Alcohol, in its many forms

Did she tell you it was alcohol free?

:rofl::joy:. Nope!

Vinho verde is often quite low in alcohol so worth trying @JaneJones ?

3 Likes

Some natural wines are very low in alcohol - we had a strange, cloudy, yeasty and amazingly complex sauv blanc in a Granada resto last year - so bought a couple of bottles at €15 a pop but then made the mistake of not drinking them for a few months. Too late and a great disappointment.

We often buy it - unfortunately it’s the only Portuguese wine we see locally, but will wait till the weather warms up a bit more. However, very partial to Portuguese wines cos they have so many grape varieties that you don’t see elsewhere

1 Like

Good thought, we have a portuguese shop as big community here, but I only ever go in for the pasteis de nata🫢

I am not seeking alcohol per se, just something that tastes the way ordinary wine does. It has never occurred to me in the past to seek out the content.
Tried the new bottle last night and found it acceptable

No, we had no idea what it was so presumed she was a secret drinker.

If anyone does find an acceptable no alcohol wine, or even gin ect please let me know as I’m currently alcohol free but getting a bit bored of water :rofl:

This is ok. (But if course my taste may not be yours)

Thanks Jane, I’ll try to find it, its my birthday on the weekend so will be nice to have some bubbles!

Its mine too

1 Like

Mine’s Sunday!

You might like dry whites from Baden Württemberg, I am sure there are lots but eg Joachim Heger (Weinhaus Heger) and Fritz Keller (Franz Keller) make really good wine (consequently also not cheap but very worth it) they aren’t easy to get hold of but if you were to nip over to that SW corner of Germany it would be silly not to buy some. Obv I am not neutral as they are very old friends of ours but their wines are fabulous.

2 Likes

No good asking me…:wink:

If you can find an Alsace or German 'pinot noir ’ - spaetburgunder… the reds grown in cooler climates often have 12% alcohol vs. an australian or californian coming in around 14%…
Love a spaetburgunder served chilled with fish

2 Likes

I use a gin alternative by Seedlip. It’s been the best alcohol free alternative I could find, and I think it tastes very good. They sell a few different flavours.

Yes if you look for anything from the Markgräflerland and particularly the Kaiserstuhl you shouldn’t be disappointed :slightly_smiling_face: next trip to Germany but one will be Spargelzeit and so I shall be off to the Kaiserstuhl to pig out on delicious asparagus, ham and Kratzete (sort of scratched up pancake) washed down with grauburgunder. Mmmm hmmm.

1 Like

We should really keep the german red wines a secret…
But with spargel, ham & a bit of melted butter
nothing works better than a grauburgunder or a bacchus from wuerzburg spital vinyards.

2 Likes

They look lovely! Where do you buy them? I looked at super U and they had nothing 0% other than beer which I can’t drink because of the carbs!!!