Alps Shootings & Foreign Office Advice

The family were originally from Iraq and a neighbour on the news this evening said that the father had told him of problems which the neighbour was unwilling to discuss with the interviewer. If that is the case, perhaps this family was specifically targetted. I just feel so sorry for the two girls and hope that their lives can one day get back on track without too many psychological traumas.

well said Suzanne, but as an English person living about 20 minutes from Annecy, I have slight concerns that there is a crazed gunman at large whose motives are unknown. Not only were an English family killed but also a local French man (father of three) who just happened to be in the wrong place... these killings have hugely shocked everyone in the Haute Savoie area and the french news are reporting as much information as the UK. However the reason this is such a shock is because this is a VERY rare happening. My heart goes out to those 2 little girls, suddenly orphaned and I imagine traumatised beyond belief. I truly hope the 8 year old makes a full recovery so that these two sisters will have comfort from each other.

I like the rest of you have no concerns about living in France, but do think that this needs attention. Reading the reports the elder child was still upright but dropping when the cyclist found the scene. This would indicate that there was a reason to check pulses of the victims within the car - it did not happen and lead to a further eight hour trauma for a small girl . That is shocking! I understand about the need to contol forensic evidence but at what cost? One of the parents may have lived if discovered to be alive at that stage.

And in reply to the comment on weekly shootings - there is less reporting on a world wide scale from France, it does happen but is not reported on the BBC. Both countries are safe and wonderful places to live in the general scheme and in both countries most shootings are domestic incidents - which leads me to the question of why guns are allowed. Tis more dangerous walking through the wood here than walking down the centre of the 10! And given the suicide rate with guns in our immediate area ...............

It is less than a chance in a million and I have to say would get a whole lot more coverage if it had happened in the UK. Michael Ryan killed 16 and there are still debates about reform of the gun laws - however you cannot control the mind of a maniac. They will always find a way. This type of thing is very rare in the UK and we need to wait. Let the facts emerge before casting judgement.

All very peculiar. I wonder what really happened. I feel for the French guy too, who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was on paternity leave, 40 years old, three children. :-(

Off your well expressed point Suzanne, but I hope those girls receive all the love and care they need from the rest of their family (assuming they have aunts and uncles and the like) for the coming years.

They are going to need it the poor little mites.

One in a million event, 'at home' it would get far less attention.

Very well said Suzanne, there is no doubt that what happened was an awful tragedy but it is a rare occurance thus making it newsworthy. The British press are unfortunately, just doing what they do best & blowing it up out of all proportion!

France is a beautiful country with lovely friendly people and is one of the last places on earth that anyone should feel slightly concerned about visiting. As opposed to the UK where shootings happen on an almost weekly basis.

Very murky indeed.

2 Likes