Air pump central heating

The Scandanavians use deep well heating for their heat pumps, as do we.
We have 3 00 metre wells going through layers of granite with streams running between them.
It is extremely useful for heating houses where there is not a lot of ground area, but I don’t think anyone lays out pipes in fields nowadays, it kills the ground.
(This should read three 90 metre wells.)

1 Like

I hope you’re sitting down!! :wink:

I actually blogged the installation too:

For a normal house you’re probably talking about €10,000. We got the biggest system they do! I do recommend moving to triple phase electricity at the same time, which might add a couple of grand, but you won’t be worrying about whether or not the power will trip if you boil the kettle!

1 Like

Is that three hundred metres!!???

Do you have any recommendations ??

And that is why adoption is so slow. Didnt know the PV limit of 3kw so when and now if, because of brexit I wouldn’t have taken any notice anyway, sourcing and fitting my own panels.
Governments sign up to targets for CO2 then seem to discourage the majority of people from taking up the tech. My majority I mean they look after the top earning 20%. Powerstations cost millions to build and millions to remove and gov contracts are given to their friends, if that money was shared out for renewable home sources?

1 Like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07V4RZZC8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_S4PPAZEYP3F8K6GERPRR
These work well, they mount underneath out of sight. The ones on top do work but not as well IMO

I make my own of course. But bought a couple of the variants as above to test. My Mother’s one still working after 5 years.

1 Like

Now the panels are getting cheaper, even with relatively rubbish feed-in tariffs, it’s worth ignoring the 3 kW VAT cap if you’re going to resell. Some farming friends have covered the south pitch of a new barn with PV panels - they don’t self-consume, they just sell it straight back - and they’re getting a fat cheque from Enedis every year. They reckon they’re well on the right side. It’s just the installation costs that always scare folk away…

No, I have corrected my post just now. It is three 90 metre wells.

We installed a Daikin air to water system in 2012 to replace the old temperamental oil boiler and our annual electricity bill increased by only 500 euros per year compared to over 1500 euros for oil. This was for serving the 8 original radiators. As it’s a lower water temperature compared to oil or gas heating we had the heating on from 6am until 11pm and the fabric of the house warms up also. The capital outlay is higher than replacing an old smelly boiler like for like but the comfort level and running costs are much improved.

3 Likes

Would like to add radiator fans to your setup to see the improvement it should make to comfort level.
Tested at home UK, rad is via gas boiler but the comfort feeling was just ok with variance across the room. With the new fan it is too warm so slowing the fan down but I wondered with a lower temp rad would the fan make a difference to comfort feel?

We are renovating a house and installed an air source heat pump in the last 6 months. We use it for the under floor heating system on 2 floors. It’s the best thing we have done. The control for each zone is perfect.
Our DHW is a separate system so They are not connected in any way.
Make sure you get the correct advise for your needs. We did have some problems caused by the wrong advise, but this was sorted and we are glad we took this route. Our heat pump is Mitsubishi and the under floor system is HeatMiser.

That is very interesting @Dubber . we’d not thought of using it for under-floor heating and it sounds to me like a good idea, although some of the experts on here will certainly know better than me!
My reservation about air source heat pumps is the noise of the outside bits. We live a VERY quiet life - are yours noisy?

Can’t hear it from inside the house, in fact even with the doors open that are right above it (small “Juliette” balcony) it is minimal. I generally check that it is working by going and looking whether the leaves on the bushes by the exhaust air are wafting in the breeze.

1 Like

On our system, there is a “quiet” button on the remote which reduces the noise outside from the unit designed especially for deployment in heavily populated areas where neighbours might complain (at night for example).

I can see the hedge from my office French doors which confirms it is working without leaving the confort of my chair (lazy bugger, or what?) :wink:

1 Like

Its perfect for underfloor as the temperature of the floor is a perfect match for a normal unit, not the high temp version discussed the other day. Newer units have redesigned fans that are quieter and with an inverter model quieter still as they vary the speed to suit.

1 Like

Noise is not a problem for us. I did wonder at the time, but after we installed I kept going outside to see if it was working. Were we live there is no traffic and all you can hear are the birds and the wind. When it is running at full capacity you can hear it if you listen for it, but you have to be outside on that side of the house, but as I said before get some good advise and ask to go and see an installation. We live in Normandy near Flers and you are more than welcome to to view ours (Covid permitting).

2 Likes

Thank you so much, Paul, Graham, John and Ron - that is incredibly reassuring and gives us a way forward that we hadn’t really considered.