taxe foncière bâtie (ie the buildings on your land) and taxe foncière non bâtie (ie your unbuilt-on land). I don’t know what “your non-personal property” means, how can it be yours and not yours?

I haven’t heard of any plans to do away with taxe foncière. There are indeed plans to do away with taxe d’habitation but that is a different tax altogether - it’s charged on property you live in, not property you own.

Yes you are exempt when you reach 75 plus but I have a way to go yet…

It’s the Taxe d’Habitation that is going over a period of two/three years.

Sorry if I confused it with the Taxe Fonciere.

When it comes to taxes, France is chock-a-block! Gotta pay for all those fonctionaires … !

You should have added that the exemption is means tested and depends on your tax RFR being below a set amount for the household. This fact is often ommited on forums resulting with a number of over 75s dashing off to their tax office demanding a rebate.

1 Like